What's new

Proper Method to Make Lather from Soap

I normally use shaving cream. My wife got me the Burma Shave combo. How do you go about whipping up lather. I whisked the wet brush on top of the soap and just made bubbles. How are you supposed to make lather?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I am sure the Burma brush is a Boar brush, here is a quick video on how to make some good lather from soaps. I have not used the Burma soap, but I am guessing it is pretty much like williams so it may take some practice to make a good lather.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a decent video on making lather with Williams

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqucNXP7c8Y[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I think both those vids are very poor advice, but Williams appears an anomaly among soap for ease of lathering - even so he does it rather quickly. The first one in particular wastes a lot of soap and time, and makes a huge mess. Completely unnecessary.

Starting with too much water is always way harder than starting with a drier brush and loading the soap up in it. I can't see any sense in creating foamy suds for 5+ minutes.

What he gets at the 4 minute mark, can be achieved in less than 1 minute, just by not drowning the soap in water to begin with. I mean, over 7 minutes to make lather? I'm debating whether I need a 3rd pass by then.

Last edited:
I like to use soaps and I believe I have a good grasp of how to make lather. Your best bet is to have the patience with the soaps. They are much more prone to disaster if you won't take the time to know what you are doing. Creams are easier to make lathers out of but I get a better lather out of soaps.

The basics of making lather out of soaps are:

1. Use hot water (both on the puck and on the brush) let them sit in the sink as you shower

2. Use a combo of face lathering and lathering on the puck itself (ie. swirl for about 30 seconds on the puck until you see the big bubbles gone, then start swirling the mess on your face until all of the bubbles are gone)

3. When you are done shaving, save the remaining lather in the brush and squeeze it into your bowl on your puck. This will make for an easier and creamier lather the next time around.

And most importantly, have patience with it. If it doesn't work well once, try it again but change the temp of the water, how much water, how much soap you use. Some little change in your procedure can change it from an average lather to a great one.

Top Bottom