What's new

Calibrating a LED TV ?

So I finally break down and plunk the coin down on a pricey Samsung LED. I was happy.

But, then the salesman asked me if I want to pay $300 clams for him to "optimize" the picture. I was pissed. In B&B fashion I told him negative, I will figure out how to do it myself.

Um ... I get home and this picture is in fact as weird as he said it would be. And um ... the controls are rather intimidating.

Anybody done this?:blushing:

Yes, I've done it and it does make a difference. Look for a calibration DVD that will guide you through the settings. Also read up on www.avsforum.com (It's the B&B of the Home Theater world) about your specific model and check out other peoples settings. You can try some of them and calibrate it yourself later, or just use them if you like them enough. However, there are a lot of differences between rooms, sets, and the like so a calibration DVD is your best bet. I usually go through the forum and find some settings that I like and then calibrate my set with the DVD and compare the two and tweak it until it's where I want it...

Last edited:
So I finally break down and plunk the coin down on a pricey Samsung LED. I was happy.

But, then the salesman asked me if I want to pay $300 clams for him to "optimize" the picture. I was pissed. In B&B fashion I told him negative, I will figure out how to do it myself.

Um ... I get home and this picture is in fact as weird as he said it would be. And um ... the controls are rather intimidating.

Anybody done this?:blushing:

Yes and it was not that painful. I google searched calibrating my particular model and bought a DVD and had it done in about an hour.

The search revealed various settings which I plugged in and found to work fine.

Do the search on your model, plug in the settings and see how that works for you.

Here's a site to get you started. http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/

I bought a Samsung LCD TV on Black Friday last year. Brought it home, fired it up - I mostly use the default settings and it seems to be fine. I'm not really sure what I would optimize. Sometimes I do change the aspect ratios depending on the source material, but otherwise the defaults are fine for us.

I think most Criterion and the Star Wars DVDs have a calibration screen on them, from there it's just fiddle with the settings, or find something on avsforums that tells you what to use.
The problem is that the optimal settings will change depending on the ambient light in the room.

I bought a color meter and followed the instructions here and elsewhere. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Samsung LCDs tend to be pretty close to calibrated out of the factory, at least compared to other manufacturers. Not sure about LED. Maybe not all models are like that. Some of the models have all the controls available in the user menu, so you don't need to access the service menu. I only did the grey levels with the meter, and it's a noticeable change. You'll also want a calibration DVD. As you go through the percent white screens on the disk, you take readings with the meter, which helps you to adjust the tv. It's kind of hard to do it by yourself because the meter needs to be held up to the monitor with one hand while you manipulate the program on your computer and also change the settings on the calibration DVD. I've heard some people use blue tack to hold it against the screen, which I wouldn't do, and other it might lie flat on other models.

I think most Criterion and the Star Wars DVDs have a calibration screen on them, from there it's just fiddle with the settings, or find something on avsforums that tells you what to use.
The problem is that the optimal settings will change depending on the ambient light in the room.

Also The Incredibles DVD.

Ooo I am very envious! Great choice though, I love Samsung's displays, brilliant colours. I personally have an older model Philips LCD, but I've never really calibrated it.

I didn't know you could or should calibrate it. I bought my girlfriend a Led for Christmas. Plugged it in and did the channel search. Made a few tweaks and it looks fine.

+! to AVS forum, and search for "(your tv serial #) calibration settings" and you'll find some good tips... the newer Star Wars movies are great to calibrate from as well..

While a calibration disc will get you close to where you need to be, it does not replace a professional calibration service. The professional will connect to your TV via PC and actually change settings via the service menu (that you can't get to on your own). He will change everything from color scales to how hot your TV will physically run. It is an expensive service, but it is worth it in my opinion. Here is a link to ISF, the people that do the calibration service.

http://www.imagingscience.com/index.php

I was a sales manager for Best Buy for several years, and this was one of the few Home Theater services that I felt is worthwhile. It really does make a world of difference.

Top Bottom