What's new

Torn & Ripped Jeans... what do you think?

Ok, so I'm sure everyone knows that in the 1980's torn & ripped jeans were a rockin fashion fad. It was very common to see someone wearing torn & ripped fringed out jeans with a leather jacket or hardcore rock shirt and leather boots. Now-a-days I notice young adults wearing torn & ripped jeans with bright striped polo shirts and penny loafers. The torn & ripped ("destroyed" I think they call it now) jeans sell for top dollar at the type of mall stores that play the "UN TISS un tiss UN TISS un tiss" music. Does it seem strange that this rockin fashion fad from 20 years ago has come back again, but now as a "preppy" fad?
What do you think about this?

I often say that I wish the style of the 20's-40's would come back then at least girls would be wearing clothes. I also with that with that that respect and manners would come back.

Lots of trends from the 80s have come back in some iteration or another over the past ~5 years. Fashion is cyclical - designers don't have that many ideas an people love to harken to bygone eras...

Unless you've destroyed them yourself (preferably from a dark, stiff, and raw state) there's something that looks fake about those jeans. I wouldn't put too much stock in "preppy" fads (assuming you mean high school preppy, not the much more stylish preparatory style), they fade away pretty fast.

Fashion is circular in both terms of time and location. What is big now in Europe may be huge in the US next year and huge again in Europe in some variation in 10-20 yrs. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I wouldn't want to pay money for for jeans that had holes in them before I'd even worn them! As for the look, meh its stylized fashion. I prefer nice fitting jeans and a t-shirt, I must be weird :001_huh:

Torn, frayed, and/or bleached jeans are only cool if you wear a feather ear ring and tie a red bandana around one of your ankles and possible one of your wrists. You get bonus points if you wear a quarter sized button that says Def Lep.

i don't even like the look of stonewashed jeans, i buy deep dark indigo and wear them out myself

Same. And I'm 20, so they are very popular with my age group. Can't for the life of me figure out why.

$150 jeans that wear out in 6 months, or $40 jeans that last for years. Hmm... I thought us college kids were supposed to be smart.

Unless you've destroyed them yourself (preferably from a dark, stiff, and raw state) there's something that looks fake about those jeans. I wouldn't put too much stock in "preppy" fads (assuming you mean high school preppy, not the much more stylish preparatory style), they fade away pretty fast.
+1 I've got a couple of pairs that are "distressed" but they got that way as workwear
:thumbup1:

Same. And I'm 20, so they are very popular with my age group. Can't for the life of me figure out why.

$150 jeans that wear out in 6 months, or $40 jeans that last for years. Hmm... I thought us college kids were supposed to be smart.

I'm personally a fan of the $150 jeans that last decades, but I'm weird.

I often say that I wish the style of the 20's-40's would come back then at least girls would be wearing clothes. I also with that with that that respect and manners would come back.

I'll also vote for bringing back the styles of the 20's-40's especially the respect and manners. I like the suits, shoes and all the neat hats from that era. So now all we have to do is have fashion designers tell people what their new fad is going to be. Just don't bring back the criminal gangsters lol.

I wouldn't wear them myself, but torn jeans don't bother me too much so long as they are worn in the appropriate environment and aren't too torn up or torn in indecent places. What drives me slightly nuts tho are frayed/destroyed cuffs on any trousers or jeans from wearing pants too long and letting them drag on the ground.

I've often thought/hoped that at least women's fashions of the 30s/40s need to make a long over due come back. That look just exudes class to me. As for men's fashions, sorry, but I will not ever wear a suit to a picnic or informal event. (yes, I'm exaggerating a little). But, many of my contemporaries do seem to need lessons in how to dress appropriately for certain occasions.

Manners/courtesy are long over due for a comeback (for that matter, so is common sense).

Last edited:
Torn, frayed, and/or bleached jeans are only cool if you wear a feather ear ring and tie a red bandana around one of your ankles and possible one of your wrists. You get bonus points if you wear a quarter sized button that says Def Lep.

Whew! I'm good then, though I will have to move my bandanna from my thigh to my ankle.

I think if you have torn or ripped jeans, you should either get new jeans or patch them up. Preferably patch them up. YOU be the trendsetter, don't let others set the trend for you. :thumbup1:

I too think the styles and manners of the 30's and 40's should come back. I try to act and dress as vintage as I can get away with (money, time) to make the world a little better (in my perspective). I even took the alarm fob off my key chain so that I would make sure to open the car door for my wife.

Last edited:
I'll also vote for bringing back the styles of the 20's-40's especially the respect and manners. I like the suits, shoes and all the neat hats from that era. So now all we have to do is have fashion designers tell people what their new fad is going to be. Just don't bring back the criminal gangsters lol.

But at least the gangsters were real gangsters not these kids that think they are now that will stab you because they want the hat you are wearing or because you didnt move out of the way for them at the mall. Just because you wear your pants so you *** hangs out and your cap on side ways, while listening to 50 does not make you a gangster.

end rant.

Top Bottom