What's new

Late birthday present: Hone Gift Certificate. What to buy?

So, I was disappointed to find that my dad's coticule is gone, but I got a late birthday present of a gift cert to www.BestSharpeningStones.com.

I was looking around and there are only really two things that interest me.

One is the belgian coticule.
The other is the diamond "DMT dia-sharp" stones. One at 8000 (XX-fine) and one at (not sure how this is extra-fine) 1200 grit.

My main question is which is going to work better, and for longer? It looks like they'll be relatively the same ballpark price if I go 6x2 coticule or x-fine and xx-fine diamond.

I want to pick up a used razor somewhere and fully restore it. I really enjoy that sort of thing. I want something that I can use to set the bevel and to establish a final edge.
I have a cheap stone from harbor freight that I've used on my knives (has a serious groove) that could work for nicks and serious blade damage, but that's beyond what I'm looking to do. Even with the groove in that stone (which I think is maybe 1 1k/2k or 2k/4k) I've gotten my high-carbon steel fishing knife to shave hair off my arms.

So, recommendations? And justifications? I'd really appreciate it.
Happy Shaves
William

Work better for what? They do very different things. Work longer? Either of the three should last at least the rest of your life if used properly.

A coticule can be used to set bevels and take blades to shave ready, but it takes some skill to do it well. Personally, I prefer synthetics for their speed and consistancy, so I would say get a DMT8C to lap other hones and go buy some Naniwas. Let me be very clear, that is my own preference.

Shaving arm hair is a pretty standard test to see if your bevel is set on a 1k hone.

My mistake, the 8x2 coticule will be around the same, the 6x2 would be cheaper than the two diamond "stones".

I'm favoring the coticule, and I don't mind the learning curve, so long as I have a shave ready razor. I don't like DE razors... :blushing:

Anyway, better for taking a razor from abused to shave ready.

If I get the 8k diamond hone, will I need a more coarse stone to set the bevel, etc, or can I use the 8k? If I use the 8k, will it wear it faster?

Is the 8k diamond going to produce as smooth an edge as a coticule?

Thanks for the fast response.

The DMT 8k is too fine to set the bevel on. You need to get the 1.2k as well if you're planning on restoring razors.

One more question - is a slurry stone necessary?

Yes! If you want it for more than a touch-up hone you most definatly need a slurry stone. You should check out this page.

For an easy first honing do the unicot method. I just got my first hone, a coti, yesterday and I managed to get my razor to shaveable condition in a few hours. :thumbup1:

So, get a coticule. You won't regret it!

Molto Bene! Okay, Coticule it is. I don't mind the learning curve.

I am going to need my daily shaver honed though, before I go learning how to hone on the new coticule.

The last question - Will an 8x2 be more satisfying than a 6x2 coticule? I'd rather buy one that will be good, even if it's 20% more now, and be happy with it. Otherwise, I may end up buying two coticules.

Maybe I'll order it tomorrow night! :D

Thanks for all the replies,
William

Length is really a personal preference. I find that 6 x 2 is sufficient for me, especially given the price increase, but I doubt you could buy an 8 x 2 and regret it later. So, if you have the money, I'd say go big. If price is an issue, you should be happy with the 6 x 2.

:refrains from a juvenile joke about 'length':

Sweet deal, thanks for all the replies. I ordered the 6x2 this morning. Woohoo! Includes 2-day shipping in the price. I could do with slower service for a lower price, but... oh well.

Happy Shaves,
William

Top Bottom