What's new

Wow... Balsa... Buttery

Hello,

When I was a kid, I was in the Cub Scouts.

They taught us to sharpen our knives much the same way I later learned that a straight razor should be honed.

I developed the Cub Scout technique over the years, and found that using wooden tongue depressors after the fine stone really put an edge on a knife. I noticed that the blades seemed to take on the consistency of the sharpening tool that was last used.

Fast forward 20, 25 years...

I was in the hobby shop the other day and found some balsa wood. Nice and soft.

Because the panels don't cost much at all, I picked one up for a couple bucks.

Before shaving tonight, I stropped the razor with leather as I always do - and it does a good job, but it's a bit, eh, harsh might be the best word. You can tell the blade has been sharpened recently.

But I then took the balsa wood to it in the same fashion. I kid you not - the blade glided over my skin and felt very smooth. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was doing anything if it hadn't been singing and if I hadn't been able to see in the mirror that my whiskers were giving way to clean skin.

Better yet, I have very sensitive skin - and for the first time shaving with anything, I have no razor burn at all. Just a slightly warm feeling that actually feels a bit good.

Is this experience unique, or is balsa widely used like this? I don't remember ever seeing anything about it.

Josh

P.S. The piece I got has no knots in it. If you try this... well, try not to get knots, you know? J.S.

your description very much reminds me of a description I read for a balsa strop on eBay , the price was comical.
Imo balsa is not working better than leather for stropping.
By the way CrO on balsa for touch ups is what many people use.

Last edited:
I think the Cedarurnitureman on Ebay uses a Balsa strop also. People have said good things about his honing.

Top Bottom