What's new

Is 4/8" ok for a starter?

Just scored this French Straight on the bay :thumbup:
I'll be sending it for proper honing to get it "shave ready" (will practice myself on a Gold Dollar and another "cheapy" first).

Is 4/8" a good size for a first straight? Or am I giving myself extra work for my technique?

With a smaller razor, it is not as easy to judge the shaving angle, simply because it is a smaller blade (less sticking off your face to watch/judge the angle of). I also find that smaller blades are easier to roll on both strops and hones, again, just because they are narrower (shorter "wheelbase").

That said, any good razor with a good edge will give you a good shave, regardless of size, grind or steel.

For a good while I "thought" that I only liked large blades. This week I added a pre-Dovo "Tennis" #80 to my rotation and I am liking it. It is about a 9/16.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
4/8 is a bit small for me but I think if you want to start somewhere, it's not so bad. Just make sure that someone hone it properly!

It's bad. But I don't think it's going to make that much difference. Don't worry about it and shave.

+1

I bought a couple of 4/8 in addition to my 6/8, just for the fun of it. While the angle on the face isn't as obvious, you can still see it if you're looking for it, and if you keep your strop tight and the spine on the strop, you don't need to worry about rolling the edge.

The major difference of a narrower blade is you'll have to clear lather from it a little more often. To do that, I highly recommend a wet sponge, a tip I got from Chimensch's video, rather than rinsing under running water and risking dinging the blade on the faucet (not to mention wasting water).

I've recently started using a 4/8 Puma after using 7/8 or 8/8 razors, and it's really a lot easier for me. I love the way that I can maneuver it around my face, but as with all things on this site: YMMV.

4/8 Blades are excellent shavers IMHO. I've heard a lot of guys mention how they are harder to maneuver on the strops and hones, but I've had different experiences. I've known several newbs who have had 4/8s and even 1 3/8s razors who absolutely loved them and had no real trouble.

Oh well... They are really fun and nice to me

^ 3/8? wow.

TS its all a matter of personal preference, but i'd start closer to the middle since you'll find that razors at either extreme (3/8 and 9/8) need different handling. you'd rather learn and get used to a 5 or 6/8 and, when ready, explore up or down as prefered.

4/8 is a bit small for me but I think if you want to start somewhere, it's not so bad. Just make sure that someone hone it properly!

It arrived yesterday :thumbup: looks like a great razor!

I'm sending it to Steve at The Invisible Edge for a hone and polish...that will give me a good benchmark to aim for when I start practice honing on the couple of cheap 6/8's I've also bought (yes, SRAD is already kicking in).

a century ago the acknowledged wisdom was that beginners should get the lighter, more maneouverable 4/8 to start with, and then get wider razors if they desired later.

I quickly grew out of my 4/8 razor but it was really comfortable and unintimidating to learn to shave with a smaller blade for me.

It arrived yesterday :thumbup: looks like a great razor!

I'm sending it to Steve at The Invisible Edge for a hone and polish...that will give me a good benchmark to aim for when I start practice honing on the couple of cheap 6/8's I've also bought (yes, SRAD is already kicking in).

heavens I hope i get that one right! :w00t:

To me newbies should start with the shorter blades and thicker grinds.

Getting around your face is for most the tougher soil to plow than the time on the strop at the onset of this obsession, and better to be concentrating on what a blade feels like than what the cutting angle looks like.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to post an observation....

After 18 shaves with the 4/8 Round (and my 2 latest shaves with a 6/8 Spike) I'd say that (for me), a small razor IS a good starting point! I'll acknowledge that the generally "preferred" 5/8 or 6/8 is a more average base-line to work from. However, the smaller size and lighter weight has made the step into straights a lot less intimidating than it could have been (again, this is just my opinion...as always YMMV) .

The angle probably was a bit less intuitive, with the 4/8 than a larger blade, although I was (and still am) taking my time to get the whole set-up right so I didn't rush things. Additionally, I have the advantage of a job that doesn't require me to be clean-shaven so I don't have the extra pressure of getting a good shave every time...if I do it's great, if not it's no big deal! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom