What's new

Is 4/8" ok for a starter?

Congrats, Peter!

I'm very glad to hear you're positive experiences. Keep it up, Sir :thumbup1:

It's definitely a steeper and longer learning curve, than it was with a DE. I know I've still got a lot to learn, but the journey has been made a lot more enjoyable thanks to the experience of gentlemen like yourself, who've been happy to point me in the right direction, even if there's no guarantee I'll take the advice!! :001_smile
Hopefully, in the future, I'll be able to help those who come behind me....even if it's just to warn them about the potholes in the road that I'm bound to fall into :lol:

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work. Y'no, there are days I wish my 5/8 was 4/8 instead. I haven't even honed the 7/8 yet.

I have a couple of 4/8 razors that I really like. Stropping them is a little differant, but really not that bad once you get used to it. Far as the shave goes a 4/8 is easier to handle in the tight spots like under the nose. Now if you really want to try something differant get a 3/8. I have a Dovo 3/8 that is a differant animal entirely. It shaves great but my big hands have a tough time handling it on the strop. I'm on the look-out for a nice 2/8 just to try one.

I dunno...I'd almost say it'd better. For me the smaller blade seemed easier to control and manipulate into different angles and strokes, whereas the larger blades took getting used to. A 4/8 makes for a nice shaver, imo.

4/8 is a fine size to start with. I know the bigger blade (6/8 and higher) can be a little intimidating when you hold them in your hand.

Every blade is a little different to strop, but once you learn to strop on one blade the adjustments should be fast.

Probably the biggest negative is if you re sale it, the smaller blades don't get as much money.

I started with a 5/8 and quickly acquired a 4/8. The 4/8 was a LOT less intimidating and shaved every bit as well as the 5/8.

4/8 is a fine size to start with. I know the bigger blade (6/8 and higher) can be a little intimidating when you hold them in your hand.

Every blade is a little different to strop, but once you learn to strop on one blade the adjustments should be fast.

Probably the biggest negative is if you re sale it, the smaller blades don't get as much money.

Now that I've got comfortable with the 4/8, I've found that switching to a 6/8 things are feeling a lot more intuitive than they did initially :001_smile

Low re-sell value also makes them a lot cheaper to pick up in the first place! :thumbup:

Top Bottom