What's new

Breaking in Allen Edmonds

I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Nashua and a pair of Allen Edmonds Eastport in January and February, respectively. I have worn both every other day. Sometimes I will skip a day or two of wearing either, so for arguments sake, let us say I have worn the Nashuas around 30 times and the Eastports around 20 times. I love the shoes, but they still feel a bit tight width-wise. On the Nashuas, my right pinkie toe gets sore after a while of wearing the shoes. On the Eastport my left big toe, left pinkie toe, and right pinkie toe all get sore after a while of wearing the shoes.

I purchased them from Nordstrom. On the salesman's business card, it said something along the lines of "Certified Shoe Fitter", so I am guessing he knows at least a little bit about fitting shoes. He told me to buy the shoes slightly tight, and I listened to him.

So...is this normal? Should I get them stretched? Did the Nordstrom guy give me bad advice? Should I sue?

Ok, just kidding about the suing part.

I have several pair of EEE-width AE shoes, and in my opinion what you describe should not be happening. What width are yours?

I'd go back to Nordstrom and see what they can do for you. FWIW, if you have the opportunity to go to an AE company store you'll find a much bigger variety, which is important for guys with wide feet. The last time I bought AEs I had to try on a lot of pairs to find some that fit properly.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Park Avenues and they fit great right out of the box - very little break in required.

I'm not saying this to gloat, but to emphasize the comments of others to the effect that you should see if you can get something done with the shoes (that being said, I think you might have a hard time returning shoes that you've worn between 20 and 30 times).

The toebox typically doesn't stretch much (so if you told the sales person it was tight in the toe area and he told you it would stretch, he's just wrong), but the mid-foot area does have a fair bit of give in a good pair of shoes.

. He told me to buy the shoes slightly tight, and I listened to him.

Do you think they will take them back?

I got 11.5 D. He said the next higher width was too wide.

Bring them back to Nordstrom. Get a different sales person. The guy who sold you the shoes has no idea what he's doing. My experience has been that AE shoes run slightly narrow. I normally wear a B width. If I get AE shoes, I always buy them in a C. Even then, they're a little narrower than I like. It is also possible that AE shoes do not fit your feet well. I have found Johnston & Murphy fit my feet better than AE (in dress shoes -- J&M casual shoes don't fit me). I'm not saying J&M will work for you, I'm just emphasizing that despite their stellar reputation, AE isn't for everybody.

In my experience, if a shoe does not fit correctly in the store, it's never going to fit right.

Nordstom wants to make you a happy customer. Their salesman sold you shoes that did not fit you. Bring them back.

When you bring the shoes back, if you don't like the answer you get from the salesperson on the floor, go up to customer service. They will either return them for you, or give you store credit.

Last edited:
They are not wide enough. Try to buy shoes in the afternoon or evening when you feet will be at their largest (seriously). If Allen Edmonds shoes are not for you, Alden is another excellent brand.

V

VR6ofpain

Yes Nordstroms will give you full credit for shoes you have worn.

I brought back a pair of double oak AE's I just couldn't grow to like (enjoyed the style, but not the stiff double oak sole). They gave me full credit toward another shoe, even though I had worn the shoes a bunch and owned them for over a year. Nordstrom's shoe policy is amazing, actually. They will even give you a refund if you desire (again full purchase price).

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They are not wide enough. Try to buy shoes in the afternoon or evening when you feet will be at their largest (seriously). If Allen Edmonds shoes are not for you, Alden is another excellent brand.

This is advise I got already when I was in my early twenties! I bought a pair of shoes on Saturday in the morning, they fitted perfectly. I wore them on Monday and shortly after lunch they were really way too narrow, the rest of the day was pure horror. Now, if I buy any shoes, I would go in the evening after work. It is true that your feet easy gain a width size, so instead of a D you better get an E. Nothing worse - for me -than too tight shoes. But since I know my exact size for AE, I can buy them online or directly at their ShoeBank in Port Washington when I am in WI. Also, good shoes do not give much or get much wider, cheap shoes do!

Nordstrom's shoe policy is amazing, actually. They will even give you a refund if you desire (again full purchase price).

I just hope Nordstrom does not attempt to resell the shoes as new.

I will just get an exchange. Their sale on these two pairs was too good to pass up.

Nordstroms has always been good about exchanging shoes. My ex-wife used to buy pairs and return them months later if she did not like them. Never a question about the return.

V

VR6ofpain

Matthew-
Did everything work out?

It was a bummer to hear that the Eastports didn't work out for you. I recently picked up some boat shoes from LL Bean for $49. They are an amazing deal. Very well made (in El Salvador though, not the USA) and very comfortable. The price is just icing on the cake.

Matthew-
Did everything work out?

It was a bummer to hear that the Eastports didn't work out for you. I recently picked up some boat shoes from LL Bean for $49. They are an amazing deal. Very well made (in El Salvador though, not the USA) and very comfortable. The price is just icing on the cake.

I was able to return them. The sales clerk, or "certified shoe fitter", was extremely friendly and ordered me two of the sames shoes, both one width wider. That should do the trick.

$49 is not bad. Heck, it is a steal. Nice grab!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've had several pairs of dress shoes that seemed too small at first. After a lengthy break-in period (wearing them only half-days or less) they eventually became quite comfortable (except for one pair on a too-small & narrow last that went back right away).

It is only through experience that you learn what a tight shoe that WILL break in and fit feels like compared to one that WON'T.

"he said ... "

Always try the shoes on ... always try the next size ... the salesman can advise, but only you know how the shoe fits.
I was able to return them. The sales clerk, or "certified shoe fitter", was extremely friendly and ordered me two of the sames shoes, both one width wider. That should do the trick.

$49 is not bad. Heck, it is a steal. Nice grab!

:thumbup1: Glad to hear that customer service still exists in some places.

While we are on the topic, which of their shoes would you gentlemen consider their best dress shoe? Park Avenue?

Top Bottom