What's new

How do I melt soap?

B

bluefoxicy

I don't have a microwave. How do I put this stuff in the mug?

Put the soap in the mug (cut into pieces if needed) and put the mug into a pan of boiling water. This is assuming you are not using a tallow based soap.

I don't have a microwave. How do I put this stuff in the mug?

An alternative to using a microwave is to use a cheese grater! I did this to mold two pucks of Williams into one mass.

Use the finest setting your grater has, and have it drop into a large bowl. It will take a while; don't try to rush it. Once you've sufficiently shredded your soap, make sure your hands are dry and then start to mush the shavings together. Now transfer it to your mug or bowl or whatever, and mash it down into the bottom, packing it in with your fingertips. I finished mine off with a quick soak of hot water on top, and then poured it off and let it dry. It might not be perfectly flat on top, but it will start to even out after a few latherings.

B

bluefoxicy

Put the soap in the mug (cut into pieces if needed) and put the mug into a pan of boiling water. This is assuming you are not using a tallow based soap.

What happens if i cook tallow?

You have cooked soap.

cheese grater works pretty well regardless of soap type. then the shape of whatever you are putting it in doesnt matter.

When I melted about 3 Col. Conk pucks into single container, I used my coffee maker. Turn it on so the hot place heats up, and it should begin melting within a few minutes.

Melting can work, but as our soap mistresses have said, you are jeopardizing the performance and the fragrance by doing so.

Use a veggie peeler or cheese grater and you can actualy make it "better than new".

Points for good guesses why.

B

bluefoxicy

Melting can work, but as our soap mistresses have said, you are jeopardizing the performance and the fragrance by doing so.

The fragrance of my new Ogallala Bay Rum soap is "egg nog" :huh:

I usually do the same....but then I pour the cooled soap into small, clear "Glad" food storage containers that come with blue lids. Then I have a nice convenient bowl that is unbreakable, stores nicely and the brush fits into the containers to just load up my brush. Great for travelling with soaps.

Tutti Frutti, Cheers:thumbup:

An alternative to using a microwave is to use a cheese grater! I did this to mold two pucks of Williams into one mass.

Use the finest setting your grater has, and have it drop into a large bowl. It will take a while; don't try to rush it. Once you've sufficiently shredded your soap, make sure your hands are dry and then start to mush the shavings together. Now transfer it to your mug or bowl or whatever, and mash it down into the bottom, packing it in with your fingertips. I finished mine off with a quick soak of hot water on top, and then poured it off and let it dry. It might not be perfectly flat on top, but it will start to even out after a few latherings.

I agree. Melting soaps can damage or even destroy the look, feel, and lather of them. I recommend grating it and smashing it into a container. You can mix multiple types of soaps but you don't risk damaging them. I do this with Williams/VDH as a cheap way of making a cheap but awesome smelling, great lather inducing soap.

Use a veggie peeler or cheese grater and you can actualy make it "better than new".

Points for good guesses why.

I think it makes it easier to load your brush, and easier to generate a good lather.

Top Bottom