What's new

Trading "The Chemicalz!!!111" for fewer chemicals?

B

bluefoxicy

So I noticed the shampoo bar thing a while back and have ordered some Ogallala stuff. I also tend to use Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo, from the bar soap; and have used Head & Shoulders.

Here's something interesting: you can Wikipedia almost every ingredient in these things. Notice Dr Bronner's main selling point is its use of the Cannabis plant (i.e. they use hemp oil); it's also acidic (citric acid) while Ogallala is alkali (sodium hydroxide).

Also notice the liquid version of Dr. Bronner's has more water, and no salt; there's no real difference between a liquid soap and a bar soap, and I prefer to lather from a bar than use liquid product.

What interests me most here isn't that Head & Shoulders contains "lots of harmful chemicals!!!!" and Ogallala/Dr.B contain "all-natural ingredients"; but rather that I actually understand what's in the latter, while the former is a carefully engineered chemical mess. We don't determine the health effects of coconut oil; we determine that it's a safe product for human consumption, in the same way we know Nightshade and Milkweed are poisonous.

Most of us have become accustomed to Glycerin (which we know comes from vegetable sources), tallow (animal or vegetable sources i.e. coconut oil), or lanolin (animal source) based shave soaps. We know they use coconut, palm, jojoba, etc for their structure; or a bunch of chemicals derived from these (stearate, tallowate, etc); or industrial chemicals. Certain soaps like Ogallala are all vegetable; while Tabac is somewhat chemically engineered, but mainly just animal/vegetable products or modified animal/vegetable products.

Has anyone here purposely reduced their stock reliance on chemically engineered products in favor of animal/vegetable product? Not just switching to Dr. Bronner's and some MWF or Ogallala, but actually systematically eliminating everything from toothpaste to laundry detergent?

Personally I don't have a problem with SLS; and I've moved my detergent needs (dish, laundry) to Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds, which is pine/coconut oil, water, and Sodium Laurel Sulfate. I'm also fine with Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) and Borax. My toothpaste is Arm & Hammer Baking Soda; I may try Tom's (with fluoride) because I want to try their cinnamon stuff mentioned in another thread. My soaps and shampoos are Dr. Bronner's and Ogallala these days.

Head & Shoulders

Active ingredient: Pyrithione zinc 1%

Inactive ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate [harmless], sodium lauryl sulfate [harmless], cocamide MEA [Foaming agent, allergen, high irritation], zinc carbonate [Astringent], glycol distearate, dimethicone, fragrance, cetyl alcohol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, Magnesium carbonate|magnesium carbonate hydroxide, ammonium laureth sulfate, benzyl alcohol, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone [Wikipedia it], methylisothiazolinone, sodium xylenesulfonate, blue 1, red 4

Ogallala Bay Rum body/shampoo bar

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Purified Water, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein,Titanium Oxide, Coloring & Fragrance

Dr. Bronner's (Lavender) bar soap

Ingredients: Saponified Organic Coconut, Organic Palm & Organic Olive Oils (w/ Retained Glycerin), Water, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lavandin Oil, Organic Lavender Oil, Salt, Citric Acid, Vitamin E.

Dr. Bronner's (Lavender) liquid soap

Ingredients: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lavandin & Lavender Oils, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

I recently started using Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap as a body soap and for washing my hair. And just yesterday I made laundry soap (from a recipe I got off the internet) by grating a bar of Colgate Octagon soap and mixing it with Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 20 Mule Team Borax. If it works, I have enough stuff to make laundry soap for a year and it cost less than $10.

FWIW, I am not doing this out of fear of any ingredients, I am just a cheap bastard.

Last edited:
I went through the same "enlightenment" after spending some time on these boards. However, it's so frustrating finding completely safe products; now I'll settle for anything that I deem as a good trade off between "natural" and chemical. I've been a bit slow with this, and I've only switched my body soap to Dr. Bronners. I need to find new liquid shampoo also.

How is Sal's Suds? It's a little expensive but if I can really use to clean dishes, the house and laundry I could consider it.

Have you translated this change to your shaving products?

Top Bottom