What's new

US retailers willing to ship to Canada?

Sorry for the long Title folks...just trying to catch everybody's attention...VintageBladesLLC (Jim) won't ship to Canada and I'd really like to find a US Retailer carrying Rooney brushes...:tongue_sm

I know Classic carries them but their inventory...for lack of a better word...sucks!

Last edited:
I purchased from both ShavingEssentials and WestCoastShaving, both ship to Canada but not sure if they carry those brushes. Perhaps consider an alternative? I love my Omega boar.

I've had excellent results dealing with Classic, I even bought my Rooney from them about a year ago. They always seemed to have a good inventory of all their shave brushes. Have you had a problem with them?

I just purchased a Feather AC DX from them along with some creams and AS, and I had the same excellent service. What makes you say their inventory sucks? I know at times they are out of stock, but they seem to replenish rather quickly. :thumbup1: I don't work for them or anything, but I've always found them to be right up there as a good place to do business.

I say pass on that and get a Simpsons. I have both and my Duke 1 was $10 less than my Rooney 1/1. It also out performs it. But I suppose you might have the same problem with shipping though...

Nope, VintageBlades is the only retailer I've ever come across that refused to ship to me...all others I've used, classic/SRD etc have no issues with it.

I'm currently using a Rooney heritage stubby in size 2 (medium) with a 24mm knot and 48mm loft. The tips are absolutely fantastic but I'm finding the knot a bit too dense and for fear of offending other folks...a bit floppy. I was really hoping the heritage would be stiffer and keep the bloom in check so I could control it a bit better.

I noticed the stubby small with a 22mm knot size and a 44mm loft on VintageBlades and was wondering if this would hit the sweet spot! The smaller knot should have better flow-through, and the shorter loft would be more controllable. I face lather most of the time off of soaps...

One alternative, and I haven't settled on this one yet is simply to get a shavemac customized with a 21mm/42-44mm loft...

If you live close to the US border, google around, ask around, there may be a convenience address outfit just the other side of it you can use. I use one in Pembina ND for those suppliers that either won't ship to Canada or insist on using UPS. I just drive across and clear it through Customs myself. Easy. CAN'T ship to Canada is another problem altogether. That's either a US export reg or a Canadian import reg, but those things are rare.

or you can use a US adress mail , i use this one but there's other that do the same thing .it's in california so you sometime have to pay the tax though .

Happy to sell you a Simpsons and ship to Canada; some mfgr/distributor/retail agreements prohibit sales of some brands to some countries, perhaps that's what's at work here?

Nope, no manufacturer issues since we're still continental US. Plus we've got local vendors that sell both except they never have any stock.

Well, just exchanged some emails with westcoastshaving...placed an order with them. They don't carry rooney's though. Still haven't found anybody else besides classic and vintage carrying the rooney's in any significant number. Classic is all out of the heritage stubbys in the smaller sizes....they're not sure when they will get a new shipment either.

If I recall the issue with VB shipping to Canada is not a "can't" situation but doing so became a problem due to paperwork, time to go to the Post Office or something like that. In any event it was a business decision that Jim made and I am sure there was good cause behind it, not something he would do unless there was a good reason.

Well...fair enough. He owns the business and it's his call. I recieved 14 messages from members in a similar situation with VB or were in the past and had moved on....I guess we canadians are just too few for it to really matter when it comes down to it!

If I recall the issue with VB shipping to Canada is not a "can't" situation but doing so became a problem due to paperwork, time to go to the Post Office or something like that. In any event it was a business decision that Jim made and I am sure there was good cause behind it, not something he would do unless there was a good reason.

Well...fair enough. He owns the business and it's his call. I recieved 14 messages from members in a similar situation with VB or were in the past and had moved on....I guess we canadians are just too few for it to really matter when it comes down to it!

To publicly state that because that we have decided not to ship outside the US means that Canadians don't matter I feel is being a bit harsh. This is a business. My goal, particularly in these times, is to stay in business. That is the best way that Vintage Blades can continue to serve its customers.

Just to put this all in perspective, as was fully explained in this forum and others at the time, the decision to stop shipping to Canada was made as a pure and simple business decision, just like my decision not to ship to other countries overseas had been made earlier in the evolution of Vintage Blades. Anyone who owns and operates a business understands that you have to make this type of decision all the time. We tried to make it work for us, but unfortunately a year ago it became apparent that the program that we had established for Canada would not be able to sustain itself. Fortunately, in addition to the fine US retailers mentioned in this tread that do ship to Canada, you now have at least two additional well established Canadian retailers in the shaving products area that were not around when we started our Canadian program.

I want all my friends in Canada to understand that I have the greatest appreciation for them and for their country and truly valued the business that they sent my way in the past. My family and I have spent significant time traveling throughout Canada over the years. My goal this year is to finally make a trip up to Tatamagouche to visit my dear friend Sara Bonnyman and enjoy some single malt while sitting in her blueberry fields.

In closing, I want to say, as expressed in both of my email responses to the original poster, that I am sorry that we are unable to meet the needs of the numerous people that contact us every week wanting to purchase our products from locations outside the US. We are a small retail shop that ships only by UPS. For a number of reasons, we do not use the US postal service. For this and a variety of other reasons, we will only ship to address within the US.

Thanks for your response Jim. Appreciate it and I do understand. It's just difficult since I've always found you carrying inventory that I end up liking a tad bit more than the other offerings online.

I went down the road of setting up a US re-mailing service. I'm pretty sure you're familiar with them. I'll try going down that route on my next purchase with you to see if I can purchase via paypal, have you send it to my 'virtual' address in california and then have it sent to me in Ottawa. Failing this, I'll ask some of my friends in the forum to make the purchase on my behalf.

Meanwhile, I picked up a two-band chubby from John at westcoastshaving, fantastic gentleman to deal with as well. And my friend michael (sueto) showed me so many pictures of his emperor that I ended up buying a two-band from Phil Huntsinger at bullgoose...enough can't be said about my experience in shopping with him! I wasn't even looking to buy a second brush so soon but Phil was so accommodating that I ended up buying it from him never the less :)

So for now, totally brushed out and don't anticipate another purchase anytime soon!! My wife and daughter are away for a few days...I've never done anything so sneaky before :)

- Sameer

Seems to work really well...$8.5+actual shipping costs which are so darn nominal anyways if you use USPS. You get assigned an address and you simply use that when purchasing. When the package arrives, the service mails it to you at home. It must however be an item that is legally allowed so be careful of that, otherwise it works great.

All you need to know @ www.Shipito.com :)

Top Bottom