What's new

In the shower or out?

As a newbie, I'm full of questions. I'm curious as to how many shave in the shower? I have been shaving in the shower with my Fusion for years, but I think I would have to build up my DE technique and confidence level before I attempt using it in the shower. Also, I wonder about storing shaving gear in the shower - especially the brush. Any thoughts on the subject?

really up to w/e you are comfortable with.
personally, i do my shower routine then i do the shave routine out of the shower. i think its just a better experience for me.
as for storage - i would advise against storing it all in the shower unless you are the type that dries out your shower after use. obviously you don't want excess water sitting in your brush and in my case my cats like to lick the water off of things...shiny metal things...with blades...so i can't do that.

Welcome to B&B.

With a mirror I might give shaving in the shower a try. Without one absolutely not. I usually shave before I shower and do Kyle's prep. For the last two days I did shower first. Not sure about the results. I think it made my skin dryer than I like it to be for a shave.

+1 about the storage in the shower. You will end up with rusty blades and a moldy brush if you aren't careful.

Welcome!

I find that shaving is a ritual that I enjoy and don't rush. I always do it out of the shower when I can appreciate the experience with it's sounds and smells.

I find that shaving is a ritual that I enjoy and don't rush. I always do it out of the shower when I can appreciate the experience with it's sounds and smells.

Same here. With the shower running I can't really smell the soap I'm using to shave. Nor can I hear the sound of the razor cutting.

That plus I use a heckuva lot less water.

I find that shaving outside the shower is better. You can really take your time and enjoy all aspects of the shave, the sounds, the smells, all without the distractions of the shower. But then you have to find what is the best for you, so neither is right or wrong. :w00t: :001_rolle

I have to agree with shaving outside of shower. For me, it just feel wasteful to have all that water running.

Seeing as we only have one shower in our house but multiple sinks...out of the shower. Besides, with all that mist, water and soap I can imagine how it could become rather dangerous.

Seeing as we only have one shower in our house but multiple sinks...out of the shower. Besides, with all that mist, water and soap I can imagine how it could become rather dangerous.

Yeah, I would especially not use a straight razor while in the shower. It would not be good if you slip on a bar of soap while holding a straight razor.:behead:

Sometimes I do.....then again, sometimes I don't. It all depends on what side of the bed I got up from in the morning.

Tutti Frutti, Cheers

I prefer after my shower for a couple of reasons:

1. My soap/brush/ bowl has some time to sit in hot water during it.
2. My face feels better before the shower when it has a chance to be in the shower
3. You can put some conditioner on your face and let that set on your face while you scrub the rest of yourself.

It's all personal preferance but I would suggest not to do without a shower at all. I have tried rushing and just washing my face and it does not bode well for me. Take the time to prep your face before shaving and that includes the shower.

I too, shave after my shower. For the same reasons listed by others. Primarily, so I can take my time and enjoy the ritual.

Pete

I shave after a shower as well. I used to shave in the shower with my Mach 3 and do it by feel. However, with my HD I decided I wanted the full experience. I have a nice big mirror, a sink of hot water, and bright lights.

Welcome!

I agree with that. I use to shave in the shower with cartridge razors but I would never do it with my Merkur Futur for several reasons.
- Shaving with a DE is more involved I need more tools, space and time.
- In the shower everything is wet, one slip with a DE will cost you more
- The mirror is always Foggy, even anti-fog ones (in my experience), I need to be able to see the details
- As DjSneak said, the shaving experience sounds better and smells better out of the shower.

I shave out of the shower. I love the whole process of shaving, so out of the shower works better for me.

100% in the shower for me. Always did, without lather or cream back before I became an enlightened DE user. Does not add any time as I only do one pass and am balding with very short hair and naturally sweet smelling so I don't need to spend a lot of time otherwise soaping or shampooing. My skin is very sensitive so leaving any type of residue from a sink-side shave on it will cause trouble. I keep the brush in the shower and it is dry every morning. I keep a puck or two in coffee cups balanced on the towel bar. I fill the cup with the hottest water the tap will produce, drop the brush in to soak and then lather up a few minutes later. I get great lather and the steam and moisture leads to a very smooth and close shave even with only one pass. After years and years of searching for a 'fogless' mirror I have found one that really works. It attaches between the head and the supply pipe and directs a small stream of warm water over the back of the mirror and it works really slick. I also brush my teeth in the shower and dry off before I step out so I emerge, like Superman, completely ready to start my day.

Top Bottom