What's new

Aftershave vs. lotion??

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay guys, who uses which, and why? I use an aftershave lotion (Anthony Logistics) rather than a traditional aftershave (the liquid with the alcohol in it) because I've heard that is best to moisturise your face.

What do you use? Have you switched from one to the other? What's your favourite or 'must avoid' product?

I know some guys like aftershave for the scent, but I can manage that with cologne, so sure talk about the scent, but also talk about how the product of your choice affects your face.

You may have to draw a further distinction: aftershave balms vs. aftershave splashes.

For example, my Pinaud Clubman (which is a liquid splash) is also called a 'lotion'.

But on to answer your question:

I originally only used balms because of their superior moisturizing ability.

The first time I used a splash (Polar Ice) I was amazed that it actually had a moisturizing effect (due to glycerin in the product). So I started to experiment with different splashed.

Now, I typically use a splash after the cold water rinse because I enjoy the tingle the alcohol provides and I like some of the scents. I then follow it up with an unscented balm which provides much more moisturizing than the splash... you'll find that some splashes are more moisturizing than others, but personally I always need a little balm.

If I plan on wearing cologne I skip the splash.

I use both. First I apply an alcoholic aftershave to close the pores (and I love the tingle of the alcohol) - after 2 minutes (cleaning brush, razor, mug...) I apply an ASB to moisturize the face.

Whether an AS/ASB affects your cologne or not depends on the product. My favourite, the Swiss Pitralon, loses its scent after a few minutes whereas the Spanish Floid stays for a few hours.

For my skin type, I prefer the lotions. Check the big Aftershave post that is noted on the main page. I find many of the alcohol aftershaves to be somewhat heavy in their scent and I don't want that to interfere with any cologne I would wear otherwise.

Dennis

Since arriving onboard B&B I've switched from lotions to Aftershave balms. The reason being is that I find Aftershave Balms less complex and lighter texture. Sometimes less is more and it has improved my skin overall appearance/texture significantly. Just recently I stumbled upon "thayer's moisturizing lotion , includes there trademark Witch Hazel, Cucumber, Seame Oil, aloe vera and other goodies (only 7 ingredients) (www.classicshaving.com) and was expecting this to be a heavy lotion, however the total opposite. This lotion feels lighter than Nivea ASB and very much comparable to Mama Bears summer aftershave.

Like many others, I enjoy splashes for the alcohol-induced tingle/burn. I then typically use a light balm (my current favorite being The Gentlemens Refinery ASB) during the drier months. However, I wonder what others use for an aftershave splash (that provides Aqua Velva style burn) that also has decent moisturizing properties (like Musgo Real splash) but that has little to no scent to allow the use of cologne. Or do you typically buy aftershave splashes and coognes (EdT) of the same scent? That would seem to be an expensive technique and one that would clutter up a shaving cabinet in a hurry.

Like many others, I enjoy splashes for the alcohol-induced tingle/burn. I then typically use a light balm (my current favorite being The Gentlemens Refinery ASB) during the drier months. However, I wonder what others use for an aftershave splash (that provides Aqua Velva style burn) that also has decent moisturizing properties (like Musgo Real splash) but that has little to no scent to allow the use of cologne. Or do you typically buy aftershave splashes and coognes (EdT) of the same scent? That would seem to be an expensive technique and one that would clutter up a shaving cabinet in a hurry.

All the splashes I've tried so far have a scent that is too strong and lasts too long to allow for the application of EDT also. This is certainly a YMMV thing bec I've read some folks who say aqua velva is fleeting on them.

If I want to use EDT, I use Thayers witch hazel instead of a splash.

I haven't tried an alcohol splash in a while just cause I'd probably have to put another moisturizer on top of it anyway, which is kind of a waste to me. I stick to Balms because I have dry skin.

I use the Weleda ASB and prior to that the Burt's Bees Bay Rum. I can't use anything with the high alcohol content........at least externally. It just burns me up and drys my face so bad I can't smile.

I love the Proraso After Shave Balm. I may use different razors, blades, soaps, and creams, but the Proraso ASB is a constant. I don't miss the alcohol-based products one bit.

+1 for the A/S splash followed by balm. As of late, I've been doing the Aqua Velva followed by Proraso Pre/Post. I bought the Pre/Post and, while I like it in Pre form, Post shave is where it really shines for me.

I use an aftershave moisturizing lotion. I've never been much into scents after leaving behind my English Leather and British Sterling Days of the 70's.
I use Poraso, nivea, some pricey stuff from Aramis, St Sue's Bay Rum

Alcohol, every time. I used Witch Hazel BP from the chemists for years, but experimented briefly with lotions when my skin got a little bit dry. However, they arent astringent enough for my tastes, so I tried alcohol (despite all the experts advising against it). The splashes I use provide all the moisture I need with a bit of glycerin, the tingle is amazing and I love the smell. Also, if I have shaved badly, it really burns, but a minute later the redness is gone, and my skin is like new.

I personally prefer A/S splashes with alcohol. Balms are much to oily and cause too much discomfort later in the day. It is kind of sad that many manufacturers of quality shaving products are moving away from alcohol based after shaves..:frown:

I personally prefer A/S splashes with alcohol. Balms are much to oily and cause too much discomfort later in the day. It is kind of sad that many manufacturers of quality shaving products are moving away from alcohol based after shaves..:frown:

Have you tried any of the 'Aftershave Milks' such as MamaBear's Summer Aftershave Milk or Saint Charles Aftershave Milk?

Both are very light.

I use both, according to mood. Today I went with plain old Pinaud Clubman. Yesterday I think I used a little Jason Tea Tree gel (GREAT product that I often use to put my face to bed), and the day before, I might have used Neutrogena razor defense.

I'm needing less and less moisturizing, though, as my shave gets more and more comfortable, so sometimes I'll just use a little Witch Hazel, and skip the balm.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I love recycling a thread... :biggrin:

I always used balms and I never had a lotion or splash before my B&B life. Hurt too much, stings, strong scent, my mom didn't want me to use it because of the alcohol, my dad didn't use it, Patrick Bateman says it will dry up the skin, etc...

I was lucky enough to get a kit of Japanese aftershaves from Thunderball
image.php
. Thanks again mate!

I gave those a try. It burnt like hell for the first week and I was doing a 50/50 lotion/water mix.

I stopped putting water in lately and it's not so bad. It's waking me up, it doesn't dry my skin. It's so good that I'm not sure if I will pursue the Balms quest!

Answer to the question, both at the moment but leaning toward lotion!

Top Bottom