What's new

Switching from cartridge razor (Gillette Fusion) to a safety razor (Merkur Futur)

Through a set of questions and answers I hope to help beginners like me & potential buyers to understand how to properly handle the Merkur Futur. At the same time this will serve as a review of the razor.

-Merkur Futur for beginners?
Despite all the comments I read discouraging beginners to start with a Merkur Futur, I switch directly to the Merkur Futur from a Gillette Fusion. Never in my life I had used a safety razor before. Do I regret it, not at all! This is a great razor, feels solid and well balanced, looks and works great. So, I recommend this for beginners, HOWEVER you need to research and study well this razor before using it for the first time. Consider this and advanced tool, if you don't handle it well, expect bleeding.

-Is it too aggressive?
Not really. I have sensitive skin, shave on 3.5 setting and that gives me the closest shave leaving my face like baby skin at touch. I can see why they say it's too aggressive but in reality what it is, is that is very sensitive in adjustment. Setting #1 is quite far leaving hair in my face while 3 is pretty darn close. I cannot see my self EVER using anything more than 5, but maybe that's just my type of skin/facial hair combination.

-Does it slip off your hands?
No. If I have my hands full of shaving cream and wet, then most likely. While it is not the best grip out there, it has never slipped off my hands. I can see how if you are used to something like the Merkur Progress, you can grab this razor the wrong way and have it slip off your hands. IMO, the way to properly hold this razor is by the bump as if you where holding a pencil but raising the thumb finger right above the bump for a softer movement.

-Have you cut yourself when changing blades?
No I have not and I take off the blade after every shave to clean the razor, so I do it often. Again, it comes down to whether you're careful or not. If you get yourself too comfortable and snap the cap off the wrong way, you'll pay the consequences. --But isn't this the same that will happen if you peel and orange with a sharp knife the wrong way or to a Sushi master mishandling his knife?

The best way to take the cap off is to push up one end (you'll notice which one is the proper end) and the cap will come off. If you want to be extra-careful, put a towel on top of your thumb before pushing up the cap.

I agree, however, that this can be improved, and will not be surprised if they come up with a second version of the Futur with a better system for changing the blade (and I'm not talking Vision). At the same time this system allows to change the blade pretty fast in comparison to the system of the Progress.

-How is the adjustment mechanism? I hear you can get cut doing that as well
The adjustment switching mechanism is solid. Some people will try to adjust the razor from the head with the hands wet and that's wrong, it's just looking for trouble. Ensure your hands and the razor are dry, grab the top part of the "neck" of the razor and switch the settings. You can use a towel for better grip.

-The Futur vs the Progress, Is the Merkur Futur the right razor for me?
The Futur is an excellent razor and so the Progress. So how to know if this one is the right one for you. In my opinion, the major point here is aesthetics. If you don't care for your razor to have a classic look then you might be better off with the Progress as it is an excellent razor and easier to handle. If you do care, then go with the Futur. Another point that may be consider is that the Futur can be more aggressive, so if you're looking for that maybe the Futur, but of all places I've read comments and reviews 3-4 seems to be the number that works for everyone, so both razors should be as aggressive as you need.

Note: I don't consider myself at all an expert on the subject, I'm just a beginner that wanted to share his experience with the Merkur Futur & Safety Razor in general.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting good feedback on your experience with it. Those questions run through a lot of minds when making the purchasing decision.

I got a chrome Futur this week and I am loving it.
The finish on it is very nice. You have to polish it up after every shave!
I was expecting it to be a very technical shave, but pretty much got into it straight away.
Was using a Merkur 34C before and I actually find the Futur a bit more forgiving, so I would also recomend to beginners.

I also have a Futur and it is a fantastic shaver. I have very sensitive skin and I use it on setting 3.5 and get a perfect shave. I like Feather, Voskhod or Persona Blue blades in it. I've also never had any problems with cutting myself changing the blade nor any problems with it slipping out of my hand. Proper grip with the thumb in the 'groove' is the key. You have to love and respect German engineering!

Top Bottom