What's new

Masking the smell of witch hazel

I've tried adding a bunch of different essential oils to standard witch hazel in order to cover the smell, but I'm not having any luck. Obviously, Thayer's smells wonderfully, but it's a totally differnt beast than regular witch hazel. Have any of you had luck with this, or will the scent of WH always be there regardless of added scents?

I've added scents to witch hazel. Most recently I used Nino Cerruti 1881. I don't know that it masked the smell of the witch hazel completely, but it helped.

I had pretty good luck with Lavender essential oil. Although I wonder with how much I put in will the product go rancid sooner than not?

None the less the smell is much better just remember to shake the bottle before each use cause the oil tends to separate.

There was another thread on using peppermint it supposedly works well but I can't stand mint.

I bought the Thayers Medicated Superhazel with Aloe Vera Formula Astringent
and the Laveder...both work well but the Superhazel is great!

I just grin through the ugly smell of the WH and once it's dry the smell's pretty much dissapated. Then I put on a splash or balm and that pretty much squelches any remaining WH scent.

I like to mix the WH in a 60/40 or 70/30 mix of Dollar Store Old Spice, Barbasol and Real Aqua Velva to get rid of the smell of Dollar Store WH while still getting the soothing benefits of WH. It's cheap, smells great and is refreshing as well as soothing. Just mix 60 or 70% of the knock off AS's with 30 to 40% WH. Works for me, and has for many years.....Give it a try!

Tutti Frutti, Cheers:thumbup::thumbup:

I don't mind the smell of witch hazel that much but I do like to make my own splashes with scents. Try mixing some rose water with the witch hazel. I also add some aloe vera and glycerin.

I've tried adding a bunch of different essential oils to standard witch hazel in order to cover the smell, but I'm not having any luck. Obviously, Thayer's smells wonderfully, but it's a totally differnt beast than regular witch hazel. Have any of you had luck with this, or will the scent of WH always be there regardless of added scents?

In time, you will come to love the scent as-is

I mixed my pint bottle of drug store WH with two tbls of glycerine and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil. I think that it masked the WH smell but I couldn't tell cause the peppermint made my face shout WOW. Man, what a way to wake up after a shave.

To mask or not, YMMV but the benefits of the product are worth the effort to push through the smell.

You might want to try a different brand of WH if you don't like the smell. Some brands are pretty harsh in that dept., while others are barely noticeable. Dickinsons, imho is quite harsh/smelly while Thayer's is very pleasant (esp. the lemon), but it also costs more.

I know this may sound dumb but here is what I do....it is free and works very well. I simply breath through my mouth for a bit until it dries. :) You get the great benifit of witch hazel and no smell. I am using the $1.50 bottle from Dollar General and it stinks.

I added about a third of an ounce of fragrance oil to a sixteen ounce container of Rite-aid witch hazel. Can't smell the witch hazel and the fragrance isn't overpowering on my face.

Call me crazy but I think Dickinson's smells the worst of the bunch. I figure it smells like cheap tequila. So, to combat that I mix in a teaspoon of Iso-Blue with each bottle I buy (Iso-Blue is menthol oil, eucalyptus oil, and 50% rubbing alcohol...they sell it at grocery stores). For some reason this single teaspoon crushes the tequila smell and leaves a light menthol fragrance. Give it a try.:thumbup:

I just grin through the ugly smell of the WH and once it's dry the smell's pretty much dissapated. Then I put on a splash or balm and that pretty much squelches any remaining WH scent.

This. The smell honestly doesn't bother me at all after a couple weeks using it. Yes, WH is somewhat unpleasant, but there are worse things to smell in this world:thumbup1:

Personally, I think WH smells great. The reason the Dickinson's smells stronger is because the store brands are so watered down you could just as well be using water. If the WH smell bothers you get thayers. The problem with mixing things into WH is that most stuff doesn't mix well with it and instead of having an "unpleasant" smelling mix you have a very uninviting looking one.

Top Bottom