What's new

I wonder what people on eBay think...

...when they put a shaving item on and them it sells for so much. You have to wonder what the men and women, who think they are just eBaying some old soap, think when they look and see that their Yardley sold for $90.

Have any of you ever wondered that?

Don't know. I've also wondered if any of them later find out that they've sold something valuable for a small fraction of its worth. I think that comes up frequently when they have half a dozen razors, and just sell them as a lot without researching them.

There are a lot of categories of vintage items, and not everybody has the patience to investigate what the going rates for them are. I think many eBay sellers are just satisfied to make a small profit on that box of stuff they found in the attic, and if somebody wants to pay top dollar for them, all the better.

...when they put a shaving item on and them it sells for so much. You have to wonder what the men and women, who think they are just eBaying some old soap, think when they look and see that their Yardley sold for $90.

Have any of you ever wondered that?
I bet that guy got a few requests to end the auction early.

I have won a few auctions where I'm sure the seller thought they were taking me to the cleaners. They were not. :001_rolle

I've thought of that too. Then I see the ebay ads that are outrageously priced because they found mixed information on the interweb.

For a chuckle, do a search on ebay for "flare tip" and check out the one with BIN $50. Be sure to read the description and questions.

It's all relative.

It has always made me shake my head how when a member "scores" some rare, big bucks item for a song, we all line up to congratulate the lucky buyer, but just let some joker on Ebay post a garden variety Super Speed with a BIN price of a C-note and we all get out our tar and feathers.

I think if I scored some Yardley at an antique shop for a few bucks, then post it on BST for market value, I'm pretty sure nobody would dare ask what I paid for it. If, on the other hand, as a new guy I got hosed buying an average condition Red Tip from a flea market for, say fifty bones, and tried to break even on it here I'd get some sharp questions.

The whole idea of value when it comes to our fodder is pretty funny. Vintage Old Spice is a nice soap, and it commands a premium nowadays. I enjoy the stuff, but is it really worth the going rate compared to a nice, modern tallow soap like Tabac?

I have a NOS OS mug with box from the late 30's. It's like it came off a store shelf this morning. I got it for what many would consider a very reasonable price...it's pretty to look at, but the thought of busting it out and using it makes me cringe. To me, as an actual shaving mug and soap, it has zero value. As a talisman in my abode to appease the Wet Shaving Gods it has value. As an item I might sell to another crazy wet shaver, it has value. When I kick the bucket, I'm fairly sure that my sons will be more interested in who gets Grandpa's garden variety OS mug (well, it is made in Belgium) than who gets the boxed one that dad got a deal on.

Anyway, to the OP's question, I bet the common reaction from the truly clueless seller is "Wow! That's nice!" soon followed by "waitaminit, did I just get ripped off?"

I dunno. Have you actually thought what it takes to make a living off of auctions? Selling vintage goods? I bet "Wow, did I make a some good bucks off of that" is 9 out of 10. Well that's a guess, what if it's 50-50? Just breaking even.

Think about it. Chasing estate sales. Garage sales.

I know there must be some highly successful ebayers, but all of them?

I dunno. I over pay on some items, I know. Usually because it's shiny and I want it. Better tossing it to an some schmo running vintage goods then to let the damn bankers siphon it off - again.

(no disrespect meant to any damn bankers here on the board. All brothers here!)

:001_smile

-jim

I've thought of that too. Then I see the ebay ads that are outrageously priced because they found mixed information on the interweb.

For a chuckle, do a search on ebay for "flare tip" and check out the one with BIN $50. Be sure to read the description and questions.

I assume you are referring to the razor with this Q&A exchange?:

Q: That appears to be a regular blue tip super speed. A rocket would have pointed end caps and a gap above the TTO knob. Google "Mr Razor" for more info. Take care. Feb-15-10

A: i have a few razors and wanted to know a bit more about them while i listed them. i spent 3 hours last night and what i have listed is what i found. i also found out that there's literally hundreds of different interpretations and scenarios of what is and what could be. my conclusion is i could call it a "blue lightning ice fire gillette super duper sport razor" and i could be right. untill mr. gillette gives me a call himself and tells me what i have then sky's the limit out there for what you can call each and every one of them. thanks anyways.

:blink:Yeah, let me patronize THAT guy!

I assume you are referring to the razor with this Q&A exchange?:

Q: That appears to be a regular blue tip super speed. A rocket would have pointed end caps and a gap above the TTO knob. Google "Mr Razor" for more info. Take care. Feb-15-10

A: i have a few razors and wanted to know a bit more about them while i listed them. i spent 3 hours last night and what i have listed is what i found. i also found out that there's literally hundreds of different interpretations and scenarios of what is and what could be. my conclusion is i could call it a "blue lightning ice fire gillette super duper sport razor" and i could be right. untill mr. gillette gives me a call himself and tells me what i have then sky's the limit out there for what you can call each and every one of them. thanks anyways.

:blink:Yeah, let me patronize THAT guy!

Yeah, and then you have these guys, something else, isn't it? Oddly posting that message for all to acknowledge his wisdom.

BTW,

WTB a blue lightning ice fire gillette super duper sport razor. Know anybody that has one?

:w00t:

-jim

Top Bottom