What's new

Scrubbing Bubbles on an Aristocrat?

My Aristocrat just arrived a few minutes ago!! :001_cool:

Can't wait to clean it up and try it out. I have some Marvicide and hot water waiting. I've used Scrubbing Bubbles on Chrome razors, but is it safe on gold razors?

Thanks

Scrubbing Bubbles will not harm gold plated razors.

Boiling water however will remove the protective lacquer on a gold razor.

Just soak the razor in less than boiling water (170°-180°) and Dawn diswashing liquid for 30 minutes and then scrub with a toothbrush. This will loosen and remove most of the big chunks and grime.

Then use the Scrubbing Bubbles.

Here I would recommend the light use of toothpaste and a toothbrush to bring a shine to the razor.

Then use the Barbicide as directed.

Scrubbing Bubbles will not harm gold plated razors.

Boiling water however will remove the protective lacquer on a gold razor.

Just soak the razor in less than boiling water (170°-180°) and Dawn diswashing liquid for 30 minutes and then scrub with a toothbrush. This will loosen and remove most of the big chunks and grime.

Then use the Scrubbing Bubbles.

Here I would recommend the light use of toothpaste and a toothbrush to bring a shine to the razor.

Then use the Barbicide as directed.

I guess I'm going to stop using boiling water :eek:

Thanks for the tip about the toothpaste.

I don't use a toothbrush on the caps of my razors. I find they can leave little scratch marks. The tooth paste is fine thought. But it's still a mild abrasive so go easy, especially on gold.

Len

I don't use a toothbrush on the caps of my razors. I find they can leave little scratch marks. The tooth paste is fine thought. But it's still a mild abrasive so go easy, especially on gold.

Len

Use a toothbrush that's rated "soft".

If a toothbrush will scratch the head of a razor, imagine what it's doing to your teeth!!:ohmy::ohmy:

I cleaned my Aristocrat in the Pressure Cooker. The reason for this was because the Lacquer finish that was on the razor had disintegrated or melted into the handle. At first I thought it was just dirty or tarnish but upon further inspection, I determined that the lacquer finish had become part of the handle. The heat of the pressure cooker, with cascade electric dish-washing powder, removed that brown lacquer coating, and all filth, from the razor. I was amazed at how sparkling clean it came out. The razor has remained that way....Brilliant.

So if you try to clean your Aristocrat and it's not coming clean, it could be the lacquer coating has fused to the razor causing the tarnish and discoloration.

Tutti Frutti, Cheers.:thumbup1:

If you're really worried about the lacquer coat on your Aristocrat and the razor has "Orange, Brown" stain on it already. Well, that is the lacquer coat that has be worn and discolored. The only way you're going to protect your Aristocrat....IMO....is to get rid of the old lacquer coat. That old lacquer finish is no longer protecting your razor and is leading you into a sense of false security. If the lacquer is finished..... it needs to come off since it is no longer protecting your razor. I am sure that others have used various chemicals and methods to get the old lacquer coat off and then clean, polish and apply a new coat of lacquer to the gold razor.

The lacquer coat on all the Aristocrats I picked was worn and finished and gave the appearance that it was badly stained and tarnished or beyond hope. Once the old lacquer finishes came off....low and behold a beautiful Aristocrat razors. I only use one for my rotation and the others might get polished up and re-lacquer some day. But the difference is day and night once you get the old coating off.

I am sure others can help you....if you want to use some kind of Chemical to remove the coating.

All I know is very hot steam lifted all of the old lacquer right off the Aristocrat razors I have with not damage or side effects. The problem with chemicals is you have to know what to apply and how much is enough.
Apply too little...it will not be clean or apply too much and you might have problems. Don't forget...You need to get ALL the old lacquer off before you head to Home Depot to get lacquer for metal surfaces to re-apply if the lacquer is no longer protecting the razor.

Just remember....if it does not clean up nice....it is most likely the worn lacquer finish that was put on 50 years ago.

Tutti Frutti, Cheers:001_smile:001_smile

Once the Aristocrat has been cleaned of the old, stained orange brown lacquer; you can always apply a new coat over the gold plating.

Cheers

Use a toothbrush that's rated "soft".

If a toothbrush will scratch the head of a razor, imagine what it's doing to your teeth!!:ohmy::ohmy:

I thought we were talking about the lacquer coated gold plated Aristocrat. The lacquer coating scratches pretty easily. If you're talking about a nickel plated razor then you're right.

Len

Top Bottom