What's new

Any hockey fans out there?

Started playing at 51 .....what a game ! I'm 62 and wish I started at 5 .... These kids today got it made ! Talk about a skilled game ! Anyway ' Don't Blink'

Agreed! I love to play hockey. Love the sound of the blades on the ice, the wind in my face, the sound of the puck off the boards, the crunching of bones...good times, my friend, good times.

I played during winters as a kid, then year round throughout my teens, but then in my early twenties, I had no more time or $ to play. It's been 15 years since I've played an organized game of hockey, and lately for some reason I've really started noticing just how much I miss it.

The good news is, my son just turned three and my daughters just turned two...so I'll be able to get them all out on the ice next winter! If I can get my lovely wife to play and I strap my old goalie pads on the dog we'll have a whole team for pond hockey!!

I have been going to see the Charlotte Checkers play since 1970, when we moved here. Next year they are moving up to the AHL. Right now they are in the ECHL.
I do go see the Canes in Raleigh when I can, but that's only one or two times a year.
My B-I-L is from Natrona Heights, PA. What part are you from? I have visited his parents a coulpe of times, and they took us to see the Penguins play. What an great arena they have there.
I do love me some Hockey!

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Love the game. I was raised in Montreal where we played on the street, and on outdoor rinks, and in the gym, and and and.

The extension of the hockey season to the point that no game until the playoffs actually matters . . . . well kinda sorta caused me not to care too much until the playoffs.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Love the game. I was raised in Montreal where we played on the street, and on outdoor rinks, and in the gym, and and and.

The extension of the hockey season to the point that no game until the playoffs actually matters . . . . well kinda sorta caused me not to care too much until the playoffs.

Amen, that

I'm there with you on that Alacrity.

Anyone here feel like there are too many teams and a diluted talent pool? I've been thinking about what effect contraction would have on the league. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

First team to go should be Philly.:biggrin1:

Heh...I'll bet you no teams ranked 6-8 in both conferences right now are thinking that

Have you seen how tight the races are in both conferences? Some teams make impressive runs in the latter half of the season to actually get into the playoffs; i.e., penguins last year, and the red wings this year (yeah, I'm assuming they'll make the playoffs, and truthfully feel sorry for anyone who plays them in the first round)

Last edited:
Anyone here feel like there are too many teams and a diluted talent pool?

First team to go should be Philly.:biggrin1:

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second part, and throw in Montreal while we're at it :thumbup1:

I wouldn't say the talent is diluted. Talent is also relative; you can talk about offensive talent, defensive talent, goaltending talent, coaching talent; etc. Not to split hairs, but all teams in the NHL are talented to a degree. The way I see it, teams that make the playoffs find a way to win consistently based on what they have. For example, Phoenix plays more of a defensive style of hockey and obviously doesn't have the individual scorers that Washington has, yet Phoenix is vying for the 1st spot in the Western Conference. So in that sense, I wouldn't say that talent is diluted, especially if you only look at offensive talent.

I actually like the fact that in most years, any team ranked 1-8 in either conference has a chance to win. The Oilers went to the Stanley Cup finals a few years ago after coming in 8th in the West.

I started playing when I was 10. Got out of it about 6 years ago, and I miss it greatly. Life-long Red Wings fan, but I also support the Columbus Blue Jackets since I live there. Both of them are kinda stinkin' up the place this year :glare:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No love for the 'yotes in AZ? They're making a bid for first in the west as we speak

Whoda thunk it last August ... Phoenix aiming at first overall and Dee-troit barely limping into the playoffs ... :ohmy:

Whoda thunk it last August ... Phoenix aiming at first overall and Dee-troit barely limping into the playoffs ... :ohmy:

+1
It's a pretty unlikely roster. I'm a big fan of some of the grizzled vets on the 'Yotes, but still, I'd never have guessed it.

Wolski was a very nice pickup for them, IMO.

And now for something a bit on the lighter side.

Feather vs. Dorco ST300:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGo3ANHxilI&NR=1

Dorco ST300 vs. Dorco ST300:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cng435qQp4

(no offense to Dorcos)

Limping? Hardly, struggled out of the gate is more like it. A couple of injuries early on to key players really hurt the Wings, but with Franzen back in the line-up and pretty much everyone else healthy, things are looking good I think.

Top Bottom