What's new

What do you think of this design?

i've been thinking about shaving stands recently, and decided it'll be a DIY project. i put this together and wanted to get some opinions.

proxy.php

(obviously this isn't to scale.)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
i've been thinking about shaving stands recently, and decided it'll be a DIY project. i put this together and wanted to get some opinions.

(obviously this isn't to scale.)

Looks like a fun and useful DIY project.
Just one point for my personal observation - maybe consider the possibility of moving the hole for the razor closer to the edge and "U" cutting the hole so it can be slipped in and out with a single grip.
A hole for the razor is fine, but it requires you to first push up from the bottom, then grab the razor under the head to pull it out the rest of the way.
Simply grabbing the razor from the top to pull it out of the hole puts fingers in close proximity to razor blade.

Just my opinion. Good Luck.

proxy.php

Looks like a handy design the only problem I see might be that razor hole, that means you would have to reach it to push it out or grab it by the razor. This edited version looks safer to me.
Edit - Lol, that's hilarious you posted the exact same thing as me haha.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
[Looks like a handy design the only problem I see might be that razor hole, that means you would have to reach it to push it out or grab it by the razor. This edited version looks safer to me.
Edit - Lol, that's hilarious you posted the exact same thing as me haha.

Brilliant minds think alike!! :lol:

ok, thanks, good idea. though we do scrape the blades against our faces, and grab the head to change blades. i was thinking of grabbing it by the side of the head
i'm also going to round off the slot for the brush, just to get a better fit and aesthetic effect.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
ok, thanks, good idea. though we do scrape the blades against our faces, and grab the head to change blades. i was thinking of grabbing it by the side of the head
i'm also going to round off the slot for the brush, just to get a better fit and aesthetic effect.

Just did a Google Search and came up with the following results;

Results 1,660 from badgerandblade.com for "cut my thumb"

:lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I got here about 5 minutes after the two other guys suggested changing the hole to a slot so did not comment . . . it is what immediately came to mind as well. I'm the only person I know that has limited themselves to one DE . . . so I was thinking maybe three razor slots . . . store the blades vertically.

What wood will you use?

Phil's and Disposition's great comments about the razor slot made me think that you might also want to "V" the shape of the slot for the brush, with it a little wider at the open end and getting smaller towards the back (closed) end. That way, it will hold just about any size brush.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil's and Disposition's great comments about the razor slot made me think that you might also want to "V" the shape of the slot for the brush, with it a little wider at the open end and getting smaller towards the back (closed) end. That way, it will hold just about any size brush.

That's a great Idea Randy. That way it isn't a brush holder for a specific brush, but for any brush you care to put in it.

A very nice design with some well-thought suggestions for improvement.

Space for only one razor would be my drawback, since I (like many) rotate through several.

Perhaps overhang the top so you could cut three slots on each side - giving additional storage for six razors. They could even be holes, since most don't have blades in their off-duty razors.

i've just done a crude mock-up in cardboard, just to get the dimensions right, and make sure the design actually works. i'll do another with a guide for a cleaner outline, and post the measurements on my drawings.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

the design is meant to assemble without glue, nails, or any kind of fastener. kind of like those foam "model kits" sometimes found in goodie bags, except without the flimsy part.

proxy.php

i had originally intended for the bottom to be flat, but this way will keep water from being trapped under the stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom