What's new

Acquisitions 22nd March - 28th March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks incredible. If you don't want to take the time, Tiffany stores will clean any of their products for a very reasonable fee.

Wow! That does look stunning. What is a sniper bid though? How do you do this?

Lots of options, some applications and some are websites. They put in a last minute bid for an item so you don't have to sit at your computer and wait. It also means you don't have to put in a bid early and hope that no one inches their way up to your max bid.

My favorite sniping program is www.jbidwatcher.com it works really well and it's free.

Wow! That does look stunning. What is a sniper bid though? How do you do this?

You use a bidding program that lodges a bid for you automatically for any amount you choose at a predetermined time. I've set mine to bid with 4 seconds to go. That's enough time for my bid to be registered but if it's the highest bid, no one else has enough time to bid over me and win the auction.
As the majority of auctions I want to bid on are in the US, they are set to finish on US time which means I'm in bed asleep when they are finishing.

you have good eyes ! i take a old tooth brush with a little bit of water to carefully brush inside the case & a cloth with a mix of water & dish soap for the outside .when the leather case was half dry i rub it whith black shoe shine when it was full dry i polish it with a polishing clothe,i let the cardboard box dry . i sometimes do the same treatment to my straight razor boxes when it's needed .

I didn't even think about a steel blade, being so used to stainless or some coating. The rust is minimal on most of the blades but they are blued. I could easily clean and oil them and most would be like new. Although cleaning and oiling rusty razor blades seems destined for a trip to the Doc for a tetanus shot.

-jim

you have good eyes ! i take a old tooth brush with a little bit of water to carefully brush inside the case & a cloth with a mix of water & dish soap for the outside .when the leather case was half dry i rub it whith black shoe shine when it was full dry i polish it with a polishing clothe,i let the cardboard box dry . i sometimes do the same treatment to my straight razor boxes when it's needed .

Shoe shine wax!

of course. I would have thought about that 40 or so years ago when I helped my Dad shine his shoes...

-jim

From my wife's ramblings it's the Wade name that caused the price to go where it did? She pays that sort of price for Wade figurines that can in no way be used for shaving?!

Blades were relatively more expensive back then, too.

In 1952 Gillette blue blades sold for $.98 for a pack of 20.

Median family income was $3,900 that year.

- Chris

I seem to be so desperate to find razor related stuff in the wild, that I will apparently buy anything. What odd stuff this is:

Not sure about the other stuff but the thing in the back appears to be a computer mouse. Wireless. Probably Logitech. Looks to be in excellent shape so you could probably get a good price for it on BST.

Not sure about the other stuff but the thing in the back appears to be a computer mouse. Wireless. Probably Logitech. Looks to be in excellent shape so you could probably get a good price for it on BST.

Oh, that old vintage thing? I'm using the latest telepathy implant these days. Hardly ever goes wwwwwwrrrrrroooooooooogggggggg. -blip-

I picked up this old Griffon ST8 on e-prey. The case is not original to the razor.

The blade is lightly etched carbo magnetic in script (nothing underneath) and the trademark on the back of the tang reads only Griffon Razor Works. There is no US or Germany under this. I looked on the web and most of the same #60 razors listed or sold either said Germany or US on them. The front has the number 60 and Griffon in script and XX. Can anyone tell me about how old it is and what this may indicate as to where it may have been made?

By the way, it is a very good shaver. I sterilized the razor, honed it on an old barbers hone, stropped it up and had a very nice shave this morning:001_smile

E bay item #- 130377655056

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Last edited:
Good deal on that brush - you could leave it in the Williams overnight or swish it in some Borax, too. Good scores-

Let it sit in Williams overnight...now it just brings back memories of the farm dog when I was a kid! Good enough, used it this morning. Looks floppy but feels solid on the face and eats soap pucks! dried quickly back to form only lost two hairs.

Verdict: Good score!

Great Score! Congratulations!

And to think you got it all for just $23 ... most of us would have paid more than that for just one of those items!

It restores my faith to know that there are still some good bargains out there.

Went antiquing in round top Texas today and Mr. Scruffy missed a few things. $50 and all of this got to come home with me.
Thats a Gem, a flare tip, a superspeed in case with unopened blue blade pack, two ever ready brushes, a pilgrim brush, a straight that is in good shape and a playtex hair cutter oh and a pack of ten gillette blades that someone gave me when i was looking at shaving stuff
proxy.php

The super speed case is in good condition with some scratches and the blade pack plastic is pretty fragile. The razor doesn't have a single scratch on it i and not a spot of soap scum leading me to believe it is unused but unfortunately it has some tarnish and I believe once cleaned will have some pitting and maybe a little plating loss on one silo door.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The playtex hair cutter has a pack of blades in it as well and appears to be unused.
proxy.php

The brushes look cool one has the everready logo and writing still clearly visible on the bottom
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are the three safety razors I brought home

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom