What's new

Who is Col. Ichabod Conk?

I'm relatively new to shaving with a safety razor and Col. Conk's products are showing up quite frequently.

Personally, I own a razor and brush stand holder of this brand(which despite the brushes I own never fitting it above the bristles is quite nice looking and matches my Merkur 23c).

But I was curious, who is/was Col. Ichabod Conk?

There is a picture of the man on the shaving soaps so I assume he was a real man who maybe started a line of shaving products personally.

And maybe a google search would easily answer this question but i figured i have a badger and blade account and i'm interested in learning(maybe others are too), does any members of this site know who was the man and/or why does he have shaving products named after him.

Thanks in advance.

B&B Wiki at your service:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Col._Ichabod_Conk

And, from coolshaving.com:

"There REALLY was a Colonel Ichabod Conk. In 1866, soon after the Civil War made him a pauper, Colonel Ichabod Conk traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico. After living there a short time, Col. Conk began to date a woman who owned several barber and hair cutting salons for both men and women. She shaved men's faces daily, and after Col. Conk married her, he became proficient in the barbering profession, helping his wife with her customers, and keeping her books. Suddenly, Col. Conk had a startlingly magnificent idea -- why couldn't he package the products they were using every day, and sell them across the nation?

Colonel Ichabod Conk Shaving Products was born. Col. Conk became a wealthy man for that time and age, and continued the business until his death in 1898. At that time, his business simply ceased to exist. The current ownership discovered his legacy, and decided to continue the legend, in today's marketplace. Conk - a legend of yesteryear, a great reality today. Unique quality, unique product -- created to restore joy to shaving."

Thanks.

Great info on the current company from the wiki.

"The original company ceased business after Conk's death in 1898. The current company does not manufacture its own products, and merely sells rebranded products."

Although that quote makes me care less about the current products since it seems to say they sell others peoples products under their brand.

And also it tells me Col Ichabod was just some guy who married into a family that owned some barber shops and his wife named some stuff after him. And from that the name just stuck around so is now used to sell other peoples products marketed under his name(however those products could probably be obtained for the same quality under different names if someone looked).

So, Col. Ichabod Crane is no one really in summation? He's just a guy that some company exploits his name despite he himself having no great connection to shaving history at all.

very disappointing to hear.

So, Col. Ichabod Crane is no one really in summation? He's just a guy that some company exploits his name despite he himself having no great connection to shaving history at all.

Gillette is using the name of arguably the most important person in shaving history and look at what that got us.

Thanks.

"The original company ceased business after Conk's death in 1898. The current company does not manufacture its own products, and merely sells rebranded products."

Although that quote makes me care less about the current products since it seems to say they sell others peoples products under their brand.

And also it tells me Col Ichabod was just some guy who married into a family that owned some barber shops and his wife named some stuff after him. And from that the name just stuck around so is now used to sell other peoples products marketed under his name(however those products could probably be obtained for the same quality under different names if someone looked).

So how is that different form a million and one other products where they have bought a defunct name and sell products hoping you will respond to the history of that name. That's very common in the watch business.

By the way the Conk Co is located about 20 miles south of Albuquerque in a small town called Los Lunas. It's run from someone's house.

"The current company does not manufacture its own products, and merely sells rebranded products."

Does anyone know what products these may be?

Except for all the stuff about barbering, marriage and success, it's like John Wayne's character in "The Searchers" was based on Col. Conk!

My guess was always somebody like VDH; the pucks are identical in shape and packaging - which wouldn't mean much, save for the fact that you don't see any other soaps packaged like VDH and Conk.

So the legend isn't exactly inspiring... they still make some good, cheap stuff.

IIRC, a representative of Van Der Hagen has said that they do indeed make the soap for Col Conk. It would seem that Ichabod Conk himself basically became a travelling salesman selling shaving goods. I'm not sure if Colonel Conk's company ever manufactured their own products.

If anyone is interested, here is the company's official website.

I don't think the current company is exploiting the Conk name since the original company ceased business in 1898. I imagine very few, if any, people remembered the Conk name when the current company started in 1980.

-Clarke

He was a a great man. Dead since 1898 and look at his name and legacy. Today a business prospers doing what he dreamed of doing, and in his name! long live Colonel Conk!

G

geoleo53

Interesting that you switched the names Conk to Crane, the character from "Legends of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving.

Thanks.

col. conk is most famous for losing a fist fight in the local town square against col. sanders..... apparently the fight resulted from the 2 men hurling insults at each other... the first blow was thrown when conk called sanders a "chicken plucker"...

col. conk is most famous for losing a fist fight in the local town square against col. sanders..... apparently the fight resulted from the 2 men hurling insults at each other... the first blow was thrown when conk called sanders a "chicken plucker"...

I always thought that Col. Conk fought Col. Sanders at the battle of Dirty Bird.
I heard Sanders won.

Btw, one of the first soaps I used was Conk. Keep looking, there are better soaps out there.

Top Bottom