What's new

Who is Col. Ichabod Conk?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually while I did in fact watch Captain Kangaroo on TV, I am not entirely certain that he was a real captain, or that his name was even Kangaroo. I believe it may have been a stage name. Captain Crunch, OTOH, was AFAIK just a fictitious cartoon character. No more real than Smedly or the Crunchberry Beast. The Captain of Captain and Tennille fame was not very captainly and I doubt he ever held a Master's License, or held any rank of Captain in the military or any police force. Three out of three, bogus captains in varying degrees of bogusity.

I always had my doubts about Col. Ichabod Conk, though I held my peace until now. The name just doesn't have the ring of sincerity to it. Now we won't be casting aspersions at Col. Harlan Sanders, oh no. Yes, I know he was only a mule handler in the Army, but he was granted a commission as a Kentucky Colonel, and such things are taken quite seriously in Kentucky. Plus, KFC is almost as good as Popeye's. But most of these captains and colonels and stuff are imposters.

Well, I am glad we still have good old Captain America to defend all that's decent and the American way.

I can live with that.

I think Col. Ichabod Conk is a fictional character. I found this using ancestry.com:

Not that this changes anything about the quality of the soap. Just an interesting tid bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------
(Van Nuys News -- G.S. 648)
Fictitious Business Name Statement

The following persons are doing business as COLONEL ICHABOD CONK PRODUCTS at 11419 Moorpark St., North Hollywood, Calif. 91602.

All this shows is that the name "Colonel Ichabod Conk Products" is a fictitious name, not that the name Ichabod Conk was fictitious.

My goodness! Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :wink2: He wasn't 'just' some guy who married into a family that owned barber shops ... he was an entrepreneur broken by the war, who got a business idea to provide quality products people needed and enjoyed using and made his fortune a second time. Many people make great products but are not great at marketing, there is no shame in separating the manufacturing of a product from its distribution, it is a time-honored business function, and often the only way people who make quality products ever capitalize on it.

Right. The McDonalds brothers were good at making burgers in their small roadside joint in San Bernadino. It took literally a travelling salesman, Ray Kroc, to discover it.

Actually while I did in fact watch Captain Kangaroo on TV, I am not entirely certain that he was a real captain, or that his name was even Kangaroo. I believe it may have been a stage name. Captain Crunch, OTOH, was AFAIK just a fictitious cartoon character. No more real than Smedly or the Crunchberry Beast. The Captain of Captain and Tennille fame was not very captainly and I doubt he ever held a Master's License, or held any rank of Captain in the military or any police force. Three out of three, bogus captains in varying degrees of bogusity.

I always had my doubts about Col. Ichabod Conk, though I held my peace until now. The name just doesn't have the ring of sincerity to it. Now we won't be casting aspersions at Col. Harlan Sanders, oh no. Yes, I know he was only a mule handler in the Army, but he was granted a commission as a Kentucky Colonel, and such things are taken quite seriously in Kentucky. Plus, KFC is almost as good as Popeye's. But most of these captains and colonels and stuff are imposters.
Popeye's is better than KFC? Seriously, when Katrina hit how long were you held under water?:sad::sad::sad: ............JR

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I grew up in W.Va just across the Ky line, but have lived in SE Louisiana for over thirty years, and Popeyes is WAY better than KFC!

I started out with Col. Conk soap and thought it was okay... after trying Proraso I was completely blown away and will never touch my Col. Conk soaps again. I would PIF the two pucks that I have left but I doubt that anybody here would want them.

My brush is Col. Conk as well, but it's just a re-branded Vulfix. It's a great beginner brush but my RAD has already set in after less than a month and I have my eye on a Wee Scot.

As someone else mentioned, they also sell Dovo Best Quality razors with the Col. Conk name stamped on them.

Seems like they pretty much just offer re-branded entry level gear for beginners and people that don't know any better. I certainly wouldn't know any better if I hadn't found this forum.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
KFC is for yankees and little old ladies with delicate constitutions. Popeyes Extra Spicy is da bomb! Don't forget the Dirty Rice and the biscuits. And a pickled jalapeno for desert.

KFC is for yankees and little old ladies with delicate constitutions. Popeyes Extra Spicy is da bomb! Don't forget the Dirty Rice and the biscuits. And a pickled jalapeno for desert.

+1 for Popeyes.

I miss living in Colorado. There was nothing better than a trip to the dispensary and then a stop at Popeyes on the way home.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Admitted Yankee here just chiming in that in my own personal opinion, Popeyes is great if you plan on spending a large portion of your day in a room with tiles and porcelain fixtures.
KFC is marginally better but there are plenty of other choices out there.

+1 for Popeyes.

I miss living in Colorado. There was nothing better than a trip to Popeyes and then a stop at the dispensary on the way home.

There, I fixed that for you! :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
+1

B&B Wiki at your service:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Col._Ichabod_Conk

And, from coolshaving.com:

"There REALLY was a Colonel Ichabod Conk. In 1866, soon after the Civil War made him a pauper, Colonel Ichabod Conk traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico. After living there a short time, Col. Conk began to date a woman who owned several barber and hair cutting salons for both men and women. She shaved men's faces daily, and after Col. Conk married her, he became proficient in the barbering profession, helping his wife with her customers, and keeping her books. Suddenly, Col. Conk had a startlingly magnificent idea -- why couldn't he package the products they were using every day, and sell them across the nation?

Colonel Ichabod Conk Shaving Products was born. Col. Conk became a wealthy man for that time and age, and continued the business until his death in 1898. At that time, his business simply ceased to exist. The current ownership discovered his legacy, and decided to continue the legend, in today's marketplace. Conk - a legend of yesteryear, a great reality today. Unique quality, unique product -- created to restore joy to shaving."

col. conk was a known intemperate drunk and beater of women... also owner of several houses of ill repute he was reported to have shaved the heads of any of the fancy women who misbehaved...

unfortunately he used his crappy soap on them and they got razor bumps and bad shaves.... :letterk1:

He was a a great man. Dead since 1898 and look at his name and legacy. Today a business prospers doing what he dreamed of doing, and in his name! long live Colonel Conk!

Fair enough, but it sounds like Mrs. Conk deserves a bit more credit than the name of the firm, then or now, suggests.

Top Bottom