What's new

Who is Col. Ichabod Conk?

This was the first soap I used. I gave it away in a PIF. I might have to buy some more and give it a try now that I know how to make good lather with glycerin soaps

So, Col. Ichabod Crane is no one really in summation? He's just a guy that some company exploits his name despite he himself having no great connection to shaving history at all.

very disappointing to hear.

AND they are not using or even trying to copy the original formula for the products that he sold.

See and here I've avoided their products because I thought it was a stupid name.

Betty Crocker
Sara Lee
Chef Boyardee
Any business with Washington or Lincoln

And Conk's soap is simply private label VdH anyway; the soap that some think is overrated?

I don't object to their business or business model, I just find the whole thing a little humorous.

And Conk's soap is simply private label VdH anyway; the soap that some think is overrated?

For every product we talk about there are people who think it is overrated, and some that think it is underrated. So the fact that some think it might be overrated really says nothing about the product.

VDH costs less than $2 a puck, (and is locally available for much of the US) you owe it to yourself to try it out, and form your own opinion.

I think Col. Ichabod Conk is a fictional character. I found this using ancestry.com:

Not that this changes anything about the quality of the soap. Just an interesting tid bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------
(Van Nuys News -- G.S. 648)
Fictitious Business Name Statement

The following persons are doing business as COLONEL ICHABOD CONK PRODUCTS at 11419 Moorpark St., North Hollywood, Calif. 91602.

Maurice Klein, 5830 Reseda Blvd., No. 222, Tarzana, Calif. 91356

Richard Klein, 2616 Lake Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles, Calif.

Richard Bernstein, 17020 Burbank Blvd., No. 105, Encino Calif. 91316

Louis L. Litwin, 9100 Wilshire Blvd., No. 301, Beverly Hills Calif., 90212.

This business is conducted by a general partnership.

MAURICE KLEIN

This statement was filed with the County Clerk of Los Angeles County on June 28, 1973.

File No. 73-16132
Publish June 28; July 5. 12. 19. 1973.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The legal requirement for the filing described above I believe comes from here:

http://rrcc.lacounty.gov/Clerk/Business_Name.cfm

I will also say that I saw no census entry, birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, or military commission on ancestry.com for anyone named Ichabod Conk. For this reason plus the legal filing I cited above (which is the only thing I did find with that name), I don't they guy ever existed.

But I could be wrong. If someone finds something, please do tell.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Conk also puts their brand on Dovo Best razors, I believe. I had a Conk and it looked exactly like a Dovo Best. Honed and shaved like one, too. In other words, Meh. Nothing to brag about.

I think Col. Ichabod Conk is a fictional character. I found this using ancestry.com:

Not that this changes anything about the quality of the soap. Just an interesting tid bit.

The following persons are doing business as COLONEL ICHABOD CONK PRODUCTS at 11419 Moorpark St., North Hollywood, Calif. 91602.

MAURICE KLEIN

This statement was filed with the County Clerk of Los Angeles County on June 28, 1973.

File No. 73-16132

I will also say that I saw no census entry, birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, or military commission on ancestry.com for anyone named Ichabod Conk. For this reason plus the legal filing I cited above (which is the only thing I did find with that name), I don't they guy ever existed.

Oddly these are pretty much all close to where I live and/or work. Should I go knock on some doors? I can ask for free product in return for my silence

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks.

Great info on the current company from the wiki.

"The original company ceased business after Conk's death in 1898. The current company does not manufacture its own products, and merely sells rebranded products."

Although that quote makes me care less about the current products since it seems to say they sell others peoples products under their brand.

And also it tells me Col Ichabod was just some guy who married into a family that owned some barber shops and his wife named some stuff after him. And from that the name just stuck around so is now used to sell other peoples products marketed under his name(however those products could probably be obtained for the same quality under different names if someone looked).

So, Col. Ichabod Crane is no one really in summation? He's just a guy that some company exploits his name despite he himself having no great connection to shaving history at all.

very disappointing to hear.

My goodness! Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :wink2: He wasn't 'just' some guy who married into a family that owned barber shops ... he was an entrepreneur broken by the war, who got a business idea to provide quality products people needed and enjoyed using and made his fortune a second time. Many people make great products but are not great at marketing, there is no shame in separating the manufacturing of a product from its distribution, it is a time-honored business function, and often the only way people who make quality products ever capitalize on it.

Col. Ichabod Conk is really a nobody? I disagree. We don't know much about him, but if he was a colonel in the Civil War he was likely a capable military man, although we know nothing of his exploits. I think his story is a classic of old-fashioned American 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' success. And as for the company using his name and image for marketing ... so what? Many folks think highly of their soaps. Do you avoid buying Aunt Jemima pancake syrup because she 'really was a nobody...very disappointing'?

Classic glass half empty, half full clash of viewpoints, I guess. But I don't get your disappointment.

Last edited:
Col. Conk was the Chief of Urology for the Confederacy. He is most famous for getting very drunk and cauterizing the members of an entire company after they had an extended leave in New Orleans.

MAURICE KLEIN

File No. 73-16132

This is getting unhealthy, man.

This is getting unhealthy, man.
Yeah really, even a little scary.....

Hear-ye Hear-ye,
Dread Pirate does not like Conk Products!!!!

I believe that about sums it up. Can we please move on now, I doubt we need to dredge up three more old threads, make new ones, and write 30 more posts on the topic????

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm devastated by the news that there wasn't a real Colonel Conk.

This comes at a particularly bad time, as I have just recently discovered there was no real Captain Crunch.

Top Bottom