What's new

1st Straight?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am going to be buying a straight someday within the next couple of months, after I've practiced with my soon-to-be-arriving loaners. I am curious about what the general consensus is about good vs. bad: is it as highly personal as DEs, or is there some general consensus about what is best within a specific price range? I think I want a light SR, so I can hear it sing, and I want to spend under $150. I have no idea what hollow means, or any of these other terms on here.

So, what is the best straight you've used Any more advice to a (once-again) newb?

The cheaper Dovos tend to be of good, reliable quality, from what I understand. Certainly that's been my experience. You can probably almost get two of them for 150 bucks, and if you can get them professionally honed or hone them yourself, that's a darn good deal. Right now I'm using my Dovo half-hollow and an antique on rotation, and I definitely find it to be a personal thing as I've had other razors that just don't do the job like these two. On the whole, in my limited experience, a good antique is as good if not better than buying new.

Good starter razor for not much $ would be the Wapienica in steel scales.

Never seen a bad review of it.

can still be found on Ebay although those probably wont be shave-ready.

JJ,

I researched str8s for about three months before jumping in...and I'll tell you you are asking a very personalized question. My best advice, from one Newb to another, is to buy a vintage off the B/S/T (if you haven't already been offered one). That way, you wont screw up a nice $150 dollar str8 and can use the rest of the cash on a nice strop.

Anything left over you can treat yourself to some more cream, soap, aftershave, Edt....I mean...we always need more of that right?

I've been at it now for about a month or so and haven't dropped the $150 yet. I've got 5 great str8s from fellow B&Bers and am debating about whether I should spend the $150 I've got on a nice Dovo Bismark or Bone or just use the money elsewhere.

Best of luck in your str8 endevours!

Another option is a razor and strop from Ken Rup. Gold Dollars are regarded as excellent value razors, and Ken fixes any quality control issues such as bad pinning. A strop and razor from him is under $70 shipped.

I would highly recommend a 6/8 Le Grelot 3/4 grind from rasurpur. The price is about $150 delivered, Martin will put a great edge on the razor, and it will likely increase in value over time. Also, it is a fairly heft razor which most beginners like as well as being less than hollow grind, which is also a favorite.

Take a look under the straight razors -> france -> Le Grelot

Top Bottom