What's new

How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out

I plan to try this tonight although I don't feel like my brush smelled bad or funky. And after only one use, it still has the scent of the RazoRock shave soap that I use.

It's a Col Conk boar brush. Last night was my first time and I didn't know if there was a "break-in" procedure so I just went for it and used it. (I'm a DE newbie lol)

I plan to try this tonight although I don't feel like my brush smelled bad or funky. And after only one use, it still has the scent of the RazoRock shave soap that I use.

It's a Col Conk boar brush. Last night was my first time and I didn't know if there was a "break-in" procedure so I just went for it and used it. (I'm a DE newbie lol)

There's nothing wrong with that. Not all brushes have a funk. The break in procedure for a boar brush is just to keep using it and the tips will split. Just keep at it and you'll be fine.

My SOC arrived today and I'm trying this method on it modified with 2 hand lathers of shampoo instead of the dish soap and then the shave soap lather (Musgo Real Classic).

Previously on the Omega 49, I just ran it through a couple of shampoo hand lathers, but it still had a good funk for a few days. It wasn't a problem, it's just that funk doesn't mix well with XXXt:lol:

I’m only a few months in to shaving with a DE Razor and I decided to get a new brush. After reading tons of posts I decided to get the Rooney 3/1 “Super” Silvertip. I tried this method Monday night and washed the brush with Dawn dish soap and let it sit for 10/15 minutes. Then I lathered up with DR Harris Windsor shaving cream and let that sit overnight. The next day after work I rinsed out the brush and the results were amazing. The brush has no smell other than the Windsor smell and is now incredibly soft. I will be breaking my brushes in using this method from now on. Thanks for the info!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I never was concerned about funk, after a few uses it smells like the soap or cream I'm using. Same with breaking in a boar brush, allowed to dry thoroughly, the tips will split (break in) eventually with the outside bristles splitting first.

I tried this method on my new (and first ever brush) Edwin Jagger pure badger brush and it worked perfectly.

The badger funk is gone and brush feels likes it's broken in and is now much softer than before.

IThen I lathered up with DR Harris Windsor shaving cream and let that sit overnight. The next day after work I rinsed out the brush and the results were amazing.

Each brush will smell like the last soap or cream that you use last time
No matter how long you have it,when comes out of the cabinet will smell a little bit from your last shaving
That's not bad.
When you want to de-funk a brush in the first time it's good to choose a strong smell soap or cream and leave it overnight.

Okay, this is a great method. I took a shave in the morning (with my synthetic), and then whipped the new Boar in the remainder of the lather. Let is set for 8 hours, and cleaned off the leather. After drying, it was ready to go. Really nice..!

Last edited:
I'm at step two with my new Omega 48. I'm doing this more to soften the bristles than to deodorize it. It does have a distinct odor but it's not strong enough that I think it would bother me. Anyway, the point of this post is to ask a somewhat hypothetical question...

Has anyone tried shaving with Palmolive dish detergent!? I noticed while cleaning the brush that it really lathered up nicely!! I'm sure others have had this thought but has anyone actually gone ahead and tried it??? This is more a curiosity than a serious thought of adding dish soap to the rotation. And yes, I heard about what happened to the cat.

Great timing for me in finding this thread. My new Semogue 830 arrived, and I was wondering how to break it in and remove the funk. I did the Dawn dish soap for a couple hours, and now I'm letting some Stirling Sandalwood lather dry on it overnight.

Top Bottom