What's new

How cold is it where you live?

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while." [/FONT]~Kin Hubbard

Its cold here in Cleveland. The wind chill has been in the -10 to -15 range for the past several days, and as someone who walks about a mile to work every morning (and back in the afternoon) its been more than a hassle. To add insult to injury, my apartment has been so cold (40 degrees by the window, 48 degrees at the middle of the room) this week, I haven't been remotely comfortable without many layers of sweaters and jackets. Sleeping has been difficult, but getting out of the shower is the worst part.

It was a little nippy in here a few weeks ago, but nothing I couldn't deal with. This week though has been really awful due to the particularly frigid temps outside. Apparently, there is a problem with the boiler in my building that the landlord wasn't aware of until I called on Saturday and he is in the process of having it fixed, but it might be another day or two. Until then, I've borrowed a couple space heaters from a coworker and the landlord has offered to pay for the difference in my power bill. I'm not completely satisfied, but what can I do. Its a very old building, and the radiators can only do so much as it is. All I ask is that they stay hot (which they haven't been, hence the issue with the boiler). Hopefully it will be remedied in the next day or two. Until then, I won't be straying far from these space heaters. Last night was comfortable with the space heater next to my bed, and I'm comfortable with another next to the couch at the moment, and I've only got a sweatshirt and khakis on.
:c5:
I hear its particularly bad all across the entire upper midwest. For those of you who live there and elsewhere, how cold is it where you live? Do you have any interesting/entertaining cold-weather living stories?

It is totally ridiculous here in Maryland-about 3 weeks ago, we had temps inthe 60-70 degree range. Now, it's been absolutely bone-chilling: 0- 10 below a night. It snowed last night which helped by taking the temps up to 15 degrees currently.

Marty

Snowing in London at the moment. They're predicting 5-15cm of snow fall, but it is wet on the ground so I'm not expecting a snow-ball fight in the morning when I leave work.

S.

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while." [/FONT]~Kin Hubbard

Its cold here in Cleveland. The wind chill has been in the -10 to -15 range for the past several days, and as someone who walks about a mile to work every morning (and back in the afternoon) its been more than a hassle. To add insult to injury, my apartment has been so cold (40 degrees by the window, 48 degrees at the middle of the room) this week, I haven't been remotely comfortable without many layers of sweaters and jackets. Sleeping has been difficult, but getting out of the shower is the worst part.

It was a little nippy in here a few weeks ago, but nothing I couldn't deal with. This week though has been really awful due to the particularly frigid temps outside. Apparently, there is a problem with the boiler in my building that the landlord wasn't aware of until I called on Saturday and he is in the process of having it fixed, but it might be another day or two. Until then, I've borrowed a couple space heaters from a coworker and the landlord has offered to pay for the difference in my power bill. I'm not completely satisfied, but what can I do. Its a very old building, and the radiators can only do so much as it is. All I ask is that they stay hot (which they haven't been, hence the issue with the boiler). Hopefully it will be remedied in the next day or two. Until then, I won't be straying far from these space heaters. Last night was comfortable with the space heater next to my bed, and I'm comfortable with another next to the couch at the moment, and I've only got a sweatshirt and khakis on.
:c5:
I hear its particularly bad all across the entire upper midwest. For those of you who live there and elsewhere, how cold is it where you live? Do you have any interesting/entertaining cold-weather living stories?

You are kidding here Its been awile since it has been this cold up here for so long:cursing:

My face feels like it has brain freeze and my fingers become numb after being outside for 2 seconds. And now I'm off to enjoy the wonderful WNY (Western New York) weather.

I think that it's always more difficult to get comfortable when you're cold than it is when you're warm. Even though Phoenix can easily reach 110 degrees F, that's still only 11.4 degrees F more than our average body temperature. Frostbite is always possible when you're exposed to the elements with temperatures at or below 0 degrees F.

Having lived most of my life in the Northeast, I can't say that I miss that part of life. Summer has always been my favorite time of year. Of course... YMMV! :thumbup1:

Stay warm!

chop-chop

Top Bottom