What's new

Mugs

Hey guys, I have been looking around and have not really found any threads on vintage shaving mugs. Does anyone here collect them. I got one my dad gave me, not sure how old it is. I found a old spice coffee mug at a thrift store also. I also found a Japanese reproduction Currier and Ives reproduction mug at a thrift store. My biggest find was a fire king shaving mug from the 50's also at a thrift store. You can see pics of them on my profile. I can't figure out how to put them on here. Does anyone else got a collection out there?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey guys, I have been looking around and have not really found any threads on vintage shaving mugs. Does anyone here collect them. I got one my dad gave me, not sure how old it is. I found a old spice coffee mug at a thrift store also. I also found a Japanese reproduction Currier and Ives reproduction mug at a thrift store. My biggest find was a fire king shaving mug from the 50's also at a thrift store. You can see pics of them on my profile. I can't figure out how to put them on here. Does anyone else got a collection out there?

I'm more of a functional collector myself.
I do collect shaving related stuff, but I use it so I can't see going for the really rare and expensive pieces.
I'd cry myself to sleep if I dropped a wad on a vintage mug and then dropped the vintage mug!!
There are folks here that know of such things, and I'm sure they will be along sooner rather than later!

My "collection" of shaving mugs and bowls slowly grows, but it's mostly various Old Spice mugs, a Seaforth mug, a Fuller Brush scuttle and a couple items that I'm sure weren't intended for shaving but have been made to serve (a sugar bowl, a candy bowl, and a wooden bowl with lid of uncertain origin).

I've always wondered a few things about mugs, however.

What's with the "Mustache Mugs"? You often see them advertised as shaving mugs, but as near as I can tell the little crosspiece only would be useful to keep your mustache out of the beverage in the mug.

What's with the shaving mugs that have a compartment that's big enough for perhaps a half a cake of Williams? They seem like a mini scuttle..but did they make pucks that small, or was the consumer supposed to cut the puck?

proxy.php

The image is from Country Joes Collectibles, and yes, it's for sale...

What's with all the floral scuttles on Ebay? I mean, here we are thumping our hairy chests and flouting our smooth faces as being this manly thing, but the majority of vintage shaving scuttles would be at home in a bathroom where Richard Simmons lives. I know the ladies must have used them, but that many?

Also, what makes a mug a shaving mug...certainly an OS mug or Seaforth mug, since they were marketed with soap (except the OS coffee mugs, but that's another can of worms), and scuttles seem a safe bet, but a Fire King coffee cup seems to be a Fire King shaving mug if you put an old brush next to it.

Last edited:
Topgumby,

I have been trying to figure that out as well. I became interested in this stuff about a month ago. As far as I can tell a shaving mug is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, which drew me to the fire king mug I have. I think a mustache mug is exactly what you say it is. As for the mugs with an out pouching they may be tea mugs with a pouch to put a tea bag on the side. I am with you also with the floral designs what guy would want to use that as his mug. I think it is probably women buying the mugs for the guys and they just use it to be nice. I don't use the mugs I have found I have a little shelf I keep them on. I use a couple of new fiesta mugs for my shaving mugs. I use fiesta ware for my dishes and don't drink out of mugs and they work really well.

Without setting out to collect mugs as such, I accumulated a few more than I actually need, but they're all there to be used. Three Old Spice Mugs, different patterns, which I like, and all of which are holding different soaps. Three Surrey mugs. As near as I can tell, these were modern collectibles sold in conjunction with Surrey soap, a cheap shave soap. There was a series with antique cars, of which I have two, and at least one with a ship. Then three miscellaneous: a modern Col. Conk mug, a fairly modern one with a Currier and Ives reproduction, and another one, says "Barbershop Old Fashioned Luxury", which must be fairly common since I've seen identical ones in pictures of other people's shave dens. This last one is extra wide, almost like a small bowl with a coffee cup handle.

These are somewhat interesting, and I wouldn't mind having a few more, but when they're just taking up room in the bathroom, there's no point.

Some of the really high quality antique ones go for very high prices, but I'm not prepared to go in for that kind of collecting.

We have many members who collect any/all things shave related. I only have three mugs (all in use) but there are some massive collections amongst members here.

Pics fellas, show 'em what you got!

Have always wondered why manufacturers seem to equate words like 'Victorian' or 'traditional' with the need to slap quaint images of tea roses, etc. all over said item made from a delicate bone china.

I recall my grandfather's shave scuttle - hefty chunk of plain white Staffordshire pottery (that being where my family are from) with no images at all.

It was functional, robust and built to last (since they didn't believe in disposable back then, not after serving through a war and having rationing till the '50s) - and I so wish I'd managed to pick it up before it was cleared out after his death.

My "collection" of shaving mugs and bowls slowly grows, but it's mostly various Old Spice mugs, a Seaforth mug, a Fuller Brush scuttle and a couple items that I'm sure weren't intended for shaving but have been made to serve (a sugar bowl, a candy bowl, and a wooden bowl with lid of uncertain origin).

I've always wondered a few things about mugs, however.

What's with the "Mustache Mugs"? You often see them advertised as shaving mugs, but as near as I can tell the little crosspiece only would be useful to keep your mustache out of the beverage in the mug.

What's with the shaving mugs that have a compartment that's big enough for perhaps a half a cake of Williams? They seem like a mini scuttle..but did they make pucks that small, or was the consumer supposed to cut the puck?

proxy.php

The image is from Country Joes Collectibles, and yes, it's for sale...

What's with all the floral scuttles on Ebay? I mean, here we are thumping our hairy chests and flouting our smooth faces as being this manly thing, but the majority of vintage shaving scuttles would be at home in a bathroom where Richard Simmons lives. I know the ladies must have used them, but that many?

Also, what makes a mug a shaving mug...certainly an OS mug or Seaforth mug, since they were marketed with soap (except the OS coffee mugs, but that's another can of worms), and scuttles seem a safe bet, but a Fire King coffee cup seems to be a Fire King shaving mug if you put an old brush next to it.

Hahaha, that's good. Anytime I think of or see Richard Simmons I laugh. Not trying to be mean, there's just something about him that's pure comedy. Some people just got it

I've been picking up all sorts of shaving ephemera these last few months, though with an eye toward stuff that's still useful. Was told on here that an OS mug was "a necessity" and it's certainly just the right size and of pleasing design. I melted some Conks into it.

My current hunt is for a decent metal shave stick/brush tube set, like the old Colgate or Williams offerings. Gotta maintain class on the road too :wink2:

Top Bottom