What's new

Best New Str8 value for $150?

All,

After turning to str8s, I've acquired a number of good vintage razors from some very generous members on B&B.

Now, I'm contemplating buying a single new one. After selling some of my DE gear on the B/S/T, I've got around $150 I'd like to spend on a really nice new razor.

Been looking at the Dovo Red Bone Carbon 5/8 and the Micarta on SRD.

What do ya'll think? Is there something better out there for that price?

All,

After turning to str8s, I've acquired a number of good vintage razors from some very generous members on B&B.

Now, I'm contemplating buying a single new one. After selling some of my DE gear on the B/S/T, I've got around $150 I'd like to spend on a really nice new razor.

I got the Dovo Red Bone Carbon 5/8 from SRD when I first started and I have to say it is my least favorite razor (of only 3). At the same time, I picked up the Dovo 6/8" Carbon Perlex from SRD and I like it much, much better than the Red Bone. I can't say why exactly because I didn't think there would be that much difference, but I just seem to get much better shaves out of the 6/8.

For what it's worth, I like my vintage Black King 6/8" I got for $90 more than either of my new blades.

I'd say spring the extra ~$35 over your budget and get that juicey Torrey posted in the BST!:w00t:

PLease!

So I don't have to:lol:

1. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pour Homme, for $149, from Amazon.
2. TI's Special-Coiffeur, for $136, from Rasage.
3. Wapienica, for $135, from Fendrihan.

All,

Basic law of free market economics, for example? Demand creates supply, establishes pricing mechanism, fosters competition, etc. On the other hand, one can establish a regulated market and assign prices based on views and preferences of the regulated majority, as determined by the pricing commission. In that case, for example, TI prices will not exceed $134.95, and Wapis will not exceed $14.95, and selling Gold Dollars will be prohibited because of complaints about inferior quality.

I really don't know how anyone can justify spending $135 for a $15 or less razor...

Joel raved about the Dovo Special in his review; easily had for under $150. I believe he was honing a 5/8ths for somebody else. I picked up a 6/8ths in BST for my first straight and can't wait to try it out :w00t:

Basic law of free market economics, for example? Demand creates supply, establishes pricing mechanism, fosters competition, etc. On the other hand, one can establish a regulated market and assign prices based on views and preferences of the regulated majority, as determined by the pricing commission. In that case, for example, TI prices will not exceed $134.95, and Wapis will not exceed $14.95, and selling Gold Dollars will be prohibited because of complaints about inferior quality.

Whatever dude. If a rescale is worth $100 to you, that's awesome:
http://cgi.ebay.com/POLISH-RAZOR-FROM-WAPIENICA-ORIGINAL-NOS-WAPI_W0QQitemZ320498791553

Even that is about twice what they used to cost (I'm thinking about two years ago), and I'm sure they were even cheaper at some point. It's something new guys might not realize, and I think if you buy a Wapi for $130 you are throwing money away.

Not sure if Wapi would be classified as "money thrown away". However, I think what you are pointing out is that the Wapis that Fendrihan sells are, in your personal opinion, dramatically overpriced and someone can get a better value by spending money somewhere else. Correct? If so, I would not contest it.

Whatever dude. If a rescale is worth $100 to you, that's awesome:
http://cgi.ebay.com/POLISH-RAZOR-FROM-WAPIENICA-ORIGINAL-NOS-WAPI_W0QQitemZ320498791553

Even that is about twice what they used to cost (I'm thinking about two years ago), and I'm sure they were even cheaper at some point. It's something new guys might not realize, and I think if you buy a Wapi for $130 you are throwing money away.

Top Bottom