What's new

Amazing!

Not sure what value this post will have to y'all except maybe to illustrate that persistence pays off when learning straights, but I was so struck by this that I felt compelled to post it.

I started dabbling in straights (from DEs) last November. I've suffered much frustration, many cuts and almost gave up straights a couple of times. I've had a few epiphanies in that time, each of which significantly improved my shave. While I am still perfecting my straights, my shaves are at least on par with my DE shaves and in some ways much better. Based on my experience to date, I am confident that the advice of the experienced straight shavers on this forum is true: While you may get a decent shave in a month or so, it will probably take 6-12 months to perfect your shave. I can see that I've turned the corner and don't see shaving with anything but a straight.

But what really struck me is the difference between my shave today and my first month of straight shaves. My shaves these days are more effortless than I ever imagined. My shaves that first month (and into the second) at times were excruciatingly frustrating. There were times I thought I just don't have the right face, the right angles, the right beard or whatever to make this the experience that so many raved about. Now I feel like I've entered the promised land, and I see the light.

So, what's in this post for others (i.e. why even post this)? Like I said at the beginning: Persistence. Unless you are truly at your wits end, stick with it, ask questions and try new things. You may be very close to making that next step that makes all the difference.

Very spiritual Mike. I'm still working towards that elusive light at the end of the tunnel. The marks on my chin that'll stay with me were all within days of starting with straights...nowadays, I have a rhythm going and haven't cut myself in a while...and now it's usually a nick vs. a deeper 'wound'. If not for the advice in this forum...I really would have given up weeks ago...

Not sure what value this post will have to y'all except maybe to illustrate that persistence pays off when learning straights, but I was so struck by this that I felt compelled to post it.

I started dabbling in straights (from DEs) last November. I've suffered much frustration, many cuts and almost gave up straights a couple of times. I've had a few epiphanies in that time, each of which significantly improved my shave. While I am still perfecting my straights, my shaves are at least on par with my DE shaves and in some ways much better. Based on my experience to date, I am confident that the advice of the experienced straight shavers on this forum is true: While you may get a decent shave in a month or so, it will probably take 6-12 months to perfect your shave. I can see that I've turned the corner and don't see shaving with anything but a straight.

But what really struck me is the difference between my shave today and my first month of straight shaves. My shaves these days are more effortless than I ever imagined. My shaves that first month (and into the second) at times were excruciatingly frustrating. There were times I thought I just don't have the right face, the right angles, the right beard or whatever to make this the experience that so many raved about. Now I feel like I've entered the promised land, and I see the light.

So, what's in this post for others (i.e. why even post this)? Like I said at the beginning: Persistence. Unless you are truly at your wits end, stick with it, ask questions and try new things. You may be very close to making that next step that makes all the difference.

True indeed. I've been using my straight for several months now, and things are now starting to fall into place. It is a bit of a learning curve, more so than with a DE, but now its getting enjoyable. And so much easier to do. :thumbup1:

+1

I made the transition from DE to straights a short while ago. I notice how every shave is slightly better, though I'm not at the level of closeness or comfort that I get from the DE.
Still, I haven't used a DE in three weeks or so.
I enjoy the "act" of shaving with the straight. I'll get "there" eventually.:thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Congrats on the shave!

It's a good post, good to know that you made it work!!

Nice post. I, too and still only a few months into straights but have reached the point where my shaves are on par with a DE shave. It is a great feeling and even better to know that it will just get better.

Amen to that - persistance is key.

After 3 or 4 months with a straight my neck was still absolutely impossible to get nice and close without major scrapes and irritation. I FINALLY had a moment last week where I tried stretching and pulling the skin on my neck in all kinds of crazy directions while making very short strokes and what do you know - smooth and no irritation - success!

Top Bottom