What's new

Any barefoot runners?

I just read an article about this, and the possible benefits. I found it pretty interesting. It was in the Army Times and should be available online soon. If they were trying to sell something I would be more skeptical, but they're advocating no shoes. Pretty interesting about how shoes cause us to hit heel first which causes the most shock to our system, and that barefoot you are forced to run how you should, where you impact on the ball of your foot which makes you use your calf like a spring to absorb the impact. I don't know why but I really want to give it a little try, once the snow is gone of course.

Anyone even heard of this? Might be fun

I just read an article about this, and the possible benefits. I found it pretty interesting. It was in the Army Times and should be available online soon. If they were trying to sell something I would be more skeptical, but they're advocating no shoes. Pretty interesting about how shoes cause us to hit heel first which causes the most shock to our system, and that barefoot you are forced to run how you should, where you impact on the ball of your foot which makes you use your calf like a spring to absorb the impact. I don't know why but I really want to give it a little try, once the snow is gone of course.

Anyone even heard of this? Might be fun

I've wondered about this as well. But as a sprinter, I was always trained for my heel never to hit the ground at all. You can run in shoes without your heel hitting the ground.

I think I tend to run more on my calves anway, I actually like running up hill better. Only a few more months until the snow is gone....

I don't think they meant you can't run like that in shoes, but they lend themselves to letting people run like that, almost promoting bad form. Just thought it was interesting. I don't think I will be giving up my shoes though any time soon.

Interesting theory, but... who runs on grass? I can't remember the last time I ran on grass. You can't very easily run barefoot on pavement, so I'm going to stick with shoes!

The people in the article run on everything, and mention they don't run on grass. Both have run a marathon barefoot. Crazy!

There is no way I'm running on anything other than grass without shoes. Maybe your skin builds up a tolerance - like those old martial arts skin hardening techniques, - but I would prefer to risk my heel than rip my foot to shreds.

I suppose it is possible to train yourself to land on the ball of your foot while wearing shoes? I tend to pronate and I've had some degree of success training myself to bear more of the weight in the middle of my foot. I do have to think about it, though.

Mark, what's the marathoner's view of heel striking vs. ball of the foot?

If you ever look at marathoners run in still pictures it seems like the never strike the ground. Thats because they have a perfect running gate where the ball and the arch take the impact and make them have a quicker turnover. Running on your heels is very inefficient because of the impact effects your back and fatigues you quicker.

Your shoulders should be relaxed and low, arms at a 90 degree angle at the elbows. It is always more efficient using a quick cadence since your feet are on the ground for a shorter period of time.

Nike makes great running flats for training. I always used the lightest shoes that didn't have much arch support. Arch support is un natural, human feet are meant to be barefoot and support itself but that's a debate that goes on like Tabac v. MWF.

Another good way to run is to stay off cement (sidewalks) as silly as it may sound asphalt is less stressful on your joints than sidewalks.

I have recently started transitioning to wearing my Vibram Five Fingers for running (about .5 to 2 miles at a slow pace). Outside some tightness in new places in my feet and lower legs I am liking it well enough so far. I will let you know as my distance progresses. A few things I have noticed is my gait is pretty ginger on concrete but after the first few minutes I start to open up my stride and grass is an absolute delight to run on.

I have also been wearing my VFF's for my normal everyday out in town errands and love them.

I highly recommend the Vibrams. I've been using a pair for some of my running and crossfit for the last year or so (for 1-2 workouts per week only). It really is weird at first, but over time I've noticed a substantial change in my efficiency. That is to say that while I've not gotten markedly faster, I feel much less fatigued doing a given activity despite a relatively static level of overall fitness.

The key is to start off small, and very gradually increase barefooting (or quasi-barefooting in Vibrams) over time.

I also feel as though my feet are a lot stronger and more flexible as a result.

I have recently started transitioning to wearing my Vibram Five Fingers for running (about .5 to 2 miles at a slow pace). Outside some tightness in new places in my feet and lower legs I am liking it well enough so far. I will let you know as my distance progresses. A few things I have noticed is my gait is pretty ginger on concrete but after the first few minutes I start to open up my stride and grass is an absolute delight to run on.

I have also been wearing my VFF's for my normal everyday out in town errands and love them.

I am wondering what would happen if I show up PT in the fivefingers.:blink::blink:

Who says you have to run barefoot to run barefoot? Take a look at these.

Edit: Oops. Didn't see the two posts above. Or they posted while I was being all clever with the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom