What's new

adjustable settings

I have an adjustable safety razor, and I have no idea what the setting are for, I know they adjust the "depth" (more or less). If I am shaving off a few days growth should I use a "deeper" setting or actually a more "shallow" one.
Thanks for the help guys!

The settings adjust the blade gap, that is the distance between the razor edge and the safety bar. Higher numbers = larger gap = more aggressive. You might find that a more aggressive razor works better for several days growth. You might find that it works better all around just because the larger gap doesn't clog as easily.
Some dial it down after the first pass, some dial it up, some leave it the same. For every way there is to shave with it there is someone who will claim that way is the best.

I have an adjustable safety razor, and I have no idea what the setting are for, I know they adjust the "depth" (more or less). If I am shaving off a few days growth should I use a "deeper" setting or actually a more "shallow" one.

the instruction is in German, but the picture speaks for itself - position 1=gently, position 9 = grossly:

If the scale is 1 to 9, start with a 3, then go up or down depending on how it feels (up to get a closer shave, down to increase comfort).

If the scale is 1 to 9, start with a 3, then go up or down depending on how it feels (up to get a closer shave, down to increase comfort).

+1

If you are learning DE shaving, don't change the setting too often. You need to learn touch and angle and changing the setting can leave you wondering what caused what! ) And, remember, good shaves start with a good lather!!

This page might help on figuring out aggressiveness: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness. You might help out here by identifying the adjustable in question. Shaving is more art than science. The setting for a few days growth is more up to you than it is any chart or graph. I myself would tend to knock off the long stubble at a less aggressive setting with the first pass, then dial it up a bit for subsequent passes.

Honestly I think it could be any of those, but I am leaning more towards one of the fatboys. I will get a magnifying glass out and take a peek on the underside of the blade housing, and see if I can read all the tiny engraving.... LOL

Depends on your beard and your skin. If you set it too low, it will take several passes to get a smooth shave. If you set it too high you risk irritation and discomfort...you are whacking off a layer of skin. Personally, my shave is not an occasion where I look for adventure. I like to set mine at the lowest setting that will give me a smooth, comfortable shave. For me that translates to about midrange...four or five. About equivalent, it seems to me, to a non-adjustable 40's Superspeed.

Top Bottom