What's new

Parker or Sanguine or some other disposable straight?

I'd like to give one of these "straight" razors that take disposable half DE blades a try. I am not yet willing to deal with the overhead of a real straight or the more expensive Feather or Kai straights that take special disposable blades.

I'm interested in seeing if holding one of these razors in my hand is something that would even appeal to me, if I can move them around my face, etc. I understand all the caveats, they are not real straights, etc.

So far I identified the Parker SR, Sanguine (not sure about the current models) and Dovo Shavette.

Which one of these should I try or is there a different one worthy of consideration?

So far I identified the Parker SR, Sanguine (not sure about the current models) and Dovo Shavette.

Which one of these should I try or is there a different one worthy of consideration?

I owned a Dovo Shavette. I had the plastic one, and not the stainless version. If you go the Dovo route, make sure to buy the stainless version for the extra weight. However, the blade holder on the Dovo is very chintzy consisting of a plastic holder that slides into the razor. It will wear out eventually.

The Parker is pretty well reviewed. Seems better built than the Dovo as well.

In my opinion, your results will closer mimic the results of a real straight if you use a Shavette that doesn't use a 1/2 DE blade. The DE blade is super short, and fairly flexible. It's thus less forgiving than a real straight.

If you want to experiment on the cheap, buy a Fromm Hair Shaper from Sally Beauty: the non-flexible, thicker, longer blade will more closer approximate a true straight.

You can buy the Fromm, and 10 blades for less than $10.

I think they are much of a muchness. Barbers use that type of razor to give a straight shave and they work really well.

Once you master the technique, you can try the straight in knowledge that you have a fall back while you master the sharpening technique. It isn’t all that difficult and it’s really quite easy if you can get the opportunity to watch someone who knows how to hone and strop. You can learn a lot just by watching and listening.

The shave from the disposable blade type razor is just as comfortable as a full straight in my experience.

I owned a Dovo Shavette. I had the plastic one, and not the stainless version. If you go the Dovo route, make sure to buy the stainless version for the extra weight. However, the blade holder on the Dovo is very chintzy consisting of a plastic holder that slides into the razor. It will wear out eventually.

The Parker is pretty well reviewed. Seems better built than the Dovo as well.

In my opinion, your results will closer mimic the results of a real straight if you use a Shavette that doesn't use a 1/2 DE blade. The DE blade is super short, and fairly flexible. It's thus less forgiving than a real straight.

If you want to experiment on the cheap, buy a Fromm Hair Shaper from Sally Beauty: the non-flexible, thicker, longer blade will more closer approximate a true straight.

You can buy the Fromm, and 10 blades for less than $10.

+1 on the Fromm Hair Shaper. I literally just bought one yesterday afternoon. I shaved a bit with it last night and the longer blade does seem like it would be better than a half DE blade (I've never used one however). You can get them at Sally Beauty Supply if you have one in your area. I also recommend going to the Men's section of the store as they might have some good deals on shaving stuff (I got some Clubman bump repair gel for $3.49 on clearance from $7.99).

Good luck with your purchases. :thumbup1:

EDIT: michiganlover already said you can get them at Sally. I'll leave it in my post for redundancy. :tongue_sm

Excellent info.

I was thinking half DE blades because my face seems to prefer thin, flexible blades. I'm saying this because I got very poor results with an Injector, GEM Micromatic and Trac II. However, I get very good shaves with just a DE razor or a Gillette Sensor, which have the thin, flexible kind of blades.

The Parker is very nice, and not expensive. I think I got mine with 120 shark 1/2 blades for about $23.00.

The Sanguine is also nice, but you'll have to get it from England. Its a good shaver also, and will probable run around $20.00 with shipping and just 1 pack of Wilkinson blades.

I'd stay away from the Dovo shavette. Their quite expensive and IMHO don't shave as well as either the Parker of the Sanguine. I think the Parker would be the way to go. :thumbup1:

I looked at the Fromm Hair Shaper from Sally's and it seems that the razor has a blade guard, something that looks like a comb. Is that removable or supposed to use it just like that for shaving or am I looking at the wrong razor?

Last edited:
I looked at the Fromm Hair Shaper from Sally's and it seems that the razor has a blade guard, something that looks like a comb. Is that removable or supposed to use it just like that for shaving or am I looking at the wrong razor?

That's the right razor and the guard is removable! It just slides right off the blade. Be careful though! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom