What's new

very light acne

hey, i sometimes get VERY light acne, perhaps 1-2 zits every now and then, but i do too much to have acne!

sometimes its a lil overkill actually... i use "nivea double action face wash" AND "neutrogena razor defense face scrub" in the shower before my shave, then after my shave i put on some combination of witch hazal, aftershave splash, and/or balm (depending on how my shave went), then later a SPF lotion (eucerin SPF 30) before i go outside if there is sun.

perhaps the moisturizers cause the zits... does that happen? if it is the case would an anti-acne face wash in the shower help at all? i'm thinking no on yet another face wash.
or what about an anti-acne cream? more effective? yet another product on my face every day:001_huh:

maybe my whole routine needs to be re-evaluated, as i kinda just threw it together without thinking...

I wouldn't want to give up the aftershave splash, aftershave balm, and witch hazel, as it is part of an enjoyable shave, i don't use it all everyday thou, it depends on the shave.

the face washes? I'm not attached to them. Do i need the face wash and face scrub everyday, or is it a bit silly?:001_huh: maybe something else would be better...

I do think i need SPF during the day, as i am VERY pale and tend to burn easy, but I'm not attached to the eucerin everyday protection face lotion SPF 30

You have actually identified the cause of your problem yourself: your routine does indeed seem like overkill.

You could try to figure out which step is the perpetrator by removing products from your routine until the acne stops. I would nix the Neutrogena product first; despite being ubiquitous, Neutrogena products are not that great (while this is a generalization, I am basing this on popular opinion and my own experience). If that doesn't stop the pimples, it's up to you what to stop using next. If it were me, I would then ditch the Nivea facewash, which could be too rough on your skin, and opt for something milder (and likely better): a bar of simple glycerin soap, which is the best sort of soap you can use on your face (doctors and dermatologists have both confirmed this to me). The balm could just as easily be mixing poorly with your skin, and the aftershave could be irritating it (does it contain alcohol?). The witch hazel and sunscreen actually tone and protect your skin, respectively, so definitely keep them in your routine.

I too have acne issues. I took me 2 months to find the right combination, but the acne has been pretty much cleared up with the following routine:

-Shower: clean with Menscience cleanser
-Post shower: pat dry, apply Menscience toner
-Allow toner to dry while loading brush with Proraso soap
-Face lather with Proraso soap
-3 pass shave
-After cold water rinse, splash with Thayer's witch hazel (no alcohol)
-Clean up while waiting for witch hazel to dry/evaporate
-Apply Menscience moisturizer (dedicated moisturizer rather than an aftershave balm)
-Apply cologne for scent

I think my acne problem was caused by having oily skin and using too many moisturizing products leading to clogged pores. Shave creams are too moisturizing so I use shave soaps. Art of Shaving and D.R. Harris soaps were too moisturizing--lots of acne--the soaps I have had the best luck with are Trumpers Rose, TOBs Lavendar, l'Occitane, and especially Proraso. Aftershave balms are too moisturizing, so a splash is better. Some splashes have too much moisturizing action from added oils, so I've grown to love witch hazel, especially Thayer's Rose and Lavendar. As for the toner before shaving, I don't know if this is absolutely necessary, but I have been having such a good run of it I'm not about to experiment further by cutting it out.

The Menscience stuff is expensive, but the products seem like they will last a long time. The Menscience moisturizer has no oils in it, leaving my face soft, smooth, yet dry in a good way for most of the day, and most importantly: no zits.

Someday I will try to replace the Menscience stuff with cheaper drugstore brands--but after two months of experimenting, I have been acne free for the last three weeks and do not want to mess with the program just yet.

I too have acne issues. I took me 2 months to find the right combination, but the acne has been pretty much cleared up with the following routine:

-Shower: clean with Menscience cleanser
-Post shower: pat dry, apply Menscience toner
-Allow toner to dry while loading brush with Proraso soap
-Face lather with Proraso soap
-3 pass shave
-After cold water rinse, splash with Thayer's witch hazel (no alcohol)
-Clean up while waiting for witch hazel to dry/evaporate
-Apply Menscience moisturizer (dedicated moisturizer rather than an aftershave balm)
-Apply cologne for scent

I think my acne problem was caused by having oily skin and using too many moisturizing products leading to clogged pores. Shave creams are too moisturizing so I use shave soaps. Art of Shaving and D.R. Harris soaps were too moisturizing--lots of acne--the soaps I have had the best luck with are Trumpers Rose, TOBs Lavendar, l'Occitane, and especially Proraso. Aftershave balms are too moisturizing, so a splash is better. Some splashes have too much moisturizing action from added oils, so I've grown to love witch hazel, especially Thayer's Rose and Lavendar. As for the toner before shaving, I don't know if this is absolutely necessary, but I have been having such a good run of it I'm not about to experiment further by cutting it out.

The Menscience stuff is expensive, but the products seem like they will last a long time. The Menscience moisturizer has no oils in it, leaving my face soft, smooth, yet dry in a good way for most of the day, and most importantly: no zits.

Someday I will try to replace the Menscience stuff with cheaper drugstore brands--but after two months of experimenting, I have been acne free for the last three weeks and do not want to mess with the program just yet.

Your problem is you went straight to the expensive nad high-end products. You would have been better off with the Colonel Conk soaps or even Williams mug soap. I can't use shaving soaps or anything that contains drying alcohols because they over dry my face which then leads to zits. At the same time I can't use anything with oil ingredients because they clog up the pores. This routine has been keeping my face clear:

-Wash face with Cerave foaming face wash
-Shave with Clubman Shave Cream (bought in local beauty supply store)
-Give entire face rinse of cold water
-Put Sharps barber and shop aftershave gel on beard area (aftershave balms are to moisturizing for me)
-Apply Cerave moisturizer to the rest of my face (keeps face from being overly dry)

one or two zits every now and then I wouldn't worry about. Sounds like your over thinking and over doing it. We all get them, every now and again. The only thing I would suggest is ditch the Nieva, they are not horrible but there is so much better. Your gonna have to trial and error and see what works best for you. I still am lol

Clean and Clear has a face wash that is 10% benzoyl peroxide. I forget the name but it comes in a purple bottle. Give it a shot, just use it morning and night. I have more than light acne (but not terrible). Combined with my prescription antibiotic this seems to do a pretty good job. I use it on my back in the shower as well and my back has been more or less clear for a long time now.

Here is my 2 cents.

With your condition I would keep it as simple as possible. Wash your face once a day with something gentle.

Use De La Cruz Sulfur ointment 10% as needed (right over and around the bumbs) according to the label and as needed. ($4.99 some Walmarts have it also some Walgreens). Use when you have a breakout to dry them up. This will last you a long time.

I'd recommend Target Daily Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 as a sunscreen, and whenever it's appropriate wear a hat too.

The Eurcerin 30 Spf you mention is definitely great stuff, but as I'm sure you know, it will make you look even paler because it contains quite a bit of zinc oxide (physical sunscreen).

Last edited:
Top Bottom