What's new

Williams versus Williams - Combe and Smithkline-Beecham compared

Hi everyone,

As a few of you are aware, I had started a discussion about Williams Mug Soap, first trying to identify a "mystery" Williams puck that I had in my possession, and then discussing the differences between the Smithkline-Beecham (pre-Combe) version and the current Combe Incorporated version of Williams Mug Soap. Here's the other thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138298

And so, the other night, I went out and spent CAD$1.67 on a Combe Williams cake. No expense spared for you guys! :biggrin1: Actually, I bought 2 cakes, one to use and the other to compare in its pristine form. This thread will comprise of my observations of the soaps, both the external packaging, the visual and olfactory observations of the two cakes, the lathering, and the shaving with them. You get to see close-ups of my ugly mug, too. (facial mug, rather than shaving soap mug. :laugh:)

Please take what I say with a grain of salt. Not only am I an under-50 posts guys (in terms of number of posts...well, age also), but the observations are from my own limited experience in wet shaving -- compared to a number of you lifers around here :biggrin1:. *cough*

Due to the image limitations of the posts, and the fact that I don't know how to put captions on the images here, I'll try to describe as best I can. Be mindful of the fact that the Smithkline-Beecham Williams will be on the right hand side, where possible.

The first image is of the shaving mugs in which I have my Williams cakes, labeled appropriately. The outer boxes of each are shown in front of the corresponding mugs.

The second image shows the lather from "the day after", for each soap. Notice how each Williams cake evaporates differently. I found the Combe lather to dry out much more quickly than the Smithklime-Beecham lather, both on the face and in the mugs.

The other images merely show the box rotated, to show the differences in writing.

The last image shows the address and UPC information for both.

The differences between the two Williams soaps just from the outer boxes appear to be:

• the print of the words, and on the actual front logo, are different
  • the weights are different - 49 grams for the Combe cake, and 42 grams for the Smithkline-Beecham cake
  • the Combe Williams lists the ingredients, whereas the Smithkline-Beecham (and even the pre-Smithkline-Beecham soap I have) do not list the ingredients
  • The Smithkline-Beecham Williams lists a Canadian address, however, the Combe Williams lists the White Plains, NY address. Both Williams are bilingual (English/French), as is the requirement in Canada
More to come. Next post will be of the actual cakes of soap themselves.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Next are images of the actually cakes of soaps. From an olfactory standpoint, the Smithkline-Beecham Williams just smells like a nice, clean soap. I've always thought that there was the HINT of citronella, but not to the point of the Combe Williams. The citronella-like scent in the Combe puck is VERY pronounced. It's almost as though Combe wanted to make Williams a fragrant shaving soap, and therefore pumped up the HINT of citronella scent right up to 11 on the dial that goes to 10.

Visually, you can decide for yourself, in the images below.

The first image is of the Combe cake, the next is of the Smithkline-Beecham cake. Notice the difference in writing, image, and even the slight size difference of the soaps themselves, including the "outer band" around them.

Next, a side view, showing the thickness of each. Notice the Combe cake on the left, having an extra band around it, as though they added an additional layer to the soap cake itself. Can this account for the +7 grams difference? Mebbe.

Lastly, the underside of the cakes.

Next, I will show images of how each of them lather, and my observations as to the shaving experience with each. This will be in a couple of hours, however -- need to do lunch and get the kiddies fed. Be back soon!

Regards,
Jimmy

Okay, so it was a long lunch. :laugh: Sorry about that.

So, I lathered on the Williams soaps and gave it a go. Used a Burt's Bees boar bristle brush for both tests, first lathering with the Combe Willams, shaving half my face, rinsed, and then lathered up with the Smithkline-Beecham Williams, and shaved the other side.

First off, both Williams performed beautifully. I got a nice, close shave, the lather of both being very slick, cushiony, and reasonably moisturizing. No razor burn, nicks or weepers.

Let me say that anyone who can't make Williams lather up...well, that wasn't true in my case. I must have okay water in my taps as I was able to get both to lather up quite easily -- nice, thick, luscious lather. At first, anyway. :wink2: Read on.

The lather from the Combe Williams would be my biggest complaint. Huh?? :blink: Didn't I just say that both Williams lathered up quite easily?? I sure did. So, am I a compulsive liar?? Maybe. Am I crazy? :out: Quite often. But hear me out: the lather from the Combe Williams didn't last. :nonod: It did still leave enough of a slick, soapy layer such that I was able to continue my shave quite nicely. The thing is, I like to SEE my lather as I'm shaving. The Smithkline-Beecham lathered up and stayed lathered. This is also evident in how the lather dries on the cakes of each Williams brand -- where the Smithkline-Beecham Williams seems to "keep" it's lather in the mug, even as it dries.

So, here are the pics. First pic is me lathering up with the Combe Williams. Looks good huh? (I mean the soap lather!).

Next, me shaving the right side of my face with my Merkur Classic -- yes, against the grain. It just feels more like I've actually shaved something that way. :biggrin1: Oh, I also shave with my shirt off, usually. I mean, you never know when that fishnet stocking'd FBI agent chick is gonna come busting through my door -- even if it is in Canada where I live. :ihih: Anyway, you see the lather already drying. :mad3:

Third pic, you see me having lathered up the Smithkline-Beecham Williams, and doing my marketing pose for Merkur & Williams. (meh...maybe not).

Fourth pic, you see me shaving the left side of my face with the Smithkline-Beecham Williams, and still having half a face full of lather.

The fifth pic is a redux of the lather in the respective mugs, the Combe on the left, the Smithkline-Beecham on the right. Notice how the lather dries on the soap, in each case.

All in all, the shave went quite well. Does the one Williams moisturize better than the other? No bloody clue -- I didn't lather just the one side during this experiment (I don't feel right not lathering the whole face when I lather up).

Anyway, hope that this little experiment has been helpful, and that I've helped reinforced/dispelled any myths about Williams Mug Soap.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Wow!! What a great post. Thanks for your service to the board. I eagerly await the results of the lathering!! :w00t::w00t:

Thanks, John! My way of repaying the many members for all the posts that I've benefited from. Thanks to you and all the rest of the B&Bers for making this such a great place!

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Great posts.

If I may...my Williams (Combe) lather will pull a Houdini and dissipate if I don't load the brush like I was a congress-critter and soap was money.

If I load up like there is no tomorrow, the lather doesn't pull a vanishing act.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My recollection was that it always did the disappearing act unless you kept going a bit. You've done the side by side though so I can't argue.

That was a well conducted scientific experiment!! Thanks so much for the time and effort!!

And to my delight, the more vintage soap showed the more lasting lather, which has been my own personal experience with a vintage Williams puck versus a brand new store bought one.

Great effort, stick around at B&B!:001_smile

Thanks to Jimmy for the post.

If I may...my Williams (Combe) lather will pull a Houdini and dissipate if I don't load the brush like I was a congress-critter and soap was money.

If I load up like there is no tomorrow, the lather doesn't pull a vanishing act.

I use a water test - for Williams (Combe) and for other soaps too. If I drop a bit of lather into the water in the sink, it should float. If it disappears, it isn't really lather yet. Inadequate Williams foam will actually hiss as it dissolves.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks to Jimmy for the post.

I use a water test - for Williams (Combe) and for other soaps too. If I drop a bit of lather into the water in the sink, it should float. If it disappears, it isn't really lather yet. Inadequate Williams foam will actually hiss as it dissolves.

Vampiric Williams!!

John and his VDH are in trouble now!

:lol:

V

VR6ofpain

This thread makes me wish I liked Williams. I buy it from time to time, but honestly it is too inconsistent for me. I can sometimes make good lather with it, other times it is till thin.

I personally like the scent though. For me ARKO is Williams scent pushed to like 20 (on the same dial that goes to 10). I had to let my ARKO stick air out for a couple days, as it was overpowering. Williams on the other hand is just nice and clean out of the box.

The thread points out my problem with Williams - by the time you use enough soap to get the lather necessary for a good shave, you aren't getting much value out of the cheap puck. And it makes for a lot more work.

Inadequate Williams foam will actually hiss as it dissolves.

"Frodo! We'll never get close enough to Mt. AXE to cast the One Original Fusion into the fire!"

"Ah, Sam, we must try, even if we never gaze apon the green hills, DE blades and badger brushes of the Shire again."

"Mr. Frodo, d'you here that? It's that cheap creature, Williams again! Following us! Hissing! Disappearing! Should I kill it?"

"No, Sam, I feel pity for it. I think that a long time ago, before he got warped and twisted by the corporate Orcs, he must have been a better creature than he is today."

"Alright, Mr. Frodo, if you say so. Say, do you have any more of that Shulton Old Spice the Dwarves gave us?"

"Alas, Sam, all I have left is a few drops of Aqua Di Gio the Elves snuck in to our provisions...."

Top Bottom