What's new

First at home straight shave - why did I wait so long?!

Hey all - so I had my first self administered (non barbershop) straight shave yesterday. That video really tipped me over the edge & made me take the plunge (thx Joel) - I went directly from a DE to the straight.

I whipped up some face lather with MWF on one half of my face so the other side wouldn't dry out (thx Luc!), & then armed myself with one of the fine examples of a vintage ivory scaled Sheffield I was sent up - the result of several patiently answered questions - (thx Gugi), I gave it a go. This one came shave ready & stropped, so I didn't have to take advantage of the free honing offer (thx Mainaman).

I played with angles just below the sideburn area & gradually increased it until I had the minimum neccessary angle to cut hair easily (thx DEShaver). Then I tried to continue those same angles throughout the shave. I found the upper & lower lip was actually very easy (thx Chimensch!)

No nicks, no cuts, and although the shaving videos were useful to watch last week, the only thing that seemed to matter while actually shaving was the blade angle on my face and light strokes. All the speculation in my head about different points & grinds vanished when I actually started cutting (thx Floppyshoes!)

When shaving some of the tougher beard just under my chin (I didn’t shave for 3 days before the straight) it felt like it didn’t want to start cutting so I had to push a little bit hard. I relathered there & tried again - a bit easier but not much different, so I manouevered around it with the heel of the blade several times in different directions & managed to get it all.

I can see how the blade could slip & cut skin while pushing against stubborn stubble but I guess I got lucky. While shaving this first time, I completely trusted the blade would only cut what I wanted to. Sorry if that sounds corny but I think it helped!

Then I lathered the left side of my face & found that switching hands was easier for that side of the face, but switched back to my right hand for the jawline & neck area there.

The blade was cutting smoothly again unlike the under chin area, so it's probably extra tough stubble there, or wrong technique on my part more likely. I kept forgetting to stretch before cutting - how the heck does one stretch the chin area anyway?

Rinsed the blade, wiped it dry, aired it for a few & put it away in a nice handmade case (thx Neil). Once done, slapped some toner on my face, and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of sting.

I was surprised by how smooth the whole thing went and I did the entire shave without using a DE afterwards to clean up - that was the best part for me. My previous encounters with straights a few years back was not particularly satisfying, so I ended up going to a barbershop once in a while with a tub of Kiehl's (surprisingly good for straight shaving) to get my fix.

All I can say to folks considering using straights - do it sooner than later, it's relaxing, rewarding & provides results when done correctly.

Forget EBay unless it's someone known here; get a shave ready razor from the B/S/T, focus on beard prep & use low pressure + moderate angles to make your first shave easy!

Ask anyone here for help and it comes in spades.:thumbup1:

They made this first shave go so smooth that it's easy to get cocky within a few shaves & get bitten by the blade :blushing:

I appreciate all the pointers & help I've gotten from the members here, both directly & by reading the posts - THX much!

Last edited:
Congrats! I have gone exclusively to shaving with straights in the last month after bouncing back and forth to the DE. I love shaving with the straights and it just keeps getting better.

Stick with it.

As a newbie to str8's, 3 shaves, congrats on the shave. I got a nice cut on my first shave and a little one on my second, but the last shave went off without a hitch. Here's the other cool thing, the shaves get closer and last longer. I love str8 shaving and don't know how I went so many years buying into the Gillette cartridge marketing. This is how it was meant to be done. :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great stuff!! I'm very happy that you got a great first shave, it doesn't always happen!

Excellent!

Yes, do be careful. It was on shave #2 that I got my first cut!:blink:

:thumbup1:

+1 By the way, a blade that is not moving when touching the face is likely to cut you. One good way to create some momentun to cut hair and avoid cutting skin is to start the razor moving before its touches your face ... sort of like the Marines "hitting the ground running".

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

I had shave # 2 yesterday with the same blade, happy to report that it was relatively uneventful, I took it even slower than the first shave.

I gave it 50 strokes per side on the surface marked "finish" of an old shell strop & I don't think I buggered up the excellent edge too bad, it seemed to shave similarly to the first shave, but I wasn't entirely certain, no experience at all in recognizing a deteriorating edge!

I'm still not quick enough to get both sides of the face before the lather dries out but I tried to work on the difficult parts for me - the upper lip & underside of the chin.

The "moving before touching" worked great on the upper lip! I saw a video of that "coup de maitre" & I'm too chicken to try that one for now.

The part of the underside of the chin though - that one is baffling - still can't shave that part easily - I ended up doing dozens of tiny strokes in all directions with the heel of the blade to get the stubble off - and I felt the resulting sting of the aftershave on my chin - I think I was getting a bit aggressive with the multiple strokes there.

Any suggestions?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for the encouragement folks!

I had shave # 2 yesterday with the same blade, happy to report that it was relatively uneventful, I took it even slower than the first shave.

I gave it 50 strokes per side on the surface marked "finish" of an old shell strop & I don't think I buggered up the excellent edge too bad, it seemed to shave similarly to the first shave, but I wasn't entirely certain, no experience at all in recognizing a deteriorating edge!

I'm still not quick enough to get both sides of the face before the lather dries out but I tried to work on the difficult parts for me - the upper lip & underside of the chin.

The "moving before touching" worked great on the upper lip! I saw a video of that "coup de maitre" & I'm too chicken to try that one for now.

The part of the underside of the chin though - that one is baffling - still can't shave that part easily - I ended up doing dozens of tiny strokes in all directions with the heel of the blade to get the stubble off - and I felt the resulting sting of the aftershave on my chin - I think I was getting a bit aggressive with the multiple strokes there.

Any suggestions?

Which soap do you use? You might need to charge your brush a bit more.

Hi Luc I use MWF 99% of the time as I find it very easy to get a moisturizing, cushiony lather from it, so I don't think that's the problem; I also load the heck out of a dense brush and face lather.
On the recent shave yesterday, I relathered the problem chin area a couple times to eliminate the soap as a possible cause.
I find myself beginning to forcefully push the blade in that area as it doesn't want to cut hair with the same light pressure as the rest of the face.

Last edited:
Wow! I wish I was as lucky as you with my first and second shave. I didn't get cut, but there was a bunch of stubble leftover.

If you can pull the area under your chin lower or higher, it helps get to the problem areas. I like putting my bottom lip in my mouth and pull down right under my chin. I didn't realize I had that much movement in my chin area :)

Luc

Staff member
Hi Luc I use MWF 99% of the time as I find it very easy to get a moisturizing, cushiony lather from it, so I don't think that's the problem; I also load the heck out of a dense brush and face lather.
On the recent shave yesterday, I relathered the problem chin area a couple times to eliminate the soap as a possible cause.
I find myself beginning to forcefully push the blade in that area as it doesn't want to cut hair with the same light pressure as the rest of the face.

You might need to try a lightly different direction... However, considering where you are right now, I would recommend to give this some time...

Shave #3 on the 24th went pretty much the same as shave #2, but the under chin area seemed to go a bit better. I tried the scything movement suggested by members very gently and it seemed to help, as it look less strokes to cut those tough whiskers than before.

Shave #4 yesterday was the nicest yet, and I finally managed to shave both sides of my face without lathering in halves.

Well, OK, I did the chin area last and relathered there after the rest of my face & neck were done.

I finally see what y'all have been saying about "being patient & the shaves will get better " - I have no idea why or what I did different but the problem area under the chin didn't seem to be a problem area yesterday.

I think I used a combination of scything strokes real close to the pivot ie with the heel of the blade, across the grain and with a slightly shallower angle.

And I'm putting that one down more to luck than anything in particular that I did; hopefully I can repeat that during my next shave.

I'm actually looking forward to the next shave, this is so much more fun than a DE :tongue_sm

I agree, it is actually fun to shave. I'm trying out a couple of new razors I just got, the Torrey 7/8" is my favorite so far. SRAD has kicked in! :laugh:

Glad it is going well for you.

Yeah, it's an addiction alright, especially when members post all those delicious B/S/T blades.
And to think that I switched to straights so I could save $$$ on DE blades :w00t:

Yeah, it's an addiction alright, especially when members post all those delicious B/S/T blades.
And to think that I switched to straights so I could save $$$ on DE blades :w00t:

Yeah, the theory is great on saving $$$, practice hasn't worked out so well for me. :001_tt2: Ah well, it is only money and I'm enjoying myself.

Top Bottom