What's new

Sharpening stones for pocket and hunting knives

Currently I don't have any way to sharpen my pocket, hunting, and kitchen knives (besides the steel rod which I don't think actually sharpens). I was thinking of going with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. My father used had a lansky sharpener set that was ok. I was also thinking of getting some sharpening stones and sharpening them free hand. I know freehand sharpening will take a lot of practice but I feel that in time, it will be more versatile and easier to obtain a razor sharp edge than using a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Any suggestions?

My budget right now is only $50 but if I can get something for cheaper, then I am all for it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I started with a 1000x water stone. It was all I needed for a long time. When I got into razors I found that I actually liked my kitchen knives a bit sharper.

You can find a 1000x or 1200x at less than $30. I'd be tempted to go with a 800/4000 combination if I were to start again. I see woodcraft have one of these for less than $30 as well.

I'm sure there will be more advice coming so don't rush.

I started with a 1000x water stone. It was all I needed for a long time. When I got into razors I found that I actually liked my kitchen knives a bit sharper.

You can find a 1000x or 1200x at less than $30. I'd be tempted to go with a 800/4000 combination if I were to start again. I see woodcraft have one of these for less than $30 as well.

I'm sure there will be more advice coming so don't rush.

I was thinking maybe a combination set like you mentioned. If not maybe two-three single stones.

I use three Arkansas stones for softer steel blades (normal pocket knife like AUS8 or carbon)

That sharpmaker is tough to beat. It's that good. What kind of steel? If ats34 or s30v you may need to diamond stick for the sharpmaker also.

If you have a tough steel and like free hand, then a fine diamond hone also works well for me. Freehand though.

Since you are a beginner i would recommend trying to find a spyderco triangle sharp maker (I don't like Lanskey)... it takes some of the guesswork out of finding the right angle you can pick up a used one for about 40$ (just don't drop the sticks because they break like glass). I do professional knife sharpening for a friend of mine that makes knives so i have found that the best possible edge depends on the type of steel. i currently have a range of stones from 500 -12000 grit including water stones (natural and man made), diamond, composite and arkansas stones ( i do it all by hand without the use of a slack belt sander) . I would say if you want to learn to sharpen knives on a flat stone that you get a hand full of swap meet knives that you could practice on with out getting upset when you f%^&* them up. Try to get knives that have different blade profiles and at least a couple of Tanto blades because i promise you that on that one you will get it completely wrong the 1st time, 2nd time...12th time. The hardest part on any style blade is getting the angle the same on both sides ... don't get frustrated. I have been honing my skills(no pun intended)for about 20 years and just in the last 5 years i got to a point where i would consider my self skilled enough to start it as an actual side business. As you get better you will start to look at knives that you can see at shops and realize that companies put so much into R&D for metal composition and blade profile and then hand it off to some guy that runs it across a glorified belt sander to sharpen it... STUPID. As far as what kind of stones you need to get started ... don't go high end but you need to get a lapping stone if you get water stones so that you can keep the working surface of the stones flat. Good luck

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a sharpmaker, and it's good. Free hand is good too, it just takes time to learn.

I know its out of your budget but in my opinion the best sharpening system for knives is the edge pro. With this sytem you can sharpen any knife razor sharp and although it is expensive to buy it will be the only system you need.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Norton IM2 red India/black Crystolon combo. It's an inexpensive synthetic that works... I think the red side is like 320 grit.. and the black is about half that... The 11" version is under 40.00....

Top Bottom