What's new

Best Home made straight...

View attachment 5232

This is a vintage weck from ww2. I've modified a dovo shavette blade holder by sliming its sides down with sand paper and shortening its width to just barely cover the half of DE. It's approximately the width of a 2/8 straight and for those with goat tees or elaborate designs on their beards its the way to go! I've installed a feather blade and its fantastic. You can even apply against the grain stroke under your nose. The weight and balance are supreme and these E.Weck & Co. Sextoblade holders are very cheap and abundant on ebay. This one I got for less than 5 bux delivered and is almost brand new. Hope this will give an alternative to those that find the dovo shavette too light and too short... If it doesnt work ,, break it till it does..:biggrin:

So , i wanna know what u guys think of this. Its so perfect yet simple im surprised no one else has thought of this!!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, with a Feather blade I bet you can get some pretty good shaves! This is the first time I've seen a non-Feather option for holding one of their blades!

How easy is it to get the blades out once used? I'd hate to have to manhandle one of those babies even once they're "dull". :blink:

Well the holder is joined at the rear, it opens on this crease and the blades are placed within. When closed it slides in from the front, and to remove all you do is put your thumb nail on the rear of the holder and push it foward a bit till you can grab its front end. Pretty safe compared to some razors..:cool:
One of the main reasons for this was to allow me to turn the razor upside down to give a ATG under my nose while seeing what im doing.. This worked out perfectly...:biggrin:

Sorry, for bumping such a super old thread, but I just wanted to confirm, that this modification does work.

I took a Weck Sextoblade (which is heavy duty hair shaper; it has nearly the weight of a regular straight, and standard scales), and spread apart the blade holder, so I could slide the Green Shavette holder into it.

I didn't modify the Dovo blade holder itself, as no amount of modification would permit the holder to not hang slightly out the front.

The Dovo green holder uses a Fromm/Personna hair shaper blade.

proxy.php

Last edited:
What is the advantage of using the Weck over the Dovo holder itself?

Most people have found the actual Dovo Shavette to be way too lightweight. Overall it's quality also pretty chintzy.

One could use the Fromm blade with the Weck with no modifications, but this leaves a ton of blade exposure, and two spike points that are readily available to destroy your face.

Using the Dovo Shavette green holder gives you some protection from the blade, while keeping the overall heaviness of the Weck Sextoblade intact.

It's a best of both worlds kind of thing. :thumbup1:

Could you use the Wreck with just a standard Personna Plus Single Edge Razor Blade, but with out the guard?

The Weck is designed to use a Personna/Fromm Hair Shaper blade. This is different than the SE blade that a Gem razor uses. You can certainly install the blade, and leave the metal comb guard off of the razor. Many people have done this, effectively you get a small frameback straight.

The biggest issue with doing this, is that you have two square points (two spike points, one on each end of the blade) that you constantly have to watch out for. The Personna blade does attempt to round these off a bit, but they are still somewhat problematic.

Using the Dovo Green Holder makes the razor safer to use (although I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how it will perform).

You can buy a Fromm Hair Shaper at Sally Beauty for about $5, however the Vintage Weck is a far more robust tool with much more weight behind it.

Top Bottom