Thread: Merkur 23C Long Handle Safety Razor

Default Merkur 23C Long Handle Safety Razor

at 6'3", I find it tempting... my hands are huge for the Merkur Futur. thoughts?

This version of the classic Merkur safety razor features a longer handle for superior shaving control. At 4" long, it is designed for a comfortable and safe grip, especially for those with larger hands. For use with double edge blades.
    http://westcoastshaving.com/index.ph...products_id=50
    Beat Cop with a Paddle Strop

Images

This is, by far, my favorite razor. Go for it.
    Cheers,

Bob

I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one. - Dean Martin

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud Member of the Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    Soap For Hope is the Key - 2011
    The 3017 Journey - 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2013

I'm about your height as well. The 23c was my first DE and it is one of only a handful of razors I have kept after trying many. The 34c is also a great razor, as is the Futur ;-)

I was shipped a 23c by mistake and later put an open comb head on it and it was my go to for a while - until the sophistication of adjustables beckoned
    Multiblade in the beginning, single blade to the end!
    The Gillette Tech....a CHUMP in a world of Champion Razors!!!!

you might want to go for the 38c, the handle on the 23c is a bit thin, its about the thickness of a standart pencil or pen, the 38C has a similar lenght but a thicker handle, same goes for the long handled progress,

i cant belive im going to write this but...

you might want to find a 2nd hand vision, its a complex and very overpriced razor, i dont usualy recomend it to anyone, but it has a long and thick handle, makes you think it was designed for gentlemen who find normal razors too small or thin,
    A man who has died with no regret is a man who is either a fool or a psychopath,

There are things you can not apologize for, the ability to carry the consequences for your actions is the mark of a true man,

I'm quite happy with my 23C.

Quote Originally Posted by johnniegold View Post
    This is, by far, my favorite razor. Go for it.
    It's the razor i finally settled on.
    Stay thirsty, my friend

I would go for the Merkur Progress long handle if I were going for any long handle.

I have several Merkurs but the only one I would buy again is the 25C, the open comb version of the 23C; for me this handle is the nicest in the Merkur range both for lenght, balance and diameter.
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

I second the 38c if you got big hands like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Nathan View Post
    I would go for the Merkur Progress long handle if I were going for any long handle.
    +1,000,000
    Multiblade in the beginning, single blade to the end!
    The Gillette Tech....a CHUMP in a world of Champion Razors!!!!

The 23c is a fine razor. I bought it after finding the handle on the Merkur HD to be too short. If you find that you like the longer handle but want something heavier, then have cooncatbob make you a custom handle.

the 23c was my favorite Merkur razor by far, just a great balance, a smooth shaver... I have huge hands as well, it was a lot easier to manipulate the 23c than the HD!

Quote Originally Posted by mark_mw View Post
    +1,000,000
    I have small hands, and dislike short handled razors. They feel oafish and uncoordinated in my hand.

I would think you may like a nice long handled barber pole razor. They are thicker and heavier.

I've the longhandled slant and it is great.

I've had a long handled progress, with the custom handle from mer, for about a week now. This is the finest razor I own. It has a great weight, yet superb balance. And set on 2, it shaves like a dream. It also has the best grip of any of my razors. And it's the best looking of the lot too.

The future and visions are ginormous razors, but they have trouble in tight places like under your nose.

I have the 23c. It's a nice long handled razor. The handle, as others say, is thin and light. Still it has a nice balance. I like it. It's a mild shaver. The wife uses it and says it's so smooth she can't tell if there is a blade in it. It's a good razor if you want to try it.

Images

This was the first razor I bought and it is still my favorite. I like the longer handle it gives me more control.

It's all I've got, so can't compare it to anything else. But, I love it and will keep using it until I have some extra money for a HD or a slant.
    Matthew J. Clune

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Lather son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of lather in the morning."

Razors: 5/8 Dovo Best Quality, Merkur 23C
    Strop: Vintage Blades Latigo
    Blades: Derby Extras, Astra Platinums, and working on a sampler pack
    Brushes: Vulfix Pure Badger Medium & Simpson Case Best Badger
    Creams: Speick & GFT Violet
    Soap: Proraso w/Aloe & Green Tea
    AS: GFT Limes Skin Food, Proraso Pre/Post

I am also a 6'3'' and have a 23c, it is my only razor and have been using it since before joining the forum here. I am tempted at times to buy other razors, but cannot justify a reason, the shaves are that good.
    Brian