What's new

How is a disposable-blade straight razor not a straight razor?

I hear these people saying that a disposable-blade straight razor is not a straight razor. I use a disposable-blade SR and it works great. I've been using only 1 blade for at least 3 weeks and it stills works great. I looked up definitions of a straight razor online and here is what I found:

- A razor having a long blade set in a handle, usually folding like a penknife.

- A razor with a straight cutting edge enclosed in a case that forms a handle
when the razor is opened for use.

- A razor with a blade that can fold into its handle

Now it sounds to me that a disposable falls under those definitions.

I have never had a disposable but I assume it is because the feel is different. With a straight you have a gradual progression down to the the sharp edge of the blade. This is not the case with a disposable. I assume this difference could change a lot from blade angle to feel on the face.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How is a disposable-blade straight razor not a straight razor?

You acknowledge there is indeed a difference by the very title of your thread.
I don't think you'd get any of the straight razor users here or on any forum to agree that they are the same.
I know that the care and maintenance is very different, and though I have not used a disposable, I have listened to people much more experienced than I tell of the significant differences in the shave as well.

To some extent it will depend on the blade format used. Arguably, a "shavette" style that uses split DE blades will be different from one that uses thicker Feather AC style or Fromm injector blades. Which type do you use?

- Chris

straight razors have to be honed. DE blades don't. Straight razors last for life. DE blades don't. Straight razors can be handed down to generation after generation. DE blades can't.

Pretty straight forward to me.

I have tried using a regular straight razor, and there is a difference in feel between the two. I do acknowledge that a disposable is different than a regular. However, in my opinion a disposable is still considered to be a straight razor, just a different kind.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have tried using a regular straight razor, and there is a difference in feel between the two. I do acknowledge that a disposable is different than a regular. However, in my opinion a disposable is still considered to be a straight razor, just a different kind.

Well, arguably, a moped is a motorcycle, just a different kind, but don't show up at Sturgis on one.

If it works for you, that's all that really matters.
You don't have to have anyone confirm that it is or isn't the same thing as a straight. It's the shave that counts.
You've only got to make yourself happy my friend, doesn't matter what others think.

I would use a regular straight razor, but i'm in college now and I don't have the money for all the stuff that it takes. Also, when I had a regular straight razor, I dulled it the first time I tried stropping it, and that discouraged me a lot. If I could keep the edge sharp, that would make it a whole lot easier for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would use a regular straight razor, but i'm in college now and I don't have the money for all the stuff that it takes. Also, when I had a regular straight razor, I dulled it the first time I tried stropping it, and that discouraged me a lot. If I could keep the edge sharp, that would make it a whole lot easier for me.

It does take a little practice, but honestly, if an old dullard like me can do it, a bright young college student like you can!!

It's like a clip on tie vs. a real necktie. :001_tongu Just kidding> If it works for you, why worry about it?

I hear these people saying that a disposable-blade straight razor is not a straight razor. I use a disposable-blade SR and it works great. I've been using only 1 blade for at least 3 weeks and it stills works great. I looked up definitions of a straight razor online and here is what I found:

- A razor having a long blade set in a handle, usually folding like a penknife.

- A razor with a straight cutting edge enclosed in a case that forms a handle
when the razor is opened for use.

- A razor with a blade that can fold into its handle

Now it sounds to me that a disposable falls under those definitions.

A penknife also falls under that definition and if honed to a keen edge it could be shaved with, I'll stick to my "traditional" straights though. To me there is more to a "traditional" straight than just it's ability to remove body hair. A well made "traditional" straight is a thing of beauty and a joy to use. Yes it takes a lot more care than a disposable, and if you're not willing or able to give it the care it needs then a "traditional" straight is not for you, at least not yet. If you enjoy using a disposible then that's all that really matters.

The way I see it - both of these pictures look like horses, though only one is a horse

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sure a disposable blade, and a straight blade look very similar, and are used in a similar way - but theyre still extremely different.

In the way they are made
in the way they are used (blade length)
the way they are maintained
the way they are sharpened
the way they feel on the face
etc
etc
etc

Well, arguably, a moped is a motorcycle, just a different kind, but don't show up at Sturgis on one.

If I'm honest, this seems to sum up the superiority complex I detect in some straight razor shavers that just turns me right off. I really don't think it's in the spirit of B&B as a whole, and it's certainly not helpful.

I'm not saying that a distinction shouldn't be made between a traditional straight razor and these disposable blade devices. But there's no reason to be stuck-up about it. The Sturgis analogy proves only one thing - a straight, to some people, is all about status.

Am I saying that you should call a disposable blade device a straight razor? Should you ride your moped down the main drag at Sturgis? Not really - it's got quite a bit in common with an old-fashioned SE, but you wouldn't call it that either - just like a Moped has a lot in common with a bicycle. But you don't need to shame a guy for rocking a shavette, or a moped.

We'll to my mind a disposable blade straight razor is just another type of straight razor, just like framebacks, wedges, etc, and indeed even hollow grounds.

I use a hollow ground at home and a shavette when I'm away, I prefer my "real" straight because the shavette seems harsher but they're both straights to me.

OK so what I think isn't a dictionary definition but dictionaries just report how words are used, the idea that they are prescriptive and tell us how we *should* use words is mistaken. The speech community as a whole are the final arbiters of what words mean and if us English speakers choose to call a shavette a straight razor that's what it is.

luvmysuper, you're welcome to direct any additional ad hominem comments you have for me to my PM inbox, but your scathing response seems to further my point rather than support your own. This isn't the venue for whatever else you have to say to me, and that's as much as I have to say on it.

Here's how I see it, everyone above, I believe, agrees that there are differences between the two. Without making hasty generalizations about str8t shavers and superiority complexes, I think we all would have to agree that there is a distinction that goes with shaving with a str8t. Traditional str8t users don't see the disposables as being a true str8t, possibly because you don't have to learn all of the arts (honing, stroping and care) to use the tool. Perhaps it's kinda like training wheels in their eyes. And I believe you recognize the distinction, as you use a disposable str8t and want to be able to say "I use a str8t!"

Like it was noted above, someone said, use what works for you. I want to use a str8t someday and I thought of starting with a disposable so I could concentrate of technique first then care of the razor. Instead, I'm going to start with a traditional str8t. Why? because I like to challenge myself plus I like all things traditional. That's it.

Also, you're in college and I give you one hell of a nod that you recognize you can't afford all the needed tools that goes with a traditonal str8t. Too many younger college students don't have the discipline or maturity yet to make that decision and often just run up a charge card. Kudos to you!

Stick with what you have and be happy with it. When a birthday or Christmas comes around, hit'em up for a strop. Or, buy used on the BST. Nothing wrong with that! Watch for PIFS or maybe some veteran str8t shaver will just hook you up with some of their extras after reading this. Maybe someday soon you'll be posting to me tips on how to use a str8t and how to stop the bleeding when I give it a try.

Whew, its a good thing we're on the internet and not face to face. I don't believe that anyone is trying to belittle anyone else over what they use , or call a straight. After all it is a matter of preference, and all about what you like to use.

You could do the same thing with DE's, and argue that one is not as good as another, or that it doesn't shave the same. OOP's, sounds like I'm talking about straights again. But in the end, what does it matter? If you like what you shave with that's fine, if it works for you who cares?

I use the Feather straight, I love it, and I also have a Parker disposable blade straight, which is also fine for me. I enjoy using both. Are they real straights to me? Sure they are, I mean for sure their not DE's. I have no desire to strop, hone and do all the other things required for regular straights, so I'm fine with what I do.

As for the motorcycle bit, when I was younger I rode a 1200 full dress Harley, now I have a Honda moped. Things change as does life. I use it just for running around on. I'll tear up the streets at a blazing 23 mph at full throttle, but I don't give a &%*@. It gets me where I want to go, and gets 110 miles to the gallon. I don't think I spend $20 on gas for the whole season of riding it all over.

If you like what you use for a straight, either regular or disposable, and it does the job for you, then all is right in your world. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom