What's new

Heirloom Aristocrat arrived today!

Well, the Aristocrat I mentioned in my previous thread that my mother had squirreled away decades ago finally showed up on my doorstep today. I took some pics today to keep for posterity's sake since it's my first (and probably last) vintage NOS razor. Thought you guys might want to see some pics. I wish I had a better SLR lens for closeups. Maybe I'll dust off my ancient 2MP bang around camera and see if I can get anything better.

The case it came in is still something of a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that it was a simple dealer box or something similar. In any case, I'm greatly anticipating my first shave with this (tomorrow - in time for a job interview.)

Stunning, simply stunning!
The white case is gorgeous, too. Is it leather? Or perhaps leatherette?

Congratulations! Keep it safe, and may it serve you well!

Beautiful! You have an interesting and excellent quality combination on your hands. The razor is a #66, a favorite of many here and tremendously beautiful. The red case looks to be from a Parat, indicated by the "G" on the top of the clear lid.

Well done, Jay - it looks like it's in fabulous condition! :thumbup1:

@petr - I'm 98.6% sure I'm going to use it and give it to my kids. I *am* torn since it's NOS, but I'd rather use it and enjoy it and THEN pass it to my kids instead of just passing it down only to have them sell it for no good reason. (Well, other than the fact it may be quite valuable by then. haha) I figure there's a slim chance it's more likely to be kept instead of sold if someone in the family has actually used it. Or not!

@hypo_style - The case is sadly just a textured paper on a cardboard box. The very base of the box appears to be another textured paper painted silver.

@texbilly - Parat? Interesting, I'm going to have to look that one up. And yes, it's basically brand new, with the exception of being made decades ago. My great-uncle never used it - just gave it to his wife who passed it along. My mom wasn't sure what she would do with it as she had had it since the 70's or so. Fortunately I was able to enlighten her on what to do with it.

@everybody else - Thanks for the comments!

@petr - I'm 98.6% sure I'm going to use it and give it to my kids. I *am* torn since it's NOS, but I'd rather use it and enjoy it and THEN pass it to my kids instead of just passing it down only to have them sell it for no good reason. (Well, other than the fact it may be quite valuable by then. haha) I figure there's a slim chance it's more likely to be kept instead of sold if someone in the family has actually used it. Or not!

@hypo_style - The case is sadly just a textured paper on a cardboard box. The very base of the box appears to be another textured paper painted silver.

@texbilly - Parat? Interesting, I'm going to have to look that one up. And yes, it's basically brand new, with the exception of being made decades ago. My great-uncle never used it - just gave it to his wife who passed it along. My mom wasn't sure what she would do with it as she had had it since the 70's or so. Fortunately I was able to enlighten her on what to do with it.

@everybody else - Thanks for the comments!

Jay, here's some eye candy for you...I wonder if your relative had both sets and they were mixed at one point in time? The condition of the razor and case is just so nice! No matter, just enjoy - the #66 is a fantastic shaver!!!

Here's a #66:
proxy.php

And the Parat. Notice the case and the difference in handle design/diameter to the #66.
proxy.php

I hope that this won't derail people heaping wonderful praises on your find, but does anybody know if there is a way of figuring out a date of production for a British Aristocrat? I noticed in Bill's post above that the #66 pictured was labeled as 53/54. Does that mean all #66s were made in 53/54? Or is it just that particular one?

@texbilly - Very interesting. Was the Parat made exclusively in Germany? Only reason I ask is the case is marked Made in England. I'm pretty sure the reason the razor was in the case it's in now is that if it were that full presentation set shown in the pictures, I'm afraid my heart might have stopped. :D

I'm actually interested in BrianDiPalma's question, myself. Were the No66 only made in the two years?

Top Bottom