What's new

Futur "safety grip" (Inspired by mark_mv "safety sleeve")

DISCLAIMER "USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK. BLADES ARE VERY SHARP AND THERE IS ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY OF A INJURY"

I've seen the photo of "safety sleeve" (designed by mark_mw) for safe and easy gap adjustment on Futur and similar razors) on one of the recent Futur threads. I think this sleeve is a great idea, especially taking in account that many people complained about injuring themselves using Futur.

Personally, I haven't any problems with blade changing on Futur, especially considering the fact I change blades when both hands and razor are completely or almost completely dry, but I do admit that adjusting the gap might be somewhat tricky, especially in the middle of the shave when razor head is covered in soap.

So that, if you don't have one of those "safety sleeves" handy, consider to use "safety grip" - photo attached. Apply light pressure with your thumb on the razor head and it doesn't slip and even if it does, your fingers are completely out of razor's harm way.

Last edited:
I don't have any problems changing blades on my Futur.
sometimes I use a towel to hold the head, but most times i'm just careful when I pull it apart.
When I read the reviews of the razor before I bought it, it seemed to be a big deal to people.
My thoughts are to be safe however possible. I have cut myself changing blades, but it's been my own fault.:blushing:

sometimes I use a towel to hold the head, but most times i'm just careful when I pull it apart.
When I read the reviews of the razor before I bought it, it seemed to be a big deal to people.
My thoughts are to be safe however possible. I have cut myself changing blades, but it's been my own fault.:blushing:

:001_huh: Again...for want of a piece of plastic pipe....

Or one can lay the head against a flat surface, resting on either safety bar and simply turn the handle. No exposure to the blade at all.

I must admit that I don't understand why people have such trouble changing blades and adjusting their Futurs. If the Futur is wet and soapy, then grab the head with one end of the towel you are sure to have nearby and grab the handle with the other end of the towel. Always works for me.

I must admit that I don't understand why people have such trouble changing blades and adjusting their Futurs. If the Futur is wet and soapy, then grab the head with one end of the towel you are sure to have nearby and grab the handle with the other end of the towel. Always works for me.

And I'm sure there are straight razor users who can't understand people getting cut with that type, and we DE users that can't understand others being afraid of our razors as they use their electric or multiblades...:wink2:

Changing blades isn't the issue. It is while adjusting the razor that people maim themselves.

This is a good tip for those don't want to cut themselves. I have a question to those with Futur razors. Is it possible to set the head on a countertop and twist the handle to adjust?

Counter top approach might not work in zero gravity condition :tongue_sm

Rather then adjusting gap you might be rotating around your Futur. While it's safe for the fingers, gap will remain the same.

On a more serious note, what do you think folks use in space stations ?
I guess electric shaver, probably combined with some special vacuum add-on to avoid hairs floating all over.

I guess it's possible to do DE in some enclosed shower, when securely anchored to the wall, but technique must be modified since "let the razor's weight do the job" mantra will not fly, so to speak, because the lack of weight.

I hope they don't use cartridges - it's so ecologically "passe"

Counter top approach might not work in zero gravity condition :tongue_sm

Rather then adjusting gap you might be rotating around your Futur. While it's safe for the fingers, gap will remain the same.

On a more serious note, what do you think folks use in space stations ?
I guess electric shaver, probably combined with some special vacuum add-on to avoid hairs floating all over.

I guess it's possible to do DE in some enclosed shower, when securely anchored to the wall, but technique must be modified since "let the razor's weight do the job" mantra will not fly, so to speak, because the lack of weight.

I hope they don't use cartridges - it's so ecologically "passe"
From: http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/issedukit/en/html/t030405r1.html
proxy.php

Suction tube used for collecting excess hair.
Electric shaving is possible on board the ISS, but is has to be done next to a suction tube to avoid hairs floating around. To do wet shaving on board the ISS can be quite a challenge as there is no sink, and the water and shaving cream have a tendency to stick to the face. The cream and stubbles have to be wiped off from the razor blade with a tissue and carefully thrown away – the tiny and sticky stuff must not escape.

Competition is officially opened for developing a special wetshaving chamber for zero gravity conditions. With space tourism is slowly gaining the ground despite the recession, it might be a huge hit oriented to the rich and famous who demands only the best regardless of conditions and some stupid nature laws, like gravity etc.

Top Bottom