What's new

Open comb razors

Gentlemen,
I've been reading some members espousing open comb razors on another B&B thread. However, they didn't say why they liked them.
Any comments?

Respectfully
Wildcat

I like my open comb razors for the same reason I like safety bar razors: because I get good shaves with them. I also enjoy the aesthetics of an open comb. It just looks good.

What is the practical difference of having an open comb? I'm interested in trying one, but don't understand what if any changes in technique are associated with their use.

I assume they are marginally more aggressive than their barred brothers, is this correct? What properties would make a person prefer a slant over an open comb or vice versa?

i got an open comb about a month ago, a gillette NEW head and bull mastiff handle. its now my favorite razor. there isnt any added technique to using it, its just a good shave. they arent more aggressive than most razors, more of a good balance. i have a feather portable and a red tip superspeed that is far more aggressive than the NEW head. I dont really care to try a slant.

i got an open comb about a month ago, a gillette NEW head and bull mastiff handle. its now my favorite razor. there isnt any added technique to using it, its just a good shave. they arent more aggressive than most razors, more of a good balance. i have a feather portable and a red tip superspeed that is far more aggressive than the NEW head. I dont really care to try a slant.

Oh stop posting things like this!!!!!!!! I'll have to ban bobs site from my computer if anyone mentions his to die for razors again!!!!!:001_tt1:

Open-combs don't clog when you have days of beard growth. They also tend to be aggressive and I can get a great shave in 2 passes. Although not all open-combs are aggressive, most are.

I think a slant - however - is better. The slant slices instead of chopping, and I can use a Feather blade (extremely sharp) comfortably.

The best shaver I own.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of my Merkur 1904 open comb... granted it IS the only razor I own (currently!) so I have nothing to compare it to :001_tongu but I like the way it performs: two passes and done.

-ice

I have the Merkur 1904 open comb and it gives an almost effortless, smooth shave. Plus it looks cool. :001_tt1:

Just started shaving with a Gillette ”New.“ Despite its aggressive appearance, it's one of the smoothest shavers I've used.

I have a couple of SuperSpeeds, a Fat Boy and one open comb vintage Gillette. The open comb is the most aggressive by far. I get a good shave with one pass and then a little touch up.

Top Bottom