What's new

Feather manufacturing low cost version of their blades??

Hi,

I was in Japan the other day, and I stopped in a shopping mall to buy feather shaving supplies. The lovely Feather DE razor at just 700 yen (around 6 euro!!) and a box of 10 feather blades 500 yen... What surprised me is that I found a brand of blades in a blue cardboard box (no plastic container, just the box), and all the text was in japanese. I only could see the feather japanese website written on it, so I guessed they are also manufactured by them. Difference is, they were just 299 yen per 10 blades, which leads me to think... feather low cost?

I was searching for references in this site, some review, some comment... I might have missed it, but I found nothing. Does anybody know what am I talking about?... I am quite curious to see if they are real feathers...

thanks.

yes! I bought them. I don't have camera at the moment, but I can describe them as follows:

- The edges might be the same of the "big brother" normal Feather (that's what I am intrigued to know) but the body of the blade is totally black, probably made of some kind of plastic.

- The quality of shave can be described as quite average, but then again, maybe I had a bad day (I just tried them once).

If the intrigue continues and no other member can clarify further information, I will try to get a camera somewhere and upload some pics!

yes! I bought them. I don't have camera at the moment, but I can describe them as follows:

- The edges might be the same of the "big brother" normal Feather (that's what I am intrigued to know) but the body of the blade is totally black, probably made of some kind of plastic.

- The quality of shave can be described as quite average, but then again, maybe I had a bad day (I just tried them once).

If the intrigue continues and no other member can clarify further information, I will try to get a camera somewhere and upload some pics!

I'd be interested in a pic as well. I haven't run across these before.

I was wrong about not having a camera here! (recently moved in, so I am confused), so I could take a picture. Here it is. Sorry about the picture being a bit blurry, the camera is not mine and I don't know well all the settings:

proxy.php

As you can see, the blade is all black except for the edges. The package is very simple cardboard, but the feather logo makes very clear that it's manufactured by them...

R

rainman

Check out letter G. on this page. As I suspected, these are the carbon steel blades:

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx#72002

G. Double Edge Razor Blades FEATHER® Brand
Made from carbon steel. Feather® blades are well known to have super sharp edges. Easily breaks in half for use with any tissue slicing machine, or break smaller portions for use as a microscalpel with our Blade Breaker & Holder. (Catalog numbers 72005-20, 72005-24). Blades are available in packages of 10 blades per box or 500 blades per box.

Measurements: Width: 21.95mm (0.865”) x Length: 42.96mm (1.69”)
Thickness: 0.10mm (0.004”)

72002-01 Feather Double Edge Blade 10/bx 8.00
72002-10 Feather Double Edge Blade 500/bx 385.00

ah, that makes a lot of sense.... then I also found this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=713724

Are they supposed to be mainly oriented to other uses, rather than shaving? A google search places them in laboratories, surgery clinics... but not much shaving. A poster in that other B&B thread comments as well that they are not very good for this purpose. An I do agree. Being happy with the normal feathers, I found this to be disappointing. Still, they were being sold in the shaving supplies shelf on the store...

R

rainman

You can shave with them. Some other brands here and there aside from Feather sell carbon steel blades for shaving. In the old days, the carbon blades were all that was sold. The old Gillette blades, 50's and older were carbons and were very thick compared to a modern blade. I used a couple of them in a Gillette NEW that I got from an ebay auction and they seem to work fine. Better to stick with the stainless steel platinum coated blades.

Thanks for the pic and the info. I have not come across these in all the years I've lived here in Japan. I'll have to look closer.

as a hint, I got them in Toyu Hands shopping centre in Osaka. Other big cities might have Toyu Hands, I am not sure.

Top Bottom