What's new

Disaster

proxy.php

The good news is it did not shatter but broke into three mostly clean pieces. I'm thinking I'll glue it back together. Any advice would be appreciated.

That is too bad.

I would try to epoxy the pieces back.

Even if it did not come out a beauty it ought to allow you to get some milage out of that new knot.

Some Marine epoxy and a buffing will sort this out...the cracks will only add character...and the marine epoxy will not open again...that stuff is brutally hard!

Oof. that hurts to look at. Reminds me of Humpty Dumpty. I think Schwert has you covered with the epoxy idea, maybe even check a hobby shop or model shop and see if there is a good plastic bonding cement. Let it cure really well, give it a light sand and buff.Definitely salvagable. Or I have a brush I'd trade you for the head and knot heh :devil:.

I think I would have someone turn a replica handle out of a faux ivory stock or a nice wood and pop that head on there.

What was that base filled with?

Schwert,

I have had that in a couple handles now. It's like chalk. Like those big fat pieces of chalk from grade school. I was able to make something similar grinding up some plain ol' crayola chalk and mixing with water to make a slurry. It's almost like tile grout.

proxy.php

The good news is it did not shatter but broke into three mostly clean pieces. I'm thinking I'll glue it back together. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the handle.....I have broken my share.:blush: How did you break it and if you are worry about the knot....can you just cut it out?

Oouchy! That hurts to look at. That marine epoxy suggestion sounds pretty spot on. I'll bet you can still get some good service out of that bad boy.

I have seen the chalk thing. I usually just remove it all and then fill the whole thing with a structural epoxy. I don't trust that chalk stuff.

I would be tempted to drill out a good hole in the center of that chalk. Get a short stainless steel screw and put that up into the knot, then epoxy that screw and the base of the knot/rubber into the chalk. Then epoxy the shell back on the chalk.

I see the weak point of a repair being the bond between the base of the knot and the chalk. Adding a screw would give the junction some support. You could dovetail out the center drill into the chalk too, as this would provide even more support to the screw.

Removing all the chalk would make a clean reglue of the shell very hard at this point, but drilling into it in and epoxying the screw in may work.

I would be tempted to drill out a good hole in the center of that chalk. Get a short stainless steel screw and put that up into the knot, then epoxy that screw and the base of the knot/rubber into the chalk. Then epoxy the shell back on the chalk.

I see the weak point of a repair being the bond between the base of the knot and the chalk. Adding a screw would give the junction some support. You could dovetail out the center drill into the chalk too, as this would provide even more support to the screw.

Removing all the chalk would make a clean reglue of the shell very hard at this point, but drilling into it in and epoxying the screw in may work.

+1. I wouldn't try to remove all the chalk at this point. I had a broken one I tried this with and it just got even worse... epoxy everywhere. I nearly had a brush glued to my hand. I was just recommending it for the future. I think the epoxy internals would hold up much better than the chalk stuff. The screw idea may work...

Top Bottom