What's new

Merkur OC GOLD

No links or pictures because its a live auction on the Bay but there is a rare Merkur HD OC in gold plating for the taking. It appears to be in mint condition. The seller gives a complete synopsis of its condition. Search and you shall find

Are these really rare? Didn't they just stop making these within the last couple of years? The seller makes it out to be 50+ years old.

This is a good case of anything on the bay, "Buyer Beware!"
Yes, the term "vintage" does imply a certain amount of aging. At what point does a item becomes a "vintage" item? A previous era? Does the discontinuing of production make it a "vintage" item?

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what classifies something as "vintage", but an uncased, scratch-free gold razor likely isn't. At least the starting price is reasonable.

I don't know exactly what classifies something as "vintage", but an uncased, scratch-free gold razor likely isn't. At least the starting price is reasonable.
Well, if I had to apply a "rule of thumb", a vintage item (not a vintage wine) should be about 20 years old. It would come from a time and era where styles and approaches are somewhat different. Generally, about a generation of time. That's my thinking, however, and other people may have a different perspective.

Are these really rare? Didn't they just stop making these within the last couple of years? The seller makes it out to be 50+ years old.

I don't think the seller means to deceive anyone by using the word antique or rare. I think he just got carried away as he has sold other true antique razors that I saw in his previous auctions. Also Merkur stopped making 11G OC
but I don't know when so this particular razor might be old and quality as antique.

And as always caveat emptor

Top Bottom