What's new

Revelations from a newb...the light is turning on slowly :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm a few weeks in and already have severe ADs. Refining my technique I learned a few things, I'd like to share what helped the light bulb turn on slowly...and for the veterans..if any of these statements are incorrect, please feel free to correct me! I'm here to learn. :001_smile

1) Turn the sink off. Always helps to HEAR the sound of the whiskers being whacked.

2) Don't add too much water to the lather. I found out I had been making it too moist and the lather was too foamy and bubbly (from watching more mantic videos), and actually using less water produced a thicker more cushiony creamy lather. A more cream-like lather if you will. I now prefer to add less water to start out with and whip the lather up more before thinking it needs additional water and just mindlessly adding more.

3) Don't be afraid to chuck the blade or make more lather mid-shave. I had a bad shave because I wanted to finish my 3rd shave with this blade to get the most use out of it, rather than pitching it when it started to pull while shaving. If I had replaced it then, I'd probably have had a much better shave with less irritation that day. Same goes for lather. I do a multi-pass shave (usually 3 passes with touch up) and have tried to make my lather last when I probably should have just made another bit more. Would have helped improve my shave that day.

4) Don't force ATG - I have had mixed results with ATG shaving on my lower neck regions. The cheeks aren't a problem using ATG, but the neck is a different animal entirely. I found that you just cannot force it. Take your time, maintain the angle and don't rush it. If you feel it pulling, quit shaving and try again another time. All it takes is a few bad passes to ruin a shave. You can always try ATG the next time and avoid disparaging an otherwise good shave today! That being said, I have improved dramatically in my ATG shaving technique and tend to incorporate some ATG strokes into each shave now. Just take your time and work up to it..

5) Don't be afraid to try new techniques - I've tried J-hooking and blade buffing and have been using different XTG strokes. I like experimenting and finding out what works best to remove some of the peskier whiskers from my face in those troubling areas. J-hooking seems to work real well for just below my ears and the side of my jawline (where I usually always have some tough to remove hair down the jawbone.)
Thanks,

X

Last edited:
Great observations and advice. I think you are finding out that DE shaving has as much to do with feel as anything else. Blades tugging, the sound of whiskers being cut, the feel of the lather...when it's right it FEELS that way too.

Great observations and advice. I think you are finding out that DE shaving has as much to do with feel as anything else. Blades tugging, the sound of whiskers being cut, the feel of the lather...when it's right it FEELS that way too.

+1

They're all good points :thumbup:

With 6 months experience I'd like to add a little:

1/. Hearing the cut is a very good way to tell if you're angle is correct.
2/. You can always add more water later if you feel you need to, it's much easier than adding soap/cream.
3/. You're not using a cartridge so you don't need to feel you're getting value for money...you get that on the first shave with each blade! Good soaps last a long time, so whilst you're learning feel free to make LOTS of lather!
4/. I rarely even bother with ATG...I stopped trying to get BBS after about a week...DFS is quite sufficient and I don't get any irritation (touch wood).
5/. It's your shave so do what works for you....you'll enjoy the experience! :thumbup:
6/. Your shaves WILL get better and easier! :w00t:

I have been DE shaving for about a week now. The two main reasons that I went from cartrage to DE is the shave quality and the value.

I too have had DFS with my SS. And yes. These are some of the same things that I learned when I started. The main thing is. Don't be afraid to relather and shave again. Also try different things. If we just stuck to the main stream, then we would all be shaving with Mach 3's! What fun would that be?!?!

Josh

Top Bottom