What's new

Best inexpensive coffee grinder??

Ive been using the same Braun blade type grinder for about 8 years now and I think its getting ready to die the motor is making strange noises recently so I think Im ready to upgrade to burr grinder. Problem is, I dont really have $100+ to spend on a grinder right now. Are there any less expensive burr grinders that are any good? Im really just looking for a slightly more consistent grind then I get with my blade grinder with less fines so i can use my french press more often. I am the only coffee drinker in my house 95% of the time brew in my 16oz Chemex and once in a blue moon I use my tiny 12oz press so I only need to grind a few couple of tablespoons of beans at a time. Any ideas under $50-60?

Thanks

I bought a DeLonghi burr grinder from Costco for about $30. It was a while back, so they may not stock it anymore. It grinds at different settings and seems to do a decent job.

On further thought, after reading some of the other posters, I now realize that my cheap burr grinder is just that: Cheap! It is very loud, spins very fast, gives inconsistent grinds. You do get what you pay for and I can't recommend this one. I think I'll throw it away!

Last edited:
I purchased a Krups GVX2 at a Starbucks store for $60 a couple of years ago, and it was the least expensive burr grinder available at the time. I had recently switched from a drip coffeemaker to a french press, and was dissatisfied with the inconsistent results of a blade grinder. I've been very happy with this product and would buy it again.

Krups still has it on their web site:

I bought a $40ish "burr" from Bath & Beyond; it was crap. The motor spun at higher RPMs than an Indy race car and it created more fines than a flour mill. After trying to use it for a couple of weeks, I took it go GoodWill and bought a Baratza; VERY happy I did.

I bought a $40ish "burr" from Bath & Beyond; it was crap. The motor spun at higher RPMs than an Indy race car and it created more fines than a flour mill. After trying to use it for a couple of weeks, I took it go GoodWill and bought a Baratza; VERY happy I did.

Sounds like you had a Cuisinart.

You know, I think it was a Cuisinart. That thing sounded like a small chainsaw at full throttle.
I had one, sounded like a 767 taking off from SFO.

My small Krups (blade) has lasted 5 years, but yields very inconsistent results. I'll have to check out a refurb Baratza.

I use a kyocera manual grinder.
It's ideal for low quantities of coffee, and very fast
It takes about 1 minute for a double shot of coffee.
I think it'll last forever and grinds way better than any <$200 electric for less than $50

I use a kyocera manual grinder.
It's ideal for low quantities of coffee, and very fast
It takes about 1 minute for a double shot of coffee.
I think it'll last forever and grinds way better than any <$200 electric for less than $50

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I recently picked one of these up for a friend and he is very happy with it.

Thanks everyone Im going to check out the refurb Baratza. Has anyone tried one of the Hario manual grinders? Ive heard some good things about them and they are very inexpensive, I was thinking they may work well for me since I only need to grind a few tablespoons at a time.

Thanks everyone Im going to check out the refurb Baratza. Has anyone tried one of the Hario manual grinders? Ive heard some good things about them and they are very inexpensive, I was thinking they may work well for me since I only need to grind a few tablespoons at a time.

I have one and love it. It's my travel grinder.

A few notes:

-Hard beans take a lot more elbow grease to grind.
-The grind consistency is variable.
-The finer your grind, the more consistent it will be.
-There is no lid for the bean hopper. Sometimes they will bounce out.
-This grinder leaves the most aroma in the coffee (compared to any other grinder I have ever tried.. ever).
-The folks at the airport scanner will want to take it out to make sure it isn't something illegal when you travel with it. Even after telling them what it is, you will get funny looks.
-It's slow. The harder the bean (higher grown), the longer it takes.

+1

I have one going on 5 years and it has been a great grinder.

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB

I am going to purchase on of these too. I just got started drinking coffee made the proper way and have been using a cheap 20 dollar Krups grinder with the Clever Coffee Maker.
I had bought the grinder some time ago to use for herbs that I grow and it works fine for those. I feel much is to be desired when I use it for coffee.

The Krups grinder is fast and quiet, but seems to make a powder out of the coffee. I either have really big chunks mixed in with a course grind or a grind like powder.

You can try grinding a smaller amount of beans at a time, grinder for a shorter period of time and give it a few shakes while its grinding, this method seemed to work for me with my old Braun grinder. Luckily, with filter cone brewers you can get away with a less then perfect grind and still get a good tasting cup. But if you want to use a french press its much more important to have a nice consistent grind so your not swallowing coffee grinds in the second half of your cup:)

Top Bottom