What's new

David Beckham tears achilles tendon...

Wow. That really is awful. David Beckham was past his prime, and probably was not as good ever as the less expert seemed to think. But he had some uniquely honed kicking skills and I think he was very good for professional socceer.

One of the main reasons I started liking English Football (Soccer) was David Beckham and the the English Premier League. No one could bend it like Beckham! Not good news for soccer fans.

Doug

One of the main reasons I started liking English Football (Soccer) was David Beckham and the the English Premier League. No one could bend it like Beckham! Not good news for soccer fans.

Doug

Same for me. Although I've grown past him and realized his talent as a player is not commensurate to his star power (although he was still a damned good player), I'll always be grateful to his celebrity for being what encouraged me to give soccer a chance. I'm sorry it has to end this way for him. I was looking forward to him giving it one last shot at the World Cup.

Not the best player to have played the game, but a decent one. It is a shame that he probably won't make the World Cup.

The man on the news just said he has little or no change of being fit for the world cup.

Personally, as a Brit, I couldn't give a monkey's. Rugby is the proper game!

Gareth

I heard the news last night, I feel sorry for him as he does strive to be one of the best at his trade, and to miss out on the chance of making not only a world cup but the 4th.
It will be a massive loss.

Definitely a shame for Becks, but I don't think he will be missed from the squad. I think his influence off the pitch would be better than on the pitch. It must be great for the younger players to have him in the dressing room due to his experience. Although there is no denying his ability with dead balls, but does that alone warrant a place on the pitch?
For a while I saw Beckham as a symbol of what was wrong with the game, praised for his celebrity status and lifestyle, a complete sell out. I believe that was why Ferguson wanted to sell him. But maybe I was too cynical back then. I always wished he cared more about playing football than looking good. Remember that penalty :blink:

Definitely a shame for Becks, but I don't think he will be missed from the squad. I think his influence off the pitch would be better than on the pitch. It must be great for the younger players to have him in the dressing room due to his experience. Although there is no denying his ability with dead balls, but does that alone warrant a place on the pitch?
For a while I saw Beckham as a symbol of what was wrong with the game, praised for his celebrity status and lifestyle, a complete sell out. I believe that was why Ferguson wanted to sell him. But maybe I was too cynical back then. I always wished he cared more about playing football than looking good. Remember that penalty :blink:

I think he cares a lot about the game. I really do. I mean, he went to LA Galaxy for a ton of money to become a star in the US, but then he wanted to back out, so that he could play for AC Milan against top notch competition. I think he realized that he loved the game more than the celebrity. No doubt, he definitely loves being a star. He's certainly cultivated his brand.

He's been good for the sport and a positive role model for kids around the world. I was watching "The Hurt Locker" last night and one of the Iraqi children in the movie refers to himself as "Becks" and "Beckham" after David Beckham. Of course the movie is fictional, but there are children all over the WORLD who look up to the guy and emulate him. He's the biggest sports celebrity since Michael Jordan. Even though his foray in the MLS wasn't what it was supposed to be, I think he's pushed the sport over here, as well.

As far as whether England will miss him on the field, I don't know. I remember during the last World Cup, a lot of people were pushing for Aaron Lennon (I think) to replace him. I haven't followed the team enough to know where it stands.

Amazing that Beckham may well actually come back from this injury and play again. He may well have brought this on by overdoing it shuttling between three teams. I do not think there is any doubt about his dedication to the game, his leadership, his positive figurehead-type status, being a pretty decent guy all around dispite the celebrity, and his extraordinary skills as to the dead ball. And he was a decent player otherwise, no doubt. Certainly better than average for his positions among Premiership players, and to play at all in the Primiership is something special!

Soccer/football is not my favorite sport--College basketball probably is!--and there is a lot that annoys the heck out of me about soccer, but Becks is not one of the things that annoys me. If I looked like he does and had his skills, I would be a complete jerk I am sure, and he is not at all. (I liked the "Hurt Locker" reference, too.) Regrdless of the annoyances, soccer/football is a beautiful game. Hard to believe the World Club is so far along already.

Top Bottom