What's new

Should my badger shave brush smell like badger?

So, I got a brand new Vulfix 2006 shave brush and used it for the first time this morning.

It uh... seemed to still have some badger oil in it, maybe :confused1 Do they smell for the first few uses?

I'm not worried about it, it just was something I hadn't figured out.

And again... HOLY WOW it's so SOFT! Really, my old brush (VDH, $7 from CVS) was like a horse grooming brush by comparison.

I think this new brush is going to be much easier on my soaps, but not as exfoliating. I think I'd rather have too soft on my first pass than too stiff on the last two, though!

-William

Having never sniffed an actual badger, living or dead, I can't say that a new badger brush smells like the critter in question. I've been in fairly close proximity to a stuffed badger, but don't recall any particular odor, other than the shrimp we were boiling in the same room, but that's another story.

They do smell funky, though, but it does fade over time. Many folks report that Borax or vinegar helps to quickly quell the funk, but simple repeated use will do it, too.

Don't judge all boar brushes by that VDH. There are boars that will rival most badger brushes in softness and performance, and I prefer my Omega boar for most work with hard soaps.

Congrats on your new brush!

its animal hair, so its ok that it smells a bit like animal for the first few uses.

badger hair smell should vanish pretty quickly, boar lasts a little longer before it goes

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

No, absolutely not.
It should smell like Anteater or Aardvark.
If it doesn't, you got cheated and should send it back to the Vendor.

:lol: :w00t: :lol:

Just wash it with shampoo a few times to help tone down the "reek" a bit and it'll be better each time you use it.
Took about a week of use for the ones I have to stop smelling like a wet wild animal.

:lol: :w00t: :lol:

Just wash it with shampoo a few times to help tone down the "reek" a bit and it'll be better each time you use it.
Took about a week of use for the ones I have to stop smelling like a wet wild animal.

It will smell. It will go away. Give it a week or two.

+1 on these. Whenever I get a new brush I shampoo it a couple of time as soon as I get it. Then I give it a conditioner, and after a couple of shaves its fine, no smell.

Top Bottom