What's new

Gillette Super Speed and Slim: How tight is too tight?

Hey guys,

So I bought a Slim and a Gilette Super Speed. Both are in fully working condition.

So I take the SS and insert a blade and twist to tighten the head, and what I notice is that the twisting handle blocks a bit when the blade is still in a perfectly flat position, but I then can twist it again with more strength until the blade really bends at an angle and cannot twist anymore. I noticed the same thing with the Slim but to a lesser degree.

My question is: Should I stop the twist when the blade is completely secure in the head but still in a flat position, or do I continue twisting pushing the center of the blade towards the head's ceiling and thus giving the outer blade edges an angle?

I am confused. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would turn the knob untill the doors stop moving.
This should bend the blade to the proper shape.

When the doors stop moving the blade is completely flat and at no angle. If I turn more, the blade start bowing in the center.

Hey guys,

So I bought a Slim and a Gilette Super Speed. Both are in fully working condition.

So I take the SS and insert a blade and twist to tighten the head, and what I notice is that the twisting handle blocks a bit when the blade is still in a perfectly flat position, but I then can twist it again with more strength until the blade really bends at an angle and cannot twist anymore. I noticed the same thing with the Slim but to a lesser degree.

My question is: Should I stop the twist when the blade is completely secure in the head but still in a flat position, or do I continue twisting pushing the center of the blade towards the head's ceiling and thus giving the outer blade edges an angle?

I am confused. Thanks.

Superspeed -tighten it till it doesn't tighten anymore ( with no excessive force ).

Slim - tighten it till it stops and then there's a last 1/4 that locks the blade in ( like a two stage process ).

Blade should NOT be completely flat.

Does that make any sense ????:blush:

So in neither cases should the blade be completely flat?

Under no circumstances should you ever shave with a DE blade that has not been formed into an arc. What's more, it should be firmly clamped down.

This is not a blade that is made to be used flat.

- Chris

The blade should have a nice curve to it. Think of looking at a 3 piece razor from the end of the shave head, like this one. The blade is curved quite a bit, since it is squeezed between the 2 plates of the shave head. Blades that are installed in a TTO razor should have the same basic curved shape. I love:001_wub:Mr. Razor's site!!!

This thread is four years old - I just wanted to say that the information is still excellent. The best I've seen on the topic.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Top Bottom